05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

SHR inside door handles

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/11, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHR inside door handles

Does anyone have these on their car?

http://silverhorseracing.com/cart.ph...ategory_id=254

Are they difficult to install? I just received mine and the instructions look a little more involved than I thought.
Old 6/18/11, 05:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes, I got them in satin and you are right, it's not thaaaat easy. Not impossible tho.

Last edited by MadGT; 6/18/11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 6/18/11, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any tips/pointers before I start putting mine in?

Hey, is that the MGW power plug and radio volume contol pieces you have?

If so, how do you like them? I am thinking of getting them as well? Is their website reliable to place an order on?
Old 6/20/11, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Just take your time and follow the instructions as it not that difficult of a task.
Old 6/20/11, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
Just take your time and follow the instructions as it not that difficult of a task.
Do you have the SHR handles for you car? If so, how long did it take you for the install for both sides?
Old 6/20/11, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I installed them years ago , the first generation ones , and it wasn't that bad. The instructions are pretty clear and the door panels themselves come off pretty easily. The hard part for me was getting the cable off the old handle. Once you've done one side the second one will go a lot faster ...
Old 6/20/11, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
Do you have the SHR handles for you car? If so, how long did it take you for the install for both sides?
Yes, I installed a set about a year ago. Total time was maybe 90 minutes at the most and as 05YellowGT stated, the second handle/side goes in much quicker.
Old 6/20/11, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
+1, take your time and it is fairly straight forward. Pretty easy. I don't have the SHR handles but I replaced my black stock ones with a set of chromed stockers.

Also, MGW is a very reliable place to order from. My car is full of their stuff.
Old 6/20/11, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by garyb900
+1, take your time and it is fairly straight forward. Pretty easy. I don't have the SHR handles but I replaced my black stock ones with a set of chromed stockers.

Also, MGW is a very reliable place to order from. My car is full of their stuff.
Thanks for the feedback.....will be ordering MGW's power plug and radio ****. I am going with a mix of chrome and black billet look in my car. Will post a pic when I have everything done.

Probably going to order the E brake and a customized shifter boot from RedLine Racing. They seem to have some pretty awesome products.
Old 6/20/11, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
I installed them years ago , the first generation ones , and it wasn't that bad. The instructions are pretty clear and the door panels themselves come off pretty easily. The hard part for me was getting the cable off the old handle. Once you've done one side the second one will go a lot faster ...
Any tips on getting the cable off the old handle?
Old 6/21/11, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sorry , it's been so many years I don't remember the details , other than it was about the only hard part ...
Old 6/21/11, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I installed the UPR handles (see pic). Unlike others I had no trouble with the cable, but had a great deal of difficulty getting the OEM handles off of the door panels. It took two people prying and pulling to get off the first handle. Second one no way it was coming off, eventually I took a Dremel tool and ground a grove in the OEM handle up to the pin in the door panel. While it only took about 30 minutes to remove the door panels. I spent a couple of hours struggling with removing the handles.

BTW, if you plan on upgrading your front speakers, it would be a great time to do it when you have the door panels off.

Old 6/21/11, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did anyone else have a tough time like Scott with the removal of the handles?
Old 6/22/11, 05:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You know , it might have been the handle instead of the cable , as I said it was a long time ago. Which ever one it was , I do remember it being the only hard part. Also , as Scott said , it's a perfect time to replace your sub woofers ...
Attached Thumbnails SHR inside door handles-p1010016.jpg  
Old 6/22/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I did it and I'd say the first one took 45 minutes and the second one took 15 minutes. Then I had to do it again and I think I did both doors in 20 minutes. If you're pulling and tugging hard to remove the cable, you're doing it wrong. From memory, use pliers to push in on the plastic tabs on the "cable brace" (don't know what to call it), then twist 90 degrees to remove the cable brace and it should slip right out. Once you do that, there should be enough slack in the cable to remove it from the handle. Then to get the handle out of the door you'll need a little elbow grease. You'll be pulling a little harder than you're probably comfortable with but it eventually comes out.

Old 6/22/11, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by spike
I did it and I'd say the first one took 45 minutes and the second one took 15 minutes. Then I had to do it again and I think I did both doors in 20 minutes. If you're pulling and tugging hard to remove the cable, you're doing it wrong. From memory, use pliers to push in on the plastic tabs on the "cable brace" (don't know what to call it), then twist 90 degrees to remove the cable brace and it should slip right out. Once you do that, there should be enough slack in the cable to remove it from the handle. Then to get the handle out of the door you'll need a little elbow grease. You'll be pulling a little harder than you're probably comfortable with but it eventually comes out.
Wow....you are a hardcore SHR guy....even have the floor mats! Nice, I am going to order some more stuff as well from them.....I currently have the shifter bezel, E brake handle cover and now the inner door handles.
Old 6/23/11, 04:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitely hardcore.
Old 6/23/11, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

The man makes good stuff... I can't resist. Plus it doesn't hurt that my wife knows her way to the SHR website at christmas time.

If you're having problems during the install, post something up and hopefully I or someone will be around to try to help you out. It's really not that hard.

You should not need to use a dremmel to get the stock handles out. Just a lot of tugging wiggling and pulling. Other things I can remember are:
-remember how the spring is in on the stock handle before you remove it so you know how to install in on the new handle when you transfer it over.
-if the door panel isn't coming off the door, then you missed a screw somewhere. Don't forget the ones behind the handle itself and behind the door pull/armrest.
-don't forget to reconnect electrical connections when putting the door panel back on (I did that) 'cause you'll just have to take it off again to reconnect them.
-post pictures.
Old 6/23/11, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked up a set of Chrome ones for the 2012 6'er that the 'other-half' has stolen.

Luckily I've had the doors apart on the 08 GT three times to convert the switch gear to Blue, Dynamat them, and install new speakers.. Can't see the 2012 being any harder. I'll put pics up next week when I install them.

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 6/23/11 at 01:32 PM.
Old 6/25/11, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the good advice guys....will definitely post some pics up when they are installed.

I have got my MGW power plug and radio **** coming this Weds too!

Quick Reply: SHR inside door handles