05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Tungsten Painted Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/07, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tungsten Painted Center Console

Here is my painted center console and dash trim. The pictures do not do it justice, unfortunately I am not a great photographer. However, I really came out well with the exception of the mustang designation which is OK but has some issues. Several people who are not as familiar with Mustangs have complemented that it looks like it came from the factory.

Here are the details. The grey is body matched Tungsten Silver Metallic. You can order in aerosol cans in any of the colors Mustangs are offered from paintscratch.com. It matches the outside body perfect. I have always liked the body colored panels in the VW Beetle. However, I needed a touch of the dramatic and got that from Dupli-Color Mirage Paint Gold/Magenta. Here is where the camera just could not do it justice. This color changing paint is great, giving me a brilliant copper orange in some lights and a nice plum purple in others. After the base coats were applied (4 Tungstens and 4 Mirage) I cleared it out to really bring out the color. I do have some orange peel which I tried to color sand but with the texture in the plastic it is still wavy. I think it came out great.

I used a decal to block the paint to get the mustang name below the shifter. It worked but removing the decal was difficult because of paint build up.

All and all it really makes the interior personalized and eye catching while still maintaining a factory feel. Exactly what I was looking for.

I have also enclosed a picture of the outside of the car . . .
Attached Thumbnails Tungsten Painted Center Console-dash2.jpg   Tungsten Painted Center Console-dash3.jpg   Tungsten Painted Center Console-display_pict2.jpg   Tungsten Painted Center Console-dash1a.jpg   Tungsten Painted Center Console-dash4a.jpg  

Old 4/16/07, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hoff5884
Here is my painted center console and dash trim. The pictures do not do it justice, unfortunately I am not a great photographer. However, I really came out well with the exception of the mustang designation which is OK but has some issues. Several people who are not as familiar with Mustangs have complemented that it looks like it came from the factory.

Here are the details. The grey is body matched Tungsten Silver Metallic. You can order in aerosol cans in any of the colors Mustangs are offered from paintscratch.com. It matches the outside body perfect. I have always liked the body colored panels in the VW Beetle. However, I needed a touch of the dramatic and got that from Dupli-Color Mirage Paint Gold/Magenta. Here is where the camera just could not do it justice. This color changing paint is great, giving me a brilliant copper orange in some lights and a nice plum purple in others. After the base coats were applied (4 Tungstens and 4 Mirage) I cleared it out to really bring out the color. I do have some orange peel which I tried to color sand but with the texture in the plastic it is still wavy. I think it came out great.

I used a decal to block the paint to get the mustang name below the shifter. It worked but removing the decal was difficult because of paint build up.

All and all it really makes the interior personalized and eye catching while still maintaining a factory feel. Exactly what I was looking for.

I have also enclosed a picture of the outside of the car . . .
Well looking over it hard, I got to say it really came out good. This is somethgin I would do myself....Always wondered. Nice touch with the very center. How hard was it to get the sides of the Radio off? I am assuming that you removed the pieces right?
Old 4/16/07, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

The sides of the radio literally just pull straight out after you remove the center console (2 screws). This is one of the easiest cars to disassembl/reassemble I've found in 18 years of installing stereos.
Old 4/16/07, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
The sides of the radio literally just pull straight out after you remove the center console (2 screws). This is one of the easiest cars to disassembl/reassemble I've found in 18 years of installing stereos.
I can remove the center console and the radio sides in under 10 minutes.
I have dissasembled the interior around 18 times.
Old 4/16/07, 08:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good.the brown part in the middle makes it look classy..Nice rims too.any side profile pics so I could see rims and calipers better?
Old 4/17/07, 10:14 AM

Everyone is right . . . these center console and wings are extremely easy to remove and i took them out and taped them up and painted. I think i have some pictures of the process I will try to post.

This is a very easy thing that anyone can do in order to make there car more personal.

Here are the pictures of the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Tungsten Painted Center Console-wheel_1.jpg   Tungsten Painted Center Console-dsc00332.jpg  
Old 4/17/07, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Very Nice!
I have been toying with the idea of taking out my IUP silver panels and painting them glossy black (same color as my exterior) i think it would look sick
Old 4/17/07, 09:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hoff5884
Everyone is right . . . these center console and wings are extremely easy to remove and i took them out and taped them up and painted. I think i have some pictures of the process I will try to post.

This is a very easy thing that anyone can do in order to make there car more personal.

Here are the pictures of the wheels.
Thanks I love those rims and calipers
Old 4/17/07, 09:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. I'm not near brave enough to try it though!
Old 4/17/07, 11:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Matt

thats pretty cool...i kinda want to do the aposite...
I have a Dove (aka Graphite)...Front Dash/Console
and i want to paint in black.

What kind of paint did you use. Was it special interior cash paint (eg. Soft-touch style).
Old 4/23/07, 02:52 PM

I used standard truck paint found at the auto store. I sanded the panels, cleaned them, and then used a plastic primer following the directions on the can. Then applied the base coat color and a clear coat. It is very simple and makes the car stand out. sorry for the lack of reply. have been out for the week.