05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Steering Wheel Emblem Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/07, 06:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Wheel Emblem Problem

I have a problem with my steering wheel emblem. It looks as if though some sort of chemical has started to attack the plastic. It appears it only affected the chrome color of the pony and the chrome trim on the tribar. I've never used any harsh chemicals inside the car. I've used a wipe on leather cleaner/conditioner on the seats, but it wouldn't have oversprayed. I've used a damp cloth to wipe down everything else (water only). The only thing I can think of might be the glass cleaner I have, but it is very mild with no solvents in it so it's safe for my window tint. Any ideas. I already talked to my Ford dealer, they are going to replace it, I'm just curious as to the cause.

I tried to download pics, but it said download failed. I'll keep trying. Basically it looks like the running pony is "spotted."
Old 12/16/07, 06:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is doing it too and I've Never used anything on it. this has been going on for a long time now.
Old 12/16/07, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

I have a similar problem. With mine its small scratches on the steering wheel emblem and there are some small dents in the aluminium inserts. I can only assume that this is from opening cd cases in the proximity of the steering wheel. While I am generally impressed with the mustang, I think Ford could have use better materials in the steering wheel appearance, especially for those of us that spent the extra money for the IUP feature. I have tried getting out the scratches and nothing works. Now if I want to open a cd, essentially I have to lean over to the passenger seat to open it to avoid having contact with the steering wheel.
Old 12/16/07, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue here. I think others have the same problem. Poor quality from Ford I suspect.
Old 12/16/07, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

great... something for me to look forward to.

well, at least the dealership is replacing it.
Old 12/17/07, 01:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Same problem here and I haven't used anything on it.
Old 12/17/07, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ok........well at least I feel a little better......thought it was just mine since nothing came up when I did a search. I'm going to go ahead and have the dealership replace it, but if it ocurrs again I'm going to have a custom emblem made similar to my running pony fender emblems. There is a shop here that makes cool emblems with a thick, clear, "dome shaped" layer over the decal, very similar to the clear layer on the factory emblem. They are actually made for center caps on wheels, but I could have them scale one down and put it on my steering wheel.
Old 12/17/07, 10:42 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Here's the thread I remember seeing:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...light=steering
Old 12/17/07, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mines doing the exact same thing and has been for about a year now. Im going to have my dealership fix it soon before the can is out of warranty.
Old 12/17/07, 08:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Donna
Here's the thread I remember seeing:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...light=steering

Thanks Donna........Guess I didn't search hard enough.
Old 12/20/07, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

I think I am having the same problem with only 3000 miles on the car. Must be a very cheap product they put in our cars.
Old 12/23/07, 12:00 AM

Same crap happening here....looks like chemical spots all over the chrome pieces.... cheap
Old 12/23/07, 12:47 AM
Cobra Member

Kinda funny that I saw this.. I just picked my car up today from having the drivers air bag assembley replaced because of that exact same thing. They have to replace the entire assembley, can't just replace the emblem.
And needless to say as modified as my car is, and as seldom as they see it, and as close to being out of warranty as it is... they were really happy to be replacing it.

That's OK though, I am going to hit them up for new leather on teh drivers side front seat in the next couple of months before the warranty expires. I'm sure they will be just as thrilled with that too.
Old 12/23/07, 08:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Has anyone tried prying th emblem off? I've thought about having a custom emblem made. Will this affect the airbag at all. I don't think it would, but this is one mod I don't want to be the test muel for.
Old 12/23/07, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

I thought about replacing the aluminum steering wheel inserts also, but then I had visions of being punched in the face by the airbag. If Ford is listening to the complaints on the steering wheel issue, common sense would suggest maybe they have to invest in a better quality steering wheel. The inserts at the very least should be made out of stainless steel.
Old 12/23/07, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Has anyone tried prying th emblem off? I've thought about having a custom emblem made. Will this affect the airbag at all. I don't think it would, but this is one mod I don't want to be the test muel for.
The emblem will pry off, it's just held on with tabs. I don't think Ford sells it separately though.

Mine has the stick on Saleen emblem, and I believe it's just vinyl stuck to a factory emblem that was flattened on the surface. It's falling off (of course), so that's what the part I can see of it looks like underneath. I'm sure it's still the factory airbag assembly and everything.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket emblems, probably because of liability worries involving anything that touches the airbag. There have been threads where people did custom emblems in a method similar to Saleen's - make the factory part flat for a good mounting surface and stick something else on. It's probably best to keep the factory emblem as part of the mod just in case it's designed for the tabs to release on one side when the airbag pops.
Old 12/23/07, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Last edited by NECIO; 8/10/11 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12/29/07, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

So how did those of you who got their's replaced manage to get Ford to order you a new one? I took my car to the dealership today and they said to bring it back on Monday, at which time they are going to get digital pictures and send them to Ford in order to get it approved to fix under warranty since the whole airbag assembly will need to be ordered. They also said Ford may or may not approve it. Is this BS, or is this how you guys/gals got yours to be replaced?
Old 12/31/07, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is a Ford issue, not just a Mustang issue. I just noticed my 07 Explorer steering wheel emblem is doing the same thing. It is the classic blue oval with the classic "Ford" script in chrome. There is also a thin chrome strip inset the outer edge of the oval. It's pitted too. This really sucks!
Old 1/1/08, 12:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
So how did those of you who got their's replaced manage to get Ford to order you a new one? I took my car to the dealership today and they said to bring it back on Monday, at which time they are going to get digital pictures and send them to Ford in order to get it approved to fix under warranty since the whole airbag assembly will need to be ordered. They also said Ford may or may not approve it. Is this BS, or is this how you guys/gals got yours to be replaced?
All I did was go in and act dumb ( sometimes not a stretch.. ) and say I wanted the emblem replaced. 20 minutes later they came and go tme and said they had to order the entire airbag assembley. I acted surprised and said I thought that was excessive. Service writer said that is the only way to replace it. Two days later I took the car back and they replaced the entire thing.