05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Speed-Sensitive Volume in Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/07, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes rx
The voltage regulator is not mentioned for the Mach 460 system either, but it IS needed. And, I'm 99% sure that it's needed on the S197, based on what I've read about other installs on S197 mustangs. Just do a search on this forum, and you should find that answer. Or, crutchfield should be able to answer that question.

FWIW, when I replaced my H/U a few years back in my 2000, I had to call crutchfield tech support a few times, because it was a fairly "new" issue that almost no one there knew about. Each tech person would give me some advise, but it never worked. Finally, I got someone that knew of the exact issue, and he recommended the regulator. After that, it worked great. Just a testimony for why I LOVE crutchfield: their support is FANTASTIC . Even though it took a few calls, they were very nice during the whole thing and at least TRIED to help as best they could.

Crutchfield mentions the amp adapter for the Mach 460, but not the Shaker 1000, so it is possible that the adapter may not be needed. Calling crutchfield should be able to answer this question as well

Yes, they supply the POWER harness to connect the factory harness to the back of the radio. However, they do NOT include the amplifier adapter (if it's needed for the shaker...I know it was needed for the Mach 460). This adapter keeps you from blasting out the speakers at a low volume. The way the factory Mach 460 amps are set up, if you just replace the head unit without this adapter, your volume will have to be kept very low (ie-volume of 6 out of 30 would be "loud"), and each increment will provide a LARGE volume increase (ie-8 would be way too loud). With the adapter, you use the rotary dials to "tune" the speaker volume for the receiver's volume range. Basically, you make it so that at 75% of the receivers max volume, you get almost maximal volume out of the speakers.

Here is proof (from crutchfields website):

Installation Details for your 2000 Mustang
» Your vehicle is equipped with an upgraded sound system. We recommend that you purchase an adapter to eliminate extensive rewiring when you install your new stereo. Without this adapter, you might have to replace your entire factory sound system, including the speakers.
OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 $39.99 »
They DO include the amplifier harness. It is a simple plug with 2 RCA jacks and 2 remote wires on it. One jack is for the front subs, one for the rear (if you have the 1000). Only some of the time is the VR needed. I don't need one in mine, but another car I did needed it. No big deal.
Old 4/19/07, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
They DO include the amplifier harness. It is a simple plug with 2 RCA jacks and 2 remote wires on it. One jack is for the front subs, one for the rear (if you have the 1000). Only some of the time is the VR needed. I don't need one in mine, but another car I did needed it. No big deal.
This is what I'm talking about, that was needed for the Mach 460, costs $40, and is not considered one of their "free" harnesses.

From Crutchfield's website:

The Scosche OEM Amplifier Adapter is a passive electronic interface package that allows you to integrate a high-powered aftermarket receiver into select 1988-up Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, and Nissan vehicles with premium factory systems. The package includes the OEA-4 adapter and a Ford-specific harness. The OEA-4 unit has output-level gain controls for each of its four channels which can be adjusted to properly match the new receiver to the factory amplifier.
Attached Thumbnails Speed-Sensitive Volume in Aftermarket Stereo?-adapter.jpg  
Old 4/19/07, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

cute box, but its not needed for the shakers.

Infinity pretty much summed everything up, so i wont reiterate

keep it sweet guys, im out
Old 4/19/07, 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
This is what I'm talking about, that was needed for the Mach 460, costs $40, and is not considered one of their "free" harnesses.

From Crutchfield's website:

The Scosche OEM Amplifier Adapter is a passive electronic interface package that allows you to integrate a high-powered aftermarket receiver into select 1988-up Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, and Nissan vehicles with premium factory systems. The package includes the OEA-4 adapter and a Ford-specific harness. The OEA-4 unit has output-level gain controls for each of its four channels which can be adjusted to properly match the new receiver to the factory amplifier.
Ah, yes. I still have one sitting in my "spare parts" bin. It was definitely needed with the MACHs, but the Shakers are different. They have standard voltage line level connections- they just lack the RCA plugs.