05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Where's the Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/05, 05:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MustangDan@March 19, 2005, 3:32 AM
Look at the bright side, less leather the better, makes your car a little more humane.

The only problem now is if you were giving me or another of your vegan friends a ride how would we get into the back seat? How would we get out?
vc4life, Yea that is a bit much for our leather is'nt ! I was going to order a little leather for the rear panels and the lady from the upholster told me that the only parts that wear leather was were you sit and that leather is not sold in yards , it's sold in square inches, and that she recamended doing it in vinyl. that you can't tell the difference with it on the car . That if you did it in leather, It would be very exspensive, for example she said to do all leather on just the front seats would cost around $1000 dollars. So I learned something I did'nt know, cause I thought that it was all leather too. Untill I got off the phone with her.I was not trying to be a smart A, I was just passing what I found out! I still enjoy my 05 gt, even if it 's not all leather. But in a year or two I might try to replace it with custom interior....I already have Scossche as a sponsor for my stereo upgrades..They have been very helpfull...I will post pictures of the car when i'm finished with the interior, and BBR body kit. sometime in early April.. Sorry to go off the original topic.
Old 3/19/05, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this, I went and checked my back seats. Man thats some realistic looking pleather in the back seats. The grain matches the bolsters in the front. Even when I was applying the leather cleaner/conditioner I had no clue, and I can spot a faux leather jacket from 50 yards.

The real tell tale sign though is the very front of the front seats, how is kinda wrinkles a tad bit and has a more dull finish. But darn it looks and feels pretty good for vinyl. Guess it really IS a retro interior :P
Old 3/19/05, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

I'm dissappointed, also. But I disagree about rear seat delete. I'm 5'11", 180#. I can sit in back for short trips. Besides, children can sit back there. Save the money, and fold the rear seat!
Old 3/19/05, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 38special@March 17, 2005, 10:19 PM
nicksolheim

MMR makes a rear seat delete kit. From the photo on their website it looks cheap. I took the seats out once just to eyball what would need done and I cannot believe how light the rear seat were. I also could make a rear seat delete for a lot less than 150 dollars.
Any guess on the weight? MMR claims you can save 40lbs. I know the fold-down seats in my Taurus weigh about 60lbs, so I can believe saving 40 if the Mustang is the same.

I thought about a delete kit, but if the weight savings is minimal, forget it.
Old 3/19/05, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@March 19, 2005, 10:01 AM
After reading this, I went and checked my back seats. Man thats some realistic looking pleather in the back seats. The grain matches the bolsters in the front. Even when I was applying the leather cleaner/conditioner I had no clue, and I can spot a faux leather jacket from 50 yards.

The real tell tale sign though is the very front of the front seats, how is kinda wrinkles a tad bit and has a more dull finish. But darn it looks and feels pretty good for vinyl. Guess it really IS a retro interior :P
Bill, good point about the "retro", didn't think about it that way. And yup, the "pleather" is pretty good looking. BUT IT'S STILL CHEESY and I'm gonna pout for just a little longer. Or.....maybe I'll go for a drive and cheer up
Old 3/20/05, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

I just pulled the 05 Mustang brochure, page 23, specifications, GT option - "leather-trimmed sport bucket seats".
John
Old 3/20/05, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i wouldnt know. i left the plastic on the rear and front seats haha
Old 3/21/05, 10:38 PM
GT Member

Yeah, I picked up my mustang on Nov 4th and knew before then the back seats were not leather... b/c of reading this site! I understand how someone might be a bit dissappointed if they found out AFTER their purchase... but like others have said, I can't tell the difference anyway.
Old 3/22/05, 08:00 AM
GT Member

"It would be very exspensive, for example she said to do all leather on just the front seats would cost around $1000 dollars. "

I don't think it would cost that much for front and rear. Classic Soft Trim is a good leather and cost me only $1395 to do 3 rows on a toyota sequoia.
Old 3/22/05, 10:08 AM
V6 Member

Check out the bold below! If you want red leather front and rear, add $175, but you have to select IUP. I guess this is after selecting the $695 Sport Bucket seats? I'm confused, are you? It does say red leather front & rear?

Special Packages MSRP

Interior Upgrade Package $450.00

- Satin Aluminum Finish Instrument Panel Appliqué - Ribbed Pattern
- Special New Bright Polished Six-Gauge Cluster with MyColor Feature and Message Center
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Satin Aluminum Spokes
- Satin Aluminum-Plated Shift Lever with Automatic Transmission
- Bright Polished Register Rings and Leather-Wrapped Sport Shift **** for Manual Transmission
- Satin Aluminum-Plated Door Handles
- Satin Aluminum Door Sill Scuff Plate with Bright MUSTANG Lettering Insert
- Dark Charcoal Aberdeen Pattern Front Door Panel Inserts

Interior Sport Appearance Package $195.00

- Satin Aluminum-Plated Shifter Lever with Automatic Transmission or Leather-Wrapped Sport Shift **** with Manual Transmission

Interior Color Accent Package $175.00

- Dark Charcoal Interior Environment with Dark Charcoal Carpet
- Red Sport Bucket Leather Front and Rear Seating Surfaces with Red Front Door Trim Inserts and Red Floor Mats

Options/Upgrades

Shaker 500 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 8-Speakers $665.00

Shaker 1000 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 10-Audiophile Speakers $1,770.00

17" Bright Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels $195.00

Aberdeen Embossed Leather-Trimmed Sport Bucket Seats $695.00
Wheel Locking Kits $50.00

Active Anti-Theft System $255.00

Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags $370.00

Spoiler Delete Option

5R55S 5-Speed Automatic Transmission $995.00
Old 3/22/05, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by r6640am@March 22, 2005, 11:11 AM
Check out the bold below! If you want red leather front and rear, add $175, but you have to select IUP. I guess this is after selecting the $695 Sport Bucket seats? I'm confused, are you? It does say red leather front & rear?

Special Packages MSRP

Interior Upgrade Package $450.00

- Satin Aluminum Finish Instrument Panel Appliqué - Ribbed Pattern
- Special New Bright Polished Six-Gauge Cluster with MyColor Feature and Message Center
- Satin Aluminum-Plated Shift Lever with Automatic Transmission
- Bright Polished Register Rings and Leather-Wrapped Sport Shift **** for Manual Transmission
- Satin Aluminum-Plated Door Handles
- Satin Aluminum Door Sill Scuff Plate with Bright MUSTANG Lettering Insert
- Dark Charcoal Aberdeen Pattern Front Door Panel Inserts

Interior Sport Appearance Package $195.00

- Satin Aluminum-Plated Shifter Lever with Automatic Transmission or Leather-Wrapped Sport Shift **** with Manual Transmission

Interior Color Accent Package $175.00

- Dark Charcoal Interior Environment with Dark Charcoal Carpet
- Red Sport Bucket Leather Front and Rear Seating Surfaces with Red Front Door Trim Inserts and Red Floor Mats

Options/Upgrades

Shaker 500 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 8-Speakers $665.00

Shaker 1000 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 10-Audiophile Speakers $1,770.00

17" Bright Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels $195.00

Aberdeen Embossed Leather-Trimmed Sport Bucket Seats $695.00
Wheel Locking Kits $50.00

Active Anti-Theft System $255.00

Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags $370.00

Spoiler Delete Option

5R55S 5-Speed Automatic Transmission $995.00
With classic soft trim are you 100% shure it will be all leather everywhere on the seat ? you might want to ask them to be shure, and what I have learned after talking to the upholster. I would ask for it in writting, that way you would have proof, If they did'nt do it.just a thought.
Old 3/22/05, 05:17 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah the interior is bit disappionting to me as well....the fake leather vinyl "Pleather" is cheesy and even the leather Ford uses on the front two seating surfaces is not real high grade....my LS had "buttery" leather - it was nice.....and is it just me or with a fully loaded GT Preimum the rear quarter panel insterts should have come with the aberdeen pattern vinyl in the middle area - just like the front doors....that back seat area is really cheap....

But like many of you pointed out - I'm not sitting back there anyways
Old 3/22/05, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by bassinbc@March 22, 2005, 9:03 AM
"It would be very exspensive, for example she said to do all leather on just the front seats would cost around $1000 dollars. "

I don't think it would cost that much for front and rear. Classic Soft Trim is a good leather and cost me only $1395 to do 3 rows on a toyota sequoia.

And Bobby - don't forget - you ordered aftermarket and purchased a small quantity - Ford on the other hand must order trainloads of this stuff and get it much cheaper - then they mark it up (quite a bit for us).
Old 3/22/05, 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

Leather/Pleather....who cares in the end - I've had a rough day and it just plain old feels GOOD to biatch about it!!

hmmmm would that really be "in the end" or "on the end"

All I know is that I WANT A SHELBY COBRA GT500....that'd make my day and I'm gonna have to seriously have to consider trading up

man-o-man 450 HORSEPOWER and I was thinking my GT was feeling fast - the GT 500 would have my g-friend wetting her pants
Old 3/23/05, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

While on the subject, do you use the leather cleaner/conditioner on the leather wrapped steering wheel? Just curious...

Thanks,
porkster
Old 3/24/05, 11:51 PM
V6 Member

leather/vinyl - whatever. Having had a full leather M3 interior go to crap after 4 years due to sitting in one seat - all the rest looked brand new, the driver seat like it was a cabbies - I'm all for durable designs. I got the red interior and will double check what's in back just for care's sake - but if it is vinyl, I smell a lawsuit!

As far as vegan friends - isn't that an oxymoron? I mean c'mon, we're driving cars that get 17 MPG, we shold be taking those folks to outback to dine on cows that used to smoke but now have no voiceboxes

P
Old 3/25/05, 02:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by peet@March 25, 2005, 12:54 AM
leather/vinyl - whatever. Having had a full leather M3 interior go to crap after 4 years due to sitting in one seat - all the rest looked brand new, the driver seat like it was a cabbies - I'm all for durable designs. I got the red interior and will double check what's in back just for care's sake - but if it is vinyl, I smell a lawsuit!

As far as vegan friends - isn't that an oxymoron? I mean c'mon, we're driving cars that get 17 MPG, we shold be taking those folks to outback to dine on cows that used to smoke but now have no voiceboxes

P
The part where you sit is leather, just not the whole seat. As for as the gt500 what price is that bad boy going to run? I'll just keep my 05 gt , cost of car and insurance on 500 will be high.
Old 3/25/05, 05:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by peet@March 25, 2005, 1:54 AM

P
True! I think Dennis Leary said it best, "I tried eating vegetarian. I feel like a wimp going into a restaurant. "What do you want to eat sir? Brocolli?" Brocolli's a side dish, folks. Always was, always will be, ok? When they ask me what I want, I say, "What do you think I want!? This is America. I want a bowl of raw red meat right now. Forget about that. Bring me a live cow over to the table. I'll carve off what I want and ride the rest home! You will eat the meat folks, because this country was founded on two things. Meat, and war. You eat enough $%&#ing meat, you wanna kill somebody. That's the way it works."

Old 3/25/05, 11:37 PM
V6 Member

LOL - that was my inspiration LOL!!!

When i heard that skit and the smoking cows with no voiceboxes I almost crashed my car laughing.
Old 3/26/05, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I wish there was no leather at all and that it was all pleather. It holds up better and never gets any creases like the leather does.

Quick Reply: Where's the Leather?