05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Where's the Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/05, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of you out there with leather interiors......is it just mine or is the back seat "all vinyl" and only the seating surfaces of the front buckets leather?? I know that "leather seating surfaces" mean just the parts that we sit on, the rest is usually matching vinyl which ours are on the sides/back of the front seats. But I was under the impression that our rear seating surfaces were supposed to be leather also. Unless they've convinced a cow to produce vinyl, mine aren't. Or....did I miss the fine print in some Ford order book which states that only the fronts were supposed to be leather???

Let me know if you get a minute. And yes, I can tell the difference between the two, the leather has a distinct feel/texture to it, same for vinyl. It all looks the same but....it isn't!

Thanks - Mark
Old 3/17/05, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh boy, say it isn’t so! I can't be hearing this stuff so close to getting my car. With all the other compromises, they even skimped on the back seats?

I'm hearing more and more on this site about what is missing in the car. I'm starting to get mad. :bang:
Old 3/17/05, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

The back seats in my '05 are vinyl. My '99 GT and '02 GT with leather seating surfaces also had vinyl in the rear with leather on the front seat surfaces. I pretty much expected this on my '05.
Old 3/17/05, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Huh, never heard of that.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the backseat really isn't an important part of a Mustang. No lighting, no cupholders, no leather, no head room . . .
Old 3/17/05, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Cool

Originally posted by Sonic05@March 17, 2005, 8:03 PM
Huh, never heard of that.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the backseat really isn't an important part of a Mustang. No lighting, no cupholders, no leather, no head room . . .
...also no sitting room
Old 3/17/05, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, no big deal here. I will probably get the rear seat delete and build a custom box for the woofer and mount the amps there.

Plus who really sits back there anyways?
Old 3/17/05, 08:16 PM
Cobra R Member

nicksolheim

MMR makes a rear seat delete kit. From the photo on their website it looks cheap. I took the seats out once just to eyball what would need done and I cannot believe how light the rear seat were. I also could make a rear seat delete for a lot less than 150 dollars.
Old 3/17/05, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I since I have owned the car, which has been since the begining of Dec 04, no one has once ridden back there so I figgered what the heck. I am trying to draw up a few ideas of how I want to configure my system in the back seat right now.

Nick
Old 3/17/05, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe I shouldn't condition the back seats anymore....

I didn't know my 20% tint was that dark. I didn't notice it at all.
Old 3/17/05, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have had my car for a month and dont think i have even looked in the back seat much less sat back there lol but thanks for the heads up i didnt know it wasnt leather so now i know not to put that leather cream in the back when i detail it
Old 3/18/05, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank God, thought it was just mine. I conditioned the back too, then scutinized it a couple of days later, wondered why it was still slick. Thus the big discovery. Oh well, it's not a sitting area like you guys commented anyways. Just a bit cheesy IMO!!!

Ford should be specific about this - the leather option seems to have gotten a bit pricey all of a sudden.
Old 3/18/05, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by CA Stang@March 17, 2005, 7:03 PM
The back seats in my '05 are vinyl. My '99 GT and '02 GT with leather seating surfaces also had vinyl in the rear with leather on the front seat surfaces. I pretty much expected this on my '05.

My 14 y.o. daughter can't even fit in the back seat...I am thinking about getting a back seat delete kit because it gets such little use...but it is such a little seat
Old 3/18/05, 10:12 AM
GT Member

This topic came up before, and a couple of regulars were 100% positive that the seat were all leather...I told them that the rear is all vinyl and that the back of the front seat are vinyl as well, but they layed me out saying I was wrong.

LIke I said earlier....only the front seating surface is leather...all the rest is vinyl.
Old 3/18/05, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tyson@March 18, 2005, 11:15 AM
This topic came up before, and a couple of regulars were 100% positive that the seat were all leather...I told them that the rear is all vinyl and that the back of the front seat are vinyl as well, but they layed me out saying I was wrong.

LIke I said earlier....only the front seating surface is leather...all the rest is vinyl.
Only high end luxery car have all leather interior, that's is what my upholster exspert told me, because leather is sold by the square inch, Were as vinyl is sold in yards... If they did all the interior in leather it would be very exspensive.
Old 3/18/05, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

Wow, in a way I'm kinda happy about this discovery. Why? Because you leather care guys got me all paranoid about applying leather cleaner/conditioner on a weekly basis and the back seats are a real P.I.T.A.!

It is a little dissapointing though, thought they were leather too, the car sure smells like it. The leather option was the primary reason I bought the premium, the cloth just doesn't look terribly durable.

I've scruntched back there several times to apply the leather care products. The seats themselves are pretty comfortable but my head resting against the roof detracts just a tad from that. I have yet to attempt putting more than myself and one passenger in the car. Usually one look is all it takes for friends to offer up there car if there is more than two and we are going somewhere. which is my passive agressive way of getting out of being designated driver. :P
Old 3/18/05, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

It is a little dissapointing though, thought they were leather too, the car sure smells like it. The leather option was the primary reason I bought the premium, the cloth just doesn't look terribly durable.

I've scruntched back there several times to apply the leather care products. The seats themselves are pretty comfortable but my head resting against the roof detracts just a tad from that. I have yet to attempt putting more than myself and one passenger in the car. Usually one look is all it takes for friends to offer up there car if there is more than two and we are going somewhere. which is my passive agressive way of getting out of being designated driver. :P
[/quote]

My sentiments (about the DD thing) exactly Bill. But I'm still cheesed at the $850.00 Cdn that the leather option cost......for 2 front seats???? C'mon Ford :nono: I'm going to follow up on this with the dealer, and Ford. In the meantime, you're also bang on about fitting in the back to clean up. Even the dog prefers the front! Then again, we didn't buy them for BS passengers anyways.
Old 3/18/05, 05:07 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

the brochure and window sticker says leather trimmed bucket seats...that about says it all...
Old 3/18/05, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All leather interior is real leather just where you sit , the rest is vinyl. That is on all leather interiors, unless your talking about a high end vehicle like a rolls, or ect... or you want to have the interior custom made and pay high dollars.
Old 3/19/05, 12:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

i know people that do interiors for a living and yes leather is pricey but its not as much as you would think if you are paying wholesell prices or buying it in large amounts

he just got done doing ostridge (which is more then leather i think) in a truck for someone and he bought it for 88 bucks a yard and i think it took 8 or 9 yards to do the interior (4 buckets) so add that up and your at 704 to 792 so ford should not be charging 850 for 2 yards of leather and the rest vinyl IMO

i might be off a little in these prices but im pretty sure thats what he was telling me a few weeks ago
Old 3/19/05, 02:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Look at the bright side, less leather the better, makes your car a little more humane.

The only problem now is if you were giving me or another of your vegan friends a ride how would we get into the back seat? How would we get out?

Quick Reply: Where's the Leather?