05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Trim paint promoter?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/08 | 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Trim paint promoter?

I have been admiring all the different interior trim paint mods, and was curious about adhesion. Is there some sort of promoter that is used ahead of time to help the paint adhere?
Old 4/6/08 | 12:25 PM

Seems to depend on which plastic you're painting. Here is Motorcraft's list of plastics requiring promoter:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...tic%20Type.pdf
And here's the promoter:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...category=Paint

Last edited by LaFong; 4/6/08 at 07:30 PM.
Old 4/6/08 | 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Outstanding information, thanks!!!!!

Unfortunately a little vague, like upper and lower door panels, but ours is just one panel right?

And it says consoles are soft and to use promoter, but are the fan shields, or whatever the peices on either side of the shaker considered part of the console?

And would the glove box or cover below the steering wheel be considered part of the instrument panels?

Difficult because I don't trust the parts guys at my local dealer anywhere near as much as the users here on the forums.

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 4/6/08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 4/6/08 | 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

"Difficult because I don't trust the parts guys at my local dealer anywhere near as much as the users here on the forums."

Ahhhh, excellent premise grasshopper. Same here!!

A rule of thumb I use, is If it's smooth & shiney it will need a promoter. If textured and dull, it doesn't. I'm no scientist, just a guy who love's to try something different, all the time. And besides, if you screw it up.........that's what Part's Counter's and Body Shop's are for
Old 4/6/08 | 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent point. Now if I can make this work I will actually save the money I was trying NOT to give the parts counter!
Old 4/6/08 | 01:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good for you. Now, just don't let your first attempt sway you, should it not be as you envisioned. Keep on trying. Personalizing these is what it's all about.
Old 4/6/08 | 07:33 PM

By my reading of the promoter guide, the only thing that's soft plastic in a Mustang is the console. All the hard plastic should use promoter. I wouldn't think the wings on the sides of the radio are part of the console. They should be the same as the pillars, hard plastic.

Last edited by LaFong; 4/6/08 at 07:35 PM.
Old 4/6/08 | 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

When I painted my switch plates and my friends' switch plates and speaker rings, I only sanded the parts slighly, so the primer would have something to "bite" to, used primer, and then painted them with the Duplicolor. Haven't had any issues with the paint lifting, and I painted the parts over a year ago.
Old 4/7/08 | 04:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LaFong
By my reading of the promoter guide, the only thing that's soft plastic in a Mustang is the console. All the hard plastic should use promoter. I wouldn't think the wings on the sides of the radio are part of the console. They should be the same as the pillars, hard plastic.
Yea, I read that, I guess the thing thing that threw me wa they state "Consoles", but now that I look again I figure they meant multiple vehicles, not multiple peices within our cars.

Also shows the instrument panel (dash?) as soft on ours.

Thanks again for the info, gonna make sure to grab some promoter as well.
Old 4/7/08 | 04:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
When I painted my switch plates and my friends' switch plates and speaker rings, I only sanded the parts slighly, so the primer would have something to "bite" to, used primer, and then painted them with the Duplicolor. Haven't had any issues with the paint lifting, and I painted the parts over a year ago.
I was considering the same thing, but one question, did you do any peices that were textured as well? I would think sanding would mar those...
Old 4/7/08 | 07:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
I was considering the same thing, but one question, did you do any peices that were textured as well? I would think sanding would mar those...
I only lightly scuffed the switch plates, and speaker rings. Just enough for the primer to sink into the plastic a bit. Very lightly with a high number paper. I'll have to get a closer up of the piece I did.
Old 4/7/08 | 12:22 PM

> Also shows the instrument panel (dash?) as soft on ours.

Nope. Read it again. The Mustang,etc instrument panel is listed as hard. "All other 2004 - 2008 vehicles", i.e. those not listed, are soft.
Old 4/7/08 | 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

I personally would use a very light coat of the promotor on any plastic surface you want to paint.
Old 4/8/08 | 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Deric
I personally would use a very light coat of the promotor on any plastic surface you want to paint.
Dude....

Thank's like telling me you've been behind there door, and there MIGHT be something dangerous behind it...

What am I in for here????
Old 4/8/08 | 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

how about some pics of any trim peices that members have painted. Seems like a nice mod