05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/08 | 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Shaker 500 Questions

I know I will get flamed but I need help with a couple of items with my Shaker 500 in my 08 GT/CS. I did a search and couldn't find the answers and I looked in the owners manual a few times.
Question #1
I have a cable that is in my console that plugs in to an electrical device. This weekend at a car show a friend of mine plugged it into his IPOD brand MP3 player or whatever. The screen on the IPOD displayed the FORD blue oval and had the message "OK To Dissconnect Now". We tried to get the radio to play the songs he had loaded but had no such luck. Is this cable just to charge the IPOD or will it play the songs through this cable aswell? Someone told us that I would probably need to hook up the cable that goes to the Aux port in the console also in order to get sound. A friend of mine was parked right next to me and his car does not have the cable in the console and the cars are identicle other than mine being an Auto and his a 5spd. His was built 4mos before mine.
Question #2
When I push the Phone button on the radio it displays "No Phone" on the radio. Does this meen the radio is Bluetooth equipped or do I need to add something else. My friend with the identicle car doesn't do this either. His just mutes the radio where mine does not.
Any help would be appreciatted. I am a tard when it comes to modern electronics.
Old 12/8/08 | 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

1) the Aux jack in the center console was standard at some point in the production run.. I believe in 07? I'm not sure why your friends doesn't have one if they're both 08's. My 08 (5M) has one and, when I had the Shaker 500 in it, it would play iPods without any issues. All you needed was the adapter for the iPod to plug into an audio input jack. The only hangup was that you had to use the actual iPod controls to play anything.. the Shaker did nothing but controll the volume.

2) The phone button thing has been talked about alot before and I'm still not sure what it was for, but I'm pretty sure the Shakers 05-08 cannot connect to Bluetooth from the factory. I believe it's an option on the new 2010 model though.
Old 12/8/08 | 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

To play the IPod through the radio you have to Push the "AUX" button till IPod displays on Radio. This also how you select Sirius if it was installed. Controlling songs can also be done with radio controls, but it does get frustrating sometimes.

As for phone button all it does is mute the radio.So if someone calls your cell you press button vs. turning **** . Thought kinda like mute on TV? It has no purpose otherwise. If mobile ease was installed, the radio automatically mutes when a call comes in.

Hope this clarifies things a little
Old 12/8/08 | 06:47 PM
V6 Member

The phone button doesn't mute my radio that's what's confusing.
Old 12/9/08 | 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

hmmm. Since your buddies is equipped the same, I'd guess the Skippy 500 may not have been programmed correctly. I had to have mine replaced before I took delivery due to bad output to subs and skipping songs. I do remember that button not working too. u have sirius?
Old 12/26/08 | 12:43 PM
V6 Member

I got an IPOD NANO for Christmas. The cable that my car came with will control the Ipod with the Shaker 500. When the Ipod is plugged into the car a Ford emblem is on the screen and the controls on the Ipod don't work. I have to control the Ipod with the radio.
Old 12/29/08 | 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

that would be correct KEMOSABI! It takes a while to get used to with which buttons to press, you'll get used to it I promise
Old 12/29/08 | 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you guys saying the 08's came with a cable for the aux jack? I am trying to find a cable that works with the aux jack in my 07. Every cable I buy, it only plays the IPOD out of the driver side speakers. Do you guys by chance have a part number for that cable?

Thanks
Old 12/29/08 | 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm guessing that Joe's car has triptunes. Triptunes allows you to connect an ipod to the Shaker 500 via a cable located either in the center console or the glovebox. This cable is separate from and not connected to the AUX jack. If you have Sirius, you keep pressing the AUX button until "SAT 1" is displayed. "ipod mode" should be displayed on the Shaker's screen followed by a list of whatever songs are on the ipod. The radio controls will operate the ipod.
Old 12/30/08 | 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by the procrastinator
I'm guessing that Joe's car has triptunes. Triptunes allows you to connect an ipod to the Shaker 500 via a cable located either in the center console or the glovebox. This cable is separate from and not connected to the AUX jack. If you have Sirius, you keep pressing the AUX button until "SAT 1" is displayed. "ipod mode" should be displayed on the Shaker's screen followed by a list of whatever songs are on the ipod. The radio controls will operate the ipod.

that would be correct. mine is in the glovebox.
I just found something out though and not too happy about it. the triptunes plug will also charge your iPod as well. However, the newest iPod Nano doesn't. It won't charge with aftermarket wall chargers as well ie non apple product! that stinks!
Old 1/7/09 | 10:04 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by the procrastinator
Finally someone that knew what I was trying to describe. Now I know it's called Triptunes. The weird thing is there is nothing listed on my window sticker. Now if I could only get Bluetooth to work on the factory unit. When I press the Phone button a display pops up "No Phone". The radio doesn't mute like friends of mine stangs do.
Old 1/7/09 | 10:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
that would be correct. mine is in the glovebox.
I just found something out though and not too happy about it. the triptunes plug will also charge your iPod as well. However, the newest iPod Nano doesn't. It won't charge with aftermarket wall chargers as well ie non apple product! that stinks!
Yeah mine is the new Ipod Nano and it would be nice if it would charge with the cable. Now that I have the Ipod and the car has Sirius I will never listen to regular radio the 2 or 3 times I drive it a month.
Old 9/15/10 | 02:04 PM

I have the shaker 500 with sirius on the '10 v6 premium and was wondering is there anyway to get the sirius radio to display the channel name and then show the song and artist without having to press the text button??
Old 9/21/10 | 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hihosilver
I have the shaker 500 with sirius on the '10 v6 premium and was wondering is there anyway to get the sirius radio to display the channel name and then show the song and artist without having to press the text button??

not sure, but go through menu and make sure RDSS is on. That may work.. I dropped Sirius after a year so it's been a while.
Old 9/21/10 | 10:09 AM

ok. what is rdss? and how do i turn it on through the menu?
Old 9/21/10 | 11:22 AM
Pov

I'd be curious to know as well. I have RDSS on but I think that only works for FM.
Old 9/21/10 | 11:24 AM

ok, i turned rdss on and that only makes the fm radio say NO PTY whatever that means...it did not change the need to press the text button on the sirius radio when i want to see what is playing, there must be a way that it scrolls.
Old 3/7/13 | 10:27 AM

I have a 08 v6 and when I try to use the Sirius I keep getting a antenna fail message. Does that mean there is something wrong with my antenna or do I need something else to go along with it?