05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Video/Navigation Help

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/05, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search and looked around for what other people did but I have some questions/need some opinions on what you did.

1. Flip Out Unit

I was looking at the Pioneer AVIC-N1 or N2 for this. It is nice with all the features I am looking for (mostly navigation and DVD), seems easy enough to install, and seems like it will protect the screen from dust and scratches easier since it is hidden while not in use. But like the D1 from Pioneer, the navigation functions are disabled while the car is in motion and I know there is a way around this but I don't want to disable it and have something go wrong. I read a review and it didn't say anything about the functions being disabled. Also I know this unit goes for over $1500 but on eBay I found them for between $59-$175 and $500. The seller for the $500 claims it is brand new in box and facotry sealed, he also has a 100% positive feedback with 206 people. Thoughts?

http://search.ebay.com/avic-n1_W0QQfromZR4...titleZavicQ2dn1

2. In Dash One

I go with an in dash one like the Pioneer D1. Looks cleanier and more professional, but appears to me the chances of theft are slightly greater since a thief could walk by and see an LCD there compared to a hide-a-way one. How well do these fit in the opening where the stock radio is in? I don't have a shaker system if that makes a difference, I don't know if that is any bigger or smaller.

3. Computer

I go all out and just get a LCD and a computer for the trunk or under the seat or something like that. If I do this, I was looking at Xenarc (www.xenarc.com) for there screen and computer. But the problem with this is I could need to get a seperate GPS reciever and FM tuner to connect. And I would need seperate DVD unit for easy access instead of having to reach under a seat or go to the trunk. I like this option because I would be able to run programs, put mp3s and video files on the computer so there would be no use for CDs as much.

Some random questions are, what kind of faceplate do you use to finish the look since there would be about a 1/4 inch gap on both sides. I measured the radio now and it is: H- 4 3/4 W- 7 1/2 and diagonal is 8 3/4.

For those who used option 3, where did you put the computer, how did you wire it, where would you put the GPS reciever?

Sorry for this long post but I don't know much about these things and don't want to make a wrong choice or mess anything up.
Old 11/24/05, 11:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was going through the same questions as you a few weeks ago. I decided to go with the Pioneer AVIC-D1 for the price and IMO best looking installed. It does NOT play DVDs but has an input for that if you need it (I didn't). I used the Crutchfield install kit and it came out perfect. I chose the double-din style instead of a flip-out because personally I think it looks better and I don't like the flip-out to block anything on the dash. Also, I did the bypass on mine so I can use while driving, although it still pops up a warning message at first but its usable.

Supposedly Pioneer has a new double-din unit coming out that has a built in hard disk. They are trying to compete with the Eclipse one. If you have an iPod though you can just use it with a D1.

A car computer is a very cool idea, something I thought about as well. I wanted to put a Mac Mini in but ended up deciding not to because of the high summer temperatures out here in the desert. If you live in a colder area and are OK with doing your install then you may want to go the mp3car route.
Old 11/29/05, 10:06 PM

I put a car computer in my 05 GT. I have most of it done, but have gotten behind finishing the faceplate. I have the flip up type with the DVD rom above in the open space. I also talked with a guy who put his in the lid of the center console. Here is a link to my setup. You can find alot of great info at www.mp3car.com on how to set the system up. I spent about $1500 on my setup, but I think I can do if for less now that I have learned some lessons. Maybe a couple hundred lower.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=28822
Old 11/30/05, 07:16 AM

The screen I am looking at and want to get is 7 3/4 inches wide but the opening for it in the dash (where the radio is) is only 7 1/4 inches wide, but theres a flip out i'm consisdering that is 7 inches wide.

Is there any place where I can buy a face plate from to fill in the gaps? anyone care to make me one? i'll pay...

Any ideas how to make the opening wider besides just taking a dremel to it?