05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Water temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/06, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been told that there is a brass bolt on the drivers side up under the exhaust header that will work. I have not bothered to check in to it yet. When my car was normally aspirated I had my sensor mounted in the water crossover on the passengers side.
Attached Thumbnails Water temp gauge-water-temp-sensor-medium-.jpg   Water temp gauge-water-temp-sensor2-medium-.jpg  
Old 7/17/06, 06:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hawgman
I have been told that there is a brass bolt on the drivers side up under the exhaust header that will work. I have not bothered to check in to it yet. When my car was normally aspirated I had my sensor mounted in the water crossover on the passengers side.
I put my sensor in that spot, driver's side of the block under the header, and once she's warmed up, my temps never drop below 195*F or so. Hawgman what temps are you seeing? I have the fans set to come on that the car shouldn't get above 180. Frustrating!
Old 7/17/06, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Don't even get me started on water temps right now.....

First off, I am no longer NA, so I am probably not a good compairson. But the last few weeks my temps have been quite disturbing.

Saleen SC, KSR grill, Canton overflow tank, Autometer Cobalt gauges:
Normal street driving with no AC, temps are 190. Highway driving no AC, temps are 200ish. Street driving with AC, temps are 200-210. Highway driving with AC temps are 210-220.

My first attempt to correct this, I removed the Canton tank and put the stock tank back on. No change. Added a bottle and a half of water wetter to the coolant system, and a half bottle to the SC reservoir, no change. So I adjusted the low speed fan temp to 180, the high to 190. No change.
Then I got to thinking it might have something to do with the aftermarket grill. First off, it puts the fogs in the center of the radiator. Plus, the KSR grill is open all the way to each end, where the stock grill was closed off on each end. In stock configuration, this would force all the air hitting the front of the car through the radiator, where as with the KSR grill it would allow air to go around the radiator and not as much air pressure actually on the radiator. So, I removed the KSR grill and with black duct tape sealed off between the headlights and the radiator. Basically mimmicing the same blockage that the stock grill has. No change. Then, I removed the KSR grill and put the stock grill back in. Again... no change. ARGH!!

Talked with a couple of different people, couple of different configurations, in different places of the country. One guy was in the north east, Saleen SC, Autometer Cobalt gauges, sensor in the same place mine is in. He said his car is always at 215. Another guy, KB SC, in So. California, Autometer Nexxus gauges. He says his has hit 230 with the AC on the highway. Yet there is a guy that lives about 20 miles from me, Saleen SC, Autometer Cobalt gauges, same sensor location and he swears that he never runs above 195 ( I think he is lieing... )

So now I am wondering if it is just something we have to live with and there is nothing that can be done about it.
Old 7/17/06, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow man thanks for the detailed report - but even though it definitely sounds like you've done your homework, it really doesn't make any sense to me why this car won't run and stay at 180*F with that big ole opening in the front. I have seen first hand an SN95 GT (1996) stay at a constant 180*F with that tiny little opening in the front. If these cars (S197's) are so sensitive to heat soak, why can't we keep them cool?! AAAARRRGGGHHH
So, based on your's and my findings we know this:
1. Location of the sensor doesn't seem to matter at this point
2. Location of the driving/fog lights doesn't seem to matter
3. Fan kick-on temp settings do not seem to matter
4. Gauge make/model doesn't seem to matter (I'm using the previous generation Autometer electric gauge).

W T F
Old 7/17/06, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm always at 190-200 as well, and have even more airflow now with the Steeda front fascia on.
Old 7/18/06, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Well, if it is any consolation to anyone, I just spoke with Jim III at JDM. He said the temps we are seeing with superchargers right now are the same temps he is seeing on his cars and it is normal. Not exactly sure I like that answer, but that is what he told me. I also spoke with the service manager of the dealership that I go to and he said they should not be any higher than 190. But that would be for a normally aspirated car.
Old 7/18/06, 01:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you guys are seeing these higher temps. is your stock gauge reading high as well, or is it still reading normal?
Old 7/18/06, 01:58 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use 30% antifreeze/70% water and put in some water pump lubricant and water wetter. See what that does. I wonder what an electric pump will do for you. The VCT is definately pulling timing with temps that high.

FYI I installed my sensor on the crossover tube on the passenger side right where the coolant comes out of the engine. Most accurate place for it.
Old 7/18/06, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Running Prestone Gold 50/50 premix that is already mixed with distilled water. Running a bottle and a half of water wetter. Already have an electric water pump ( which you were saying you wouldn't do again on the other board ) and have a supercharger so my sensor positioning is completely different from where you are suggesting putting it.

Originally Posted by theedge67
When you guys are seeing these higher temps. is your stock gauge reading high as well, or is it still reading normal?
It doesn't matter what the stock gauge says. It will read the same anywhere from 160 degrees all the way to 250. At 220 degrees, my stock gauge is about a tick and a half below half way.