05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Who has the "dimmer" feature working on their Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/07, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has the "dimmer" feature working on their Nav?

I recently had my AVIC-D# installed and they did not install the dimmer feature because theres chances where it may ruin the HU. He said that if the car and HU dont match in voltage that it could cause a problem. He is more then willing to have the feature connected but I sign a waiver releasing him of any problems if they occur.

So I was wondering how many of you have that feature working and if you've had any problems with it? Like I said they are more then willing to connect it, he said hes never heard of any problems but company policy(Circuit City) insist people sign waivers.

I believe he said that D3 HU is 12v. Anyone know if the cable he taps into is also 12v to match? Thanks
Old 8/15/07, 02:09 PM
Cobra Member

I have it working on my Kenwood unit. Have had it hooked up for nearly 2 years without any issues at all. The wire from the head unit is wired in to the dimmer switch. The display for the radio switches to night mode when you turn the lights on. My original navigatino unit (KNADV4100) would change to night mode based on what the radio was doing. I have since changed to the KNA GP510 navigation system and it changes to night mode based on the time of day.

[insert cheap plug here]
My KNADV4100 is forsale
[/end plug]
Old 8/15/07, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hawgman
I have it working on my Kenwood unit. Have had it hooked up for nearly 2 years without any issues at all. The wire from the head unit is wired in to the dimmer switch. The display for the radio switches to night mode when you turn the lights on. My original navigatino unit (KNADV4100) would change to night mode based on what the radio was doing. I have since changed to the KNA GP510 navigation system and it changes to night mode based on the time of day.

[insert cheap plug here]
My KNADV4100 is forsale
[/end plug]
Ignore this post. Im an idiot.
Old 8/15/07, 10:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by hawgman

[insert cheap plug here]
My KNADV4100 is forsale
[/end plug]

Yeah the guy at Circuitcity wasn't against it because he has his wired to the dimmer wire on his AVIC-D1. Hmm decision decisions... The daytime lighting is pretty bright for night driving. Rather distracting
Old 8/15/07, 11:57 PM
V6 Member

Print this out and show it to him:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3581800/tm.htm
Old 8/16/07, 03:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Yeah the guy at Circuitcity wasn't against it because he has his wired to the dimmer wire on his AVIC-D1. Hmm decision decisions... The daytime lighting is pretty bright for night driving. Rather distracting
Kinda like watching TV at night isn't it...

I say have them hook it up ( or do it yourself ). Aout of all the boards I frequent I have not seen one single person report any issue with any brand head unit that was a result of hooking up the light to it.
Old 8/16/07, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Glacial
Print this out and show it to him:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3581800/tm.htm

Thanks. Sounds good.
Old 8/18/07, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I recently had my AVIC-D# installed and they did not install the dimmer feature because theres chances where it may ruin the HU. He said that if the car and HU dont match in voltage that it could cause a problem. He is more then willing to have the feature connected but I sign a waiver releasing him of any problems if they occur.

So I was wondering how many of you have that feature working and if you've had any problems with it? Like I said they are more then willing to connect it, he said hes never heard of any problems but company policy(Circuit City) insist people sign waivers.

I believe he said that D3 HU is 12v. Anyone know if the cable he taps into is also 12v to match? Thanks

Pure BS. If your dealer does not know enough about your car to properly install the unit, you REALLY need to go elsewhere. You paid for a professional install. Not weasel words. Tell them to complete the install or give you a refund and you are going elsewhere. Bozos.
Old 8/18/07, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Pure BS. If your dealer does not know enough about your car to properly install the unit, you REALLY need to go elsewhere. You paid for a professional install. Not weasel words. Tell them to complete the install or give you a refund and you are going elsewhere. Bozos.

Well like I mentioned there more then willing to install the feature he just said CircuitCity will have my sign a release waiver to do it.

From what I can remember from the conversation it has to do with the amount of volts the dimmer/battery emits(?). He mentioned something about the car volts(12v?) might not match the HU, or something to that effect.
Old 8/19/07, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Well like I mentioned there more then willing to install the feature he just said CircuitCity will have my sign a release waiver to do it.

That's not appropriate. Do or not do, no try as Yoda would say. They either know how to install properly or don't. Signing a waiver is saying 'we're not sure but if you want us to muck with it anyway, sign here and whatever comes of it is on you" Simply not good enough. They need to complete the job they contracted to do, without a waiver. Or put it back and go somewhere that KNOWS what they are doing. This waiver thing SCREAMS "run dont walk away"