05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Speed-Sensitive Volume in Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/07, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed-Sensitive Volume in Aftermarket Stereo?

I'd like to replace the Shaker 500 head unit in my '06 Mustang, but retain the speed sensitive volume control. According to Crutchfield, the only manufacturer making receivers with this feature is Blaupunkt. But even the Blaupunkt units aren't clear about having it.. and some info I've read on the web says it won't work anyway.

Anyone have any insight or experience with this?

Thanks,
Jessica
Old 4/17/07, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

i'm not too well-read when it comes to Blaupunkt, however i'm sorry to say that it's almost a certainty that by going aftermarket you will give up the speed sensitive volume. BUT theres an upside to this - if you invest in an aftermarket radio with a LPF (such as the pioneer deh-p5900ib) your door subs will sound INCREDIBLE (a little dynamat doesn't hurt either)
Old 4/17/07, 05:11 PM

question..

Originally Posted by kingofsting
i'm not too well-read when it comes to Blaupunkt, however i'm sorry to say that it's almost a certainty that by going aftermarket you will give up the speed sensitive volume. BUT theres an upside to this - if you invest in an aftermarket radio with a LPF (such as the pioneer deh-p5900ib) your door subs will sound INCREDIBLE (a little dynamat doesn't hurt either)
not to be incredibly dense, but what is LPF? i haven't seen that term before...
Old 4/17/07, 07:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep trying to think of something that LPF could mean to be funny that the language filter won't catch. I have no idea what the heck that is either
Old 4/17/07, 07:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jessie318
not to be incredibly dense, but what is LPF? i haven't seen that term before...
Originally Posted by kevinb120
I keep trying to think of something that LPF could mean to be funny that the language filter won't catch. I have no idea what the heck that is either
Based on the context, I'm guessing: "Low pass filter"
Old 4/17/07, 08:04 PM

good call

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Based on the context, I'm guessing: "Low pass filter"

thanks mike! i'm sure you're right...

any ideas on the OP question though??
Old 4/17/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks mike! i'm sure you're right...

any ideas on the OP question though??
What is OP????

EDIT: nevermind, is it "original post(-ed)".
Old 4/17/07, 08:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm not sure about retaining the speed sensitive volume. I believe that is part of the headunit, not part of the wiring. So, that being the case, crutchfield would be correct in saying that you would have to get a H/U with that feature.

Personally, I don't even like the speed sensitive volume. For me, it's too hard to find a setting I like (it either increases it too much, or not enough). So, I have mine set at like 2, which pretty much does nothing.

If it were me: I'd recommend not even worrying about finding one with it. You can always increase volume with the **** and your fingers. In fact, I'd heavily question getting a new head unit at all.

Reason...

Replacing head unit's aren't the easiest thing to do in mustangs, because you have factory amps to worry about (requiring a "Factory amplifier integration adapter" that costs about $40), and you have solder in a 12V to 5V converter to keep the speakers from popping (costs about $3 at Radioshack, but is a pain to wire in because the leads are short and not the same gauge as the power wire).

But please note: I had these issues in my 2000 with the Mach 460, and I'm assuming that the same principle applies to the 05-up too.
Old 4/17/07, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Have no fear! it's pretty easy to install an aftermarket radio in our stangs. the adapter needed can be had for $27 shipped from Crutchfield, and it comes with HU installation instructions. but if you order your HU from them, everything mentioned, plus the dash install kit comes free. however, id suggest searching eBay first - there are some great deals to be had.

oh, and i can't comment on wiring in the volt regulator - it's sitting in my console, i just havent gotten to it yet.
Old 4/18/07, 05:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Have no fear! it's pretty easy to install an aftermarket radio in our stangs. the adapter needed can be had for $27 shipped from Crutchfield, and it comes with HU installation instructions. but if you order your HU from them, everything mentioned, plus the dash install kit comes free. however, id suggest searching eBay first - there are some great deals to be had.

oh, and i can't comment on wiring in the volt regulator - it's sitting in my console, i just havent gotten to it yet.
Last time I checked, Crutchfield did NOT provide the amplifier adapter for free (nor do they provide the voltage regulator). If you look on their website as a 2000 mustang with the Mach 460, it specifically states that you must buy the adapter and gives the price. It's easy to install, but is an expense and does require some "tuning". Also, the unit is somewhat big and must be stuffed in the dash with all the other wiring.

Looking on crutchfield as a 05 with Shaker 500, it did NOT mention the amplifier adapter, so that may not be needed. But, for the Mach 460, it was.
Old 4/18/07, 07:16 AM

I haven't looked if Pioneer's '07 models have it, but they used to come with ASL - auto sound leveliser. I personnally hated it, but it does the same thing....

Edit: it looks like you may have to find older models - I found the DEH-P7600MP had it.. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
Old 4/18/07, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Looking on crutchfield as a 05 with Shaker 500, it did NOT mention the amplifier adapter, so that may not be needed. But, for the Mach 460, it was.
when i log into crutchfield as an 06 w/Shaker 500 it does not mention either the amplifier adapter or the volt regulator - so i'm hoping neither of those are necessary any more.

i exchanged emails with the Blaupunkt folks and they confirmed that the St.Louis MP56 receiver can be hooked into the speed sensor and that feature will work. my only hesitation is that only 1 or 2 reviews on this hu exist anywhere on the web. anyone have a POV on Blaupunkt?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gg1cMlj...p?I=023STLMP56
Old 4/18/07, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by dbjunkies
I haven't looked if Pioneer's '07 models have it, but they used to come with ASL - auto sound leveliser. I personnally hated it, but it does the same thing....

Edit: it looks like you may have to find older models - I found the DEH-P7600MP had it.. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

did it hook into the speed sensor fairly easily?
Old 4/18/07, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by dbjunkies

it looks to me like the pioneer's feature doesn't hook into the speed sensor, but rather uses a mic to monitor the in-car sound conditions:
"ASL" (auto-sound-levelizer) detects and compensates for changes in external noise levels, adjusting volume and tone controls in response to the nature of the external noise (tunnel, rain, road surface changes)

that feature doesn't appeal to me at all... is that what you experienced??
Old 4/18/07, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Crutchfield DOES send the proper adapters for the Shaker system. That's where I bought my Panasonic head from. The speed sensitive volume will only work currently with the Ford radio- it runs on a logic bus that is software specific. Sorry.

Some of the aftermarket speed sensitive controls can work, but they need to be hooked up differently. I'll dig through my stuff to see if we can make this happen. It may require a tach adapter, I'm unsure at this point.
Old 4/18/07, 08:55 AM
Cobra R Member

when i log into crutchfield as an 06 w/Shaker 500 it does not mention either the amplifier adapter or the volt regulator - so i'm hoping neither of those are necessary any more.

i exchanged emails with the Blaupunkt folks and they confirmed that the St.Louis MP56 receiver can be hooked into the speed sensor and that feature will work. my only hesitation is that only 1 or 2 reviews on this hu exist anywhere on the web. anyone have a POV on Blaupunkt?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gg1cMlj...p?I=023STLMP56
The voltage regulator is not mentioned for the Mach 460 system either, but it IS needed. And, I'm 99% sure that it's needed on the S197, based on what I've read about other installs on S197 mustangs. Just do a search on this forum, and you should find that answer. Or, crutchfield should be able to answer that question.

FWIW, when I replaced my H/U a few years back in my 2000, I had to call crutchfield tech support a few times, because it was a fairly "new" issue that almost no one there knew about. Each tech person would give me some advise, but it never worked. Finally, I got someone that knew of the exact issue, and he recommended the regulator. After that, it worked great. Just a testimony for why I LOVE crutchfield: their support is FANTASTIC . Even though it took a few calls, they were very nice during the whole thing and at least TRIED to help as best they could.

Crutchfield mentions the amp adapter for the Mach 460, but not the Shaker 1000, so it is possible that the adapter may not be needed. Calling crutchfield should be able to answer this question as well

Originally Posted by Infinity
Crutchfield DOES send the proper adapters for the Shaker system. That's where I bought my Panasonic head from.
Yes, they supply the POWER harness to connect the factory harness to the back of the radio. However, they do NOT include the amplifier adapter (if it's needed for the shaker...I know it was needed for the Mach 460). This adapter keeps you from blasting out the speakers at a low volume. The way the factory Mach 460 amps are set up, if you just replace the head unit without this adapter, your volume will have to be kept very low (ie-volume of 6 out of 30 would be "loud"), and each increment will provide a LARGE volume increase (ie-8 would be way too loud). With the adapter, you use the rotary dials to "tune" the speaker volume for the receiver's volume range. Basically, you make it so that at 75% of the receivers max volume, you get almost maximal volume out of the speakers.

Here is proof (from crutchfields website):

Installation Details for your 2000 Mustang
ยป Your vehicle is equipped with an upgraded sound system. We recommend that you purchase an adapter to eliminate extensive rewiring when you install your new stereo. Without this adapter, you might have to replace your entire factory sound system, including the speakers.
OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 $39.99 ยป
Old 4/18/07, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Infinity
Crutchfield DOES send the proper adapters for the Shaker system. That's where I bought my Panasonic head from. The speed sensitive volume will only work currently with the Ford radio- it runs on a logic bus that is software specific. Sorry.

Some of the aftermarket speed sensitive controls can work, but they need to be hooked up differently. I'll dig through my stuff to see if we can make this happen. It may require a tach adapter, I'm unsure at this point.
this is what the blaupunkt rep said...
The GALA pin on the harness needs to tap into your vehicles Vehicle Speed Sense wire.

does that mean anything to you??
Old 4/18/07, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

this is what the blaupunkt rep said...
The GALA pin on the harness needs to tap into your vehicles Vehicle Speed Sense wire.

does that mean anything to you??
see this thread regarding the Avic d3. It mentioned something about the speed wire...I think in regard to the GPS. But, it may be the same wire.

Honestly, it was too much for me to read, and wasn't really relevent to me, so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63901

Also, there's good info regarding the volt regulator too.
Old 4/18/07, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

My bad - I confused this "amp adapter" with the basic wiring harness needed. No amp adapter thingy mabob is needed here, and the volt regulator can be had for a measley 1.50 - it isn't absolutely necessary, but if the thought of having to hear a loud POP everytime you turn on your radio doesnt do it for you, then yea youre gonna need it. The Mach systems were a totally different set up and the shakers (both 500 and 1000) are much easier to work with.

you can also PM me if you have any questions about the Shaker system - after all, i did a complete install of a new HU and speakers.

PS - dynamat is your best friend with the door subs, trust me.
Old 4/18/07, 05:20 PM

Thumbs up Amen

PS - dynamat is your best friend with the door subs, trust me.
yeah, those **** door subs will NOT stop vibrating. i can't wait to rip the doors open and add the dynamat. i'm holding back though, until i have something to replace them with...

Quick Reply: Speed-Sensitive Volume in Aftermarket Stereo?