05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker or Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I am doing-

MB Quart 4" components in the door, using a 5x7 plate.
JL 8w0 (or 8w1) v2's (both fit PERFECTLY in the stock enclosure...little fabbing to be done).
5.25" speakers on the rear deck.

run a 2 channel and a 4 channel Alpine amp.

I am still debating whether to put a sub the trunk. I honestly think the dual 8's up front will be pretty good. I want LOUD and clean....not so concerned with booming bass. I had dual 12's in my last car...it was obnoxious.
Old 7/17/05, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Fastback65@July 7, 2005, 4:46 PM
I'm going to being ordering my car soon and the only option I'm having trouple deciding on is the stereo. I was'nt going to go aftermarket, but after all the problem I've heard about the skipper I'm not sure. The only reason I want to get the Shaker is because it would be nice to stay stock, and I like the look and location of the door mounted subs. My questioin to all you audio pros is this a good place to even mount subs? Would I be better of with a box in the trunk? Should I mount my own in the door if I get the base unit. I don't want to spend $675.00 :nono: on an upgrade I'm going to rip out just so I can get factory door mounted subs. What to do :scratch:
I have discovered that the Shaker systems has some definite flaws.
MP3 track lenght is the same as for a .wav file, 80 minutes. If you have long
MP3 streams recorded, they will stop and advance to the next disc after 80
minutes. It really stinks. I haven't tried it yet but you may be able to record
multiple 80 minute MP3 streams on a single disc. This is a software limitation.

Additionally, the FF button is a pain to use. You have to press it very hard, and hold it very hard, and that doesn't mean you won't have to release and press again
to remain fast-forwarding.
Old 7/17/05, 01:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Fastback65@July 13, 2005, 11:41 PM
Well after a lot of thought I have decided to go aftermarket. I had to stop and ask myself "do I even need a six disk in dash cd player?" Well I don't...because I have an ipod and would love to have a direct connect for it. I guess this was obvious in retrospect :bang: , but talking about it made me figure out exactly what I wanted. So... I'm going base, ripping it all out, and startin from scratch. Thanx for the discussion guys
My 06 GT is still on order. I went with the base stereo so I can place my own. I think stock head units should come with a AUX input on the dash but maybe someday. So I am going to get a decent aftermarket head unit with iPod controls and place a single 10in in the trunk, put an excellent components set in the front doors and just a decent coax in the rear. That is the same thing I have done on my current car (2003 Explorer) and it is awesome, loud and clean up front with just enough bass to fill. I think the best money should be spent on the front components, to me it makes the most difference.

BTW, I did do lots of listening on the Shaker500 and was not impressed, I did not check the 1000, but the 500 did not sound good at louder levels. The subs in the front doors are a good idea to bring some midbass up front (not a necessity) but aftermarket in the same locations would be so much better.