05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Where to have Carroll sign?

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/07, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to have Carroll sign?

How do I remove the aluminum dash piece between the central air vents? I want to take it to an event featuring Carroll Shelby to have him sign it. Is there another part that would make a better choice? The air-bag area is out. Carroll wont' even get near it, I'm told.
Old 10/25/07, 08:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jim, I removed my sunvisor, and had Carroll sign my passenger side (and Hau Thai-Tang and Troy Trepanier the driver side) cover to the mirror. At shows I pull down the visor and people see the signatures. Its a great place as no one else sees it when the car is parked and the sun won't ever hit them (so they will be in pristine shape). Just a thought.
Old 10/25/07, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by backafter20
How do I remove the aluminum dash piece between the central air vents? I want to take it to an event featuring Carroll Shelby to have him sign it. Is there another part that would make a better choice? The air-bag area is out. Carroll wont' even get near it, I'm told.
If possible Offer up a few bucks for his charity It'll even get a smile
Old 10/26/07, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
If possible Offer up a few bucks for his charity It'll even get a smile
Donating to his charity isn't an option. If you want him to sign your car you MUST make a (sizable) donation.
Old 10/26/07, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

And the donation price keeps going up too...............
Old 10/26/07, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ShowGT
And the donation price keeps going up too...............
And your poiint is? You can write it off as a tax deduction since its to a charity. I have the receipt from my signature and will give it to my tax people.
Old 10/26/07, 06:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
And your poiint is?
You can write it off as a tax deduction since its to a charity
. I have the receipt from my signature and will give it to my tax people.
Not everybody itemizes
Old 10/26/07, 06:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Not everybody itemizes
Chuck and Brandon, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it as, the money is for charity, and the person gets a signature, so both parties win. You have to look at it in my shoes. I had a liver transplant 4 years ago, and his foundation specifically helps children who can't afford the operation, so his efforts mean alot to me. Thank goodness for my insurance as my bills totalled over $300,000 for the operation alone. I feel so bad for anyone who has to go through what I went through, let alone they can't afford to cover the bills. Sorry if I came off wrong. I just get a little emotional when people question his charity. Its a little close to my heart, being what I went through.
Old 10/26/07, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, this particular charitable event only benefits the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder. It's the only fund raiser they do each year, and there will be lots of "Cobra celebrities" there. Autographs only go to the first 100 people of the 400 or so expected to attend and cost an additional $75, which is below Carroll's going rate for his foundation. I was told that Carroll is trying to limit his exposure to people because the medication he is on inhibits his immune system, and he also get tired quickly. He will not be able to go outside to sign my car, so I need to take something in to him. Still no one has any idea how to remove that center peice? I can go ask Ford, but I'd rather talk to you nice people...
Old 10/26/07, 08:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I understand, not to have meant anything except when I got his signature about 3 years ago it was $100 and I threw in some change to get him in my truck. John Force signed my airbag and wouldn't even except a donation at World of Wheels in 2001.
Old 10/26/07, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is how mine looks. Now he did not sign the actual panel, this is a plaque which I purchased through his foundation. You might consider calling them to see if you can order one ahead of time if you like it.

You can find them here: http://store.cscf.org/index.asp?cat=...2730014&page=1

Otherwise I think your idea is a good one, I really like the placement of the signature and yours would not be just stuck on there like mine is.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Where to have Carroll sign?-dsc06443.jpg  
Old 10/27/07, 02:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks good Tim.
Old 10/27/07, 05:39 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Chuck and Brandon, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it as, the money is for charity, and the person gets a signature, so both parties win. You have to look at it in my shoes. I had a liver transplant 4 years ago, and his foundation specifically helps children who can't afford the operation, so his efforts mean alot to me. Thank goodness for my insurance as my bills totalled over $300,000 for the operation alone. I feel so bad for anyone who has to go through what I went through, let alone they can't afford to cover the bills. Sorry if I came off wrong. I just get a little emotional when people question his charity. Its a little close to my heart, being what I went through.
Its all good Jeff. I was just simply stating a fact.
Old 10/28/07, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, I got the expanded view of how the dash goes together, but it wasn't much help. Any ideas?
Old 11/3/07, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just in case anyone is interested (and it don't look like many), getting that center piece out is a bite. The guage bezel just pops off. The center console top piece is only two screws, and the consol side panels just snap off. You got six screws holding on the radio/heater control bezel, and two bolts on the left side of the center vent piece. Then I get stumped. There are two more bolts on the right side of the vent piece, each under the passenger air-bag cover. The cover can actually be pried up a bit to see the bolts, but it doesn't snap out itself. I called Ford, and they told me not to mess with it, but they did offer to remove the piece for nothing so I could get Carroll to sign it. I guess I should have asked how much they were going to charge me to put it back in....
Old 11/3/07, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the plaque man!

Tim
Old 11/28/07, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok,now I'm in a bind. I didn't get the plaque like Tim suggested, and you have to remove the airbag to remove the center vent piece. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what other part would be a reasonable place to have Carroll sign? I have viewed the pdf file on removing the airbag. Just how hard or dangerous is it, anyway? This is Wednesday, and the event is Saturday, so I don't have time to order something for him to sign. Ideas, guys?
Old 11/28/07, 03:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by backafter20
Ok,now I'm in a bind. I didn't get the plaque like Tim suggested, and you have to remove the airbag to remove the center vent piece. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what other part would be a reasonable place to have Carroll sign? I have viewed the pdf file on removing the airbag. Just how hard or dangerous is it, anyway? This is Wednesday, and the event is Saturday, so I don't have time to order something for him to sign. Ideas, guys?
You can have him sign the cover on the sunvisor mirror. Its where I had Carroll sign and also HTT and Troy Trepanier as well. Nice thing about it, you fold it up, no one sees it, and less chance of theft. Plus, it's never in the sun, so fading isni't a problem ether. For shows, I just pull the visor down and swing them out for people to see.
Old 11/28/07, 03:48 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Check the TacoBill hotlinks, and somewhere I think donW had a thread about how to get the center piece out, because he was putting guages in there a la PSH.
Old 11/28/07, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or just save yourself that hassle and don't get the car signed by him. Not a big fan of having Roush,Saleen,Shelby or any other big mustang names sign the car. I see it pointless unless you actually have a Roush,Saleen or Shelby. JMO.

Quick Reply: Where to have Carroll sign?