05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Swapping Dash Panels

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/08, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping Dash Panels

I am planning on swaping the dash panels from my GT to my V6. I was planning on having the dealer do it but if I can save some money I'm all for that. So does anyone have any info on that? Anyone that has done it that could give me a quick write up? I know how to get the driver side panel off for the most part, and I think I can get all but the air bag panel off without much trouble. But that's the problem...what about the airbag panel? What do I have to do for that? From what I've read I have to change the entire air bag unit out. I just don't want the thing to go off while I'm doing the swap so any info on this would be really helpful!

Thanks guys.
Old 2/1/08, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor

You have to change the entire airbag, you cannot buy the airbag panel separately, it's all connected, this is why you don't see any dash swapping going on. The other dash pieces just pull out of the dash, held in by snap connectors. The only options are to buy a $600 airbag with the trim you want and swap that out for your airbag, along with the rest of the panels, or go with some aftermarket dash trim pieces.

Note: Don't try to tamper with your airbag unless you disconnect your car battery first, i don't reccomend tampering with the airbags anyways as they are explosives and are dangerous.
Old 2/1/08, 09:59 AM
Banned

Dude its easy I took out every panel out of my v6 to have it painted. The entires airbag assembly comes out drop down the glovebox. And there are two bolts that hold it in place once those are removed it slides out and the airvent will need to be unbloted as well. It took me 15 minutes with every panel removed. I waited five minutes after I discounected the battery. Very simple do it yourself dont pau to do it
Old 2/1/08, 10:00 AM
Banned

As far as the airbag it is scary it can deploy but I took the chance and if you do it. I am not responsible for any damages that occur. Because I wrote how to take it out. I was very carefull
Old 2/1/08, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the instructions for depowering the 2006 airbag system and removing the passenger airbag. I believe the instrument cover pulls out. I am unable to find information on the center panel and right panel. In one view it looks like the right most panel may have mounting screws on the side covered by the airbag. The center panel may have mounting bolts visible after the inst panel and airbag is removed. Hope this helps.

http://www.buildingeleanor.com/image...***_airbag.pdf
Old 2/1/08, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi guys/Tom I need to replace my center dash panel.

I removed the drivers side dash panel which just pops out.

On the passenger side dash panel can I just pry it out?

I started prying it but not all the way yet, the top and bottom started to come out but don't want to force it any further yet till I hear from you guys. I can see the 6 clips on (6) top of the panel and the 6 on along the bottom starting to come out as I pry. I also see the (1) clip on each side of the left and right panel.

I don't want to force anything any further yet (per above) so here is my question.

Do I need or have to remove the pass air bag or can I just remove the passenger dash panel with out removing the air bag by just poping/prying it out all the way?

TIA