05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

White Faced Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/07, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Faced Gauges

Maybe I missed them, but I haven't seen too many posts by folks with white faced gauges. I always had a hard time seeing the gauges in my '05, so I went with the gauge face from usspeedo www.usspeedo.com .
If it isn't too big, I'll try to post a pic. I may have to reduce the size and post it again, but here goes....Nope. NG. I'll try again later.
Old 1/10/07, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anxious to see those pics.
Old 1/11/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, here goes. I hope it works this time. I think the files were too big, so I did a little adjustment. Hey, it worked. Sorry about the night shot. I got a little too close and it's out of focus.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1168539707

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1168539707

Last edited by Northwest GT; 3/6/08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 1/11/07, 11:30 AM

I'm like you, I have a hard time seeing the gauges also........did the white make a difference ?
Old 1/11/07, 11:49 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very nice, I wonder do they also come in different shades of white? Maybey a less white, if that makes sense.

Thanks
Old 1/11/07, 01:01 PM
GT Member

How was the install as far as getting the needles back in place? That's always been the tricky part. Anyone have the silver ones?
Old 1/11/07, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

here is one of my major questions, when you put in the guages did you notice a blub or LED behind the shiftlight arrow on the RPM's, with the white face guages you see the Arrow alot better but people say there is no light but since you did this can clarify for us if there was
Old 1/11/07, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has come on
Old 1/11/07, 08:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deric
Mine has come on
with my 07, the dash is always backlit.
Old 1/11/07, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, a couple of things. There is an arrow on the tach, but there is no light for it in my '05 auto. You can see it in the pic. Maybe it's active in other cars. The gauges are much easier to read in a variety of lighting situations. In daytime, the numbers show up dark. Although there is still some backlighting, sort of light grey as soon as you turn on the ignition. Then of course at night, the MyColor comes through just fine. The gauge faces from USSpeedo do come in different colors.

Now, here's my story about installing them. I had them in my '96 so I know how difficult it was to put them in and get everything right. But, fortunately for us, the S197 gauges operate on a different principle from the old SN95's. When you remove the needles you leave the power off, and replace them with the power off. They should be right on, so they say.

But, I chickened out. I sent my gauge cluster to USSpeedo and they put the face on. Cost me a lot in shipping, but they don't charge extra to install them, and they did a perfect job.
Old 1/11/07, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
OK, here goes. I hope it works this time. I think the files were too big, so I did a little adjustment. Hey, it worked. Sorry about the night shot. I got a little too close and it's out of focus.
Look good. I put white face gauges in over a year ago. I like the look, but can't read the numbers during the daytime with the top up because of the white backlight. GRRRR. Sometimes I don't know how fast I am going without straining to see the stupid numbers. One of these days I am putting the old ones back in. Do yours have the same problem?
Old 1/12/07, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

With those "tunnels", gauge visibility is probably always going to be a problem. The factory black background was really bad. The white face is a big improvement. But I know what you mean about certain lighting conditions in daytime. I have a 'vert too. What I do is just pop on the parking lights. The MyColor is set to blue, and it is quite visible against the white.
Old 1/12/07, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

You can send the white face gauges my way! I'll pay you some $....

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
Look good. I put white face gauges in over a year ago. I like the look, but can't read the numbers during the daytime with the top up because of the white backlight. GRRRR. Sometimes I don't know how fast I am going without straining to see the stupid numbers. One of these days I am putting the old ones back in. Do yours have the same problem?
Old 1/15/07, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

OK, I guess I am missing something.
The face of the gauges changes to black when the lights are on, correct?
If that is the case, what keeps them from changing to black in the daytime when the backlighting comes on?
Old 1/16/07, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
OK, I guess I am missing something.
The face of the gauges changes to black when the lights are on, correct?
If that is the case, what keeps them from changing to black in the daytime when the backlighting comes on?
No, the gauge face stays either Black or White, depending if you have the factory black or aftermarket white (or silver). It is the NUMBERS and LINES that change color. During the day the white backlighting of the numbers and lines makes it near impossible to read (white backlighting on white gauge face) unless the sun hits the gauge tunnels just right (with the top up on a vert). In that case the numbers and lines appear black (which they always do in my Sport Trac with factory white face gauges). With the top down on my vert, the numbers and lines show up just fine during the day, as they always appear black. Night time is not a problem with either scenario.
Old 1/16/07, 04:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

aluminum colored faces

These are my aluminum colored NR gauge faces, that I installed back in 2005. The only problem, shown in the last picture, is at times the numbers are difficult to read during daylight backlighting conditions. But overall, I couldn't be any more pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails White Faced Gauges-dsc01448.jpg   White Faced Gauges-dsc01454.jpg   White Faced Gauges-dsc01441.jpg   White Faced Gauges-dsc01437.jpg  
Old 1/17/07, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I have metric gauges, and have been looking around for metric white face but no luck. Any suggestions?

And you say that it is at times hard to read in daylight because of backlight? Do the numbers show up in white and blend in, or do they come up in black?
Old 1/17/07, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
I have metric gauges, and have been looking around for metric white face but no luck. Any suggestions?

And you say that it is at times hard to read in daylight because of backlight? Do the numbers show up in white and blend in, or do they come up in black?

Might wanna try Roush or Maybe Steeda and see what they use for teh Canadian cars.
Old 1/17/07, 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I haven't seen Roush, but I don't want any script on the faces like steeda has.

Cheers
Old 1/17/07, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Roush has script as well.

Quick Reply: White Faced Gauges