05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Who's replacing their Shaker?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/05, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Shaker 500 and was surprised it sounded so good. Maybe it's just because my previous cars (even new ones) just didn't sound as good. There's definitely enough bass if you aren't looking to shake the cars around you.
Old 2/20/05, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I am replacing it with another Shaker because mine is defective!
Old 2/20/05, 08:07 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Replaced mine with the update last week....Now its not an embarassment.
Old 2/20/05, 09:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might have missed something, but the Shaker "problems" we have all heard about have pretty much been restricted to the 1000, and not the 500, correct?
Old 2/20/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll have to listen to it first, but on every car I have ever owned, I was never really happy with the factory speakers.

I went to a reputable car stereo place in my area yesterday, and the guy hasn't done an '05 yet, or seen the Shaker system. However, he said he has experience with the older Mach systems. He told me that in the Machs, you really couldn't just replace the speakers, because the factory speakers were 2-ohm. I don't know if this is true or not, but it sounded reasonable.

On another thread in the '05 Audio and Interior forum (where this post probably should be moved), someone posted that he looked at the rear deck speaker, and it was a 4-ohm speaker. So, if all the speakers are 4-ohm, then it should be possible to replace to factory speakers with better-quality aftermarket speakers.

Information on this is sketchy so far, but someone posted that the factory speakers have paper cones and small-ish magnets. I haven't heard this verified yet, or seen pics of the factory speakers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the speakers were chintzy.

So, unless the speakers sound REALLY good, if they are 4-ohm I will be replacing them, including the door subs. I will probably keep the Shaker head unit.
Old 2/20/05, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@February 20, 2005, 9:10 AM
Replaced mine with the update last week....Now its not an embarassment.
April: What do you mean, "...the update..." ? Did you get a new Shaker, or an after market unit ? Please clarify. Thanks.
Old 2/20/05, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by jsaylor@February 20, 2005, 10:24 AM
I might have missed something, but the Shaker "problems" we have all heard about have pretty much been restricted to the 1000, and not the 500, correct?
I hope you're right (since I ordered the 500), but I believe it involves both.

Can anyone clarify??
Old 2/20/05, 09:59 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I got the updated shaker B series...Replaces the A series. No more gremlins....

Its the headunit itself which had electronic misfires on the shaker 500..This affected the headunits in the Mustang and Ford 500.

Run the self test when the shaker is on FM press the 3 & 6 buttons when the series runs the serial # that shows when the test passes will end in either A or B.

If you have it replaced- ask for the updated B, and you can find out if they gave you a broke a or fixed B by running that test.
Old 2/20/05, 10:39 AM
GT Member

i already had it in my plans before the gt was purchased. replaced with pioneer (NAV/DVD) but kept the factory speakers and amps.
Old 2/20/05, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replaced my deck with a clarion sirius unit, and am planning to do the same thing that someone else posted on here about with jl audio 8 inchers in the doors, component speakers and 6 channel amp. Just waiting till I can get settled somewhere finally and find a good installer.
Old 2/20/05, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs up

Originally posted by PerfWhite05@February 20, 2005, 11:42 AM
i already had it in my plans before the gt was purchased. replaced with pioneer (NAV/DVD) but kept the factory speakers and amps.
So PerfWhite, you didn't have any kind of issues with the factory speakers and the new head unit setup? I've heard to the contrary that there isn't a setup yet that can work with the Shaker1000. Which setup do you have? I'm thinking the issue was with the rear woofers in the trunk, but I could be wrong. Also, where did you have it installed, or did you do it yourself? I'm really wanting to get an Alpine setup (head unit and amps) but I want to keep the factory speakers until they go. Why spend all that money on new speakers when the ones in the car now are fine? I'm sure you were thinking the same thing. Anyway, I'd be very interested to hear the ins and outs of your new stereo. Thanks in advance.
Old 2/20/05, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Shaker 500 rocks...Had my car since October and no problems whatsoever, even after 100's of cd's/MP3 disks.

That AVN2454 is very tempting though: http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/avn/avn_top.htm

I'd like to see a picture of the GPS sensor
Old 2/20/05, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Maybe someone else can answer my question. Simply, can you get a new head unit and an amp or amps to run everything with the Shaker1000? If anyone has successfully done this, what does it sound like? Thanks in advance.
Old 2/20/05, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by PalaceOfStangs1+February 20, 2005, 11:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PalaceOfStangs1 @ February 20, 2005, 11:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PerfWhite05@February 20, 2005, 11:42 AM
So PerfWhite, you didn't have any kind of issues with the factory speakers and the new head unit setup? I've heard to the contrary that there isn't a setup yet that can work with the Shaker1000. Which setup do you have? I'm thinking the issue was with the rear woofers in the trunk, but I could be wrong. Also, where did you have it installed, or did you do it yourself? I'm really wanting to get an Alpine setup (head unit and amps) but I want to keep the factory speakers until they go. Why spend all that money on new speakers when the ones in the car now are fine? I'm sure you were thinking the same thing. Anyway, I'd be very interested to hear the ins and outs of your new stereo. Thanks in advance.
[/b][/quote]

I had it installed at New Wave Sound in Gardena,CA. There are no real issues for an experienced installer. When the unit was first installed it had to be done without a wiring harness for the factory amps but all he had to do was find the wires and tap into the correct wires. For a couple of weeks I had some power feedback (popping) when the factory amps powered up because of the difference in power from the two head units (according to the installer) but after the Metra wiring harness was delivered he installed the harness and a small resistor (filter) and now everything is fine. The new head unit completely controls the entire system all factory amps and subs work just fine.
Old 2/20/05, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

Nice! Thanks Perf. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!
Old 2/20/05, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by PalaceOfStangs1@February 20, 2005, 12:44 PM
Nice! Thanks Perf. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

No problem.. Actually it's quite rewarding when it's all said and done.
If I were you I'd keep the factory amps and speakers just to see how you like them first. I actually get better sound because the new head unit has a built-in EQ so I can fine tune the system for a more refined sound. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with the quality of the factory speakers and amps after you change the head unit. That's not to say aftermarket wouldn't be better but you'll save money in the long run and the way Ford has the factory setup (placement of speakers, amps, etc.) it's pretty clean.. I wish you all the best with your setup...
Old 2/20/05, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@February 20, 2005, 11:02 AM
I got the updated shaker B series...Replaces the A series. No more gremlins....

Its the headunit itself which had electronic misfires on the shaker 500..This affected the headunits in the Mustang and Ford 500.

Run the self test when the shaker is on FM press the 3 & 6 buttons when the series runs the serial # that shows when the test passes will end in either A or B.

If you have it replaced- ask for the updated B, and you can find out if they gave you a broke a or fixed B by running that test.
April: Thanks a bunch. I had never seen anything along those lines before. I'll be sure to check mine out, whenever it comes in.
Old 2/20/05, 09:01 PM
V6 Member

Thanks again Perf. I am wanting to invest in a pretty expensive head unit that also has the adjustable equalizer to fine tune the quality. Hearing about the speakers sounding better makes my decision a bit easier now. I am going to call Tweeter sometime this week and set up an appointment to have them look at the car. I am tempted to have the dealership install the "B" series, but I'd rather just pay a little bit of money for the Alpine setup and not have to worry about skipping, jumping to the next track at weird times, etc. Plus, I feel much better now that I see you got exactly what you wanted out of the factory speakers with the new unit installed. Thanks for the help.
Old 2/20/05, 10:43 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Wow...No one seemed to have a hard time parting with the six disc in dash mp3 changer. I think that and the door subs place the shaker system as one of the best stock set ups I have ever seen and heard. I am currently looking for an overhead unit or even visor screens, but I won't touch my head unit.
Old 2/20/05, 11:25 PM
V6 Member

I don' tlike the door subs. When I'm going down the road and listening to a particularly bassy tune, all 3 of my mirrors vibrate to the beat. Lame sound deadening (lack of). But, better that it be the subs down there than regular mid range which is what other car companies do.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Who's replacing their Shaker?