05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

For those with aftermarket stereos

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/04, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did the installer/you have to get to pull out the shaker 500 and fill in the gaps? Typically they have pullers that can be used to remove the stereo, but I don't see anyway to pull it out normally. Also, the place I bought the stereo from isn't sure about what the part no. is for the tray to go in the open space. (for the life of me I can't remember it's name right now :scratch: ). Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a single din stereo installed with a sirius satellite radio, but the dealer said they don't have conversion kits available yet, and that they believe the 05 mustang is a solid radio built into the dash. I told them others had already swapped their radios out for something else, but I wasn't about ready for them to look at tearing apart my dash. I'll leave that up to myself.
Old 12/7/04, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe that they have DIN conversion kits available, but my installer custom built mine (not available when I did mine...or at least not in town). It is definitely not built into the dash, but I unfortunately do not know how exactly they got it out. I dropped it off at the shop and picked it up the next night.

I put a double DIN in mine, which was still smaller than the opening. However, I know at least one other person has put in a single DIN (I've seen pics), so he might be able to help you more.

Hope some of that helps!
Old 12/7/04, 04:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have my GT yet so I can't say for certain, but: I've read that to remove the stereo you start in the center console, remove the screws, and start slowly pulling up and back to remove making your way towards the radio. It should be held in with a couple of screws. They do make kits for them, I've seen one. I think it was made by Sosche (sp?). Do a search, you should find the info you're looking for.
Old 12/7/04, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Before Grantsdale tells you to search.....

Check out my thread on my system. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=9494

-Ken
Old 12/7/04, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe. Grantsdale is probably to busy driving his GT right now anyhow. I know I would be but I've been trying to figure out how to get this done right. B)
Old 12/7/04, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by NewPony05@December 7, 2004, 2:55 PM
What did the installer/you have to get to pull out the shaker 500 and fill in the gaps? Typically they have pullers that can be used to remove the stereo, but I don't see anyway to pull it out normally. Also, the place I bought the stereo from isn't sure about what the part no. is for the tray to go in the open space. (for the life of me I can't remember it's name right now :scratch: ). Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a single din stereo installed with a sirius satellite radio, but the dealer said they don't have conversion kits available yet, and that they believe the 05 mustang is a solid radio built into the dash. I told them others had already swapped their radios out for something else, but I wasn't about ready for them to look at tearing apart my dash. I'll leave that up to myself.
I pulled my radio and replaced it myself. The speakers in the doors and back were put in by a local shop. The kit was for the F-150 and the Mustang, it had directions for both in the package. Getting to the radio is pretty easy if you take your time and have a little patience. I never totally removed the center console. Once you move the console and remove the side trim you need to remove the trim covering the radio and the switches (you will have to remove the connectors in the back of the switches). Once this is done you can move the panel a bit to expose the radio. All you do is unscrew the radio, remove the connections and pull it out and angle it up and past the front panel. The new radio and kit goes back in the same way. The kit has 2 small posts that fit in the stock holes and will hold the radio in place so you can screw it in. It took me about an hour to get it in. I packed in my XM direct receiver and sony adapter behind the HU after everything was in place. Try it, but dont rush yourself doing it.

-Ken