05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500 no more, now Shaker 5435

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/05, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Fellser@June 20, 2005, 7:51 PM
I went to check out the Eclipse, but they immediately tried to switch me to an Alpine. That was fine, but then they said it was illegal for them to install a DVD player that is in view of the driver. They said they could put it in, but there would be a chip or something that wouldn't allow me to use it unless the emergency brake were on.

I guess that's out for me.

They were feeding you a line of BS. Unless your state has a law prohibiting it. An authorized Eclipse installed mine and had no problem with the DVD working while the car was moving. Go to www. eclipse-web.com. Call the 800 number for locating authorized dealers and you will automatically be connected to one in your area. Prices vary but the price I was quoted was $1700 installed for the AVN5435..
Old 6/21/05, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 20, 2005, 8:51 PM
I went to check out the Eclipse, but they immediately tried to switch me to an Alpine. That was fine, but then they said it was illegal for them to install a DVD player that is in view of the driver. They said they could put it in, but there would be a chip or something that wouldn't allow me to use it unless the emergency brake were on.

I guess that's out for me.
Well, technically he is correct. You are not supposed to have any video device other than GPS that is in view of the driver. To keep the stupid ones from watching TV instead of traffic.....you know...the same ones that drive and read.
On my Kenwood DDX7015 there is a wire that hooks to the ebrake switch ( on a standard ) or the park switch ( on an auto ). That keeps video from the DVD player or TV from playing while you are driving. But...strictly by accident I inadvertantly forgot to hook it up and instead left it completely unintentionally grounded.....<wink wink>. The after affect of that was it allows video to play at any time.
Old 6/21/05, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Azguy, did you have them install the optional Eclipse camera or you had them install a different one? I think the Eclipse one was in a square box and wouldn't be able to fit in the lock mechanism. Maybe you had them modify it, I don't know.
Old 6/21/05, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

My bet is it is an aftermarket camera of some kind. I looked at the Eclipse and the Pioneer cameras. Neither would do what I wanted. Ended up with a weatherproof security camera from Fry's Electronics.
Old 6/21/05, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 21, 2005, 9:46 AM
Azguy, did you have them install the optional Eclipse camera or you had them install a different one? I think the Eclipse one was in a square box and wouldn't be able to fit in the lock mechanism. Maybe you had them modify it, I don't know.

It was not an Eclipse camera - the only item in my system that is not Eclipse. Had to take a grinder to the inside of the lock hole. Took 5 minutes of light grinding for the camera to fit.
Old 6/21/05, 05:20 PM

Followup on VSS. Hawgman was correct in identifying the Dark Blue/Yellow Tracer wire in the top plug next to the fuse box as being VSS. I verified that today. The Eclipse AVN5435 has a Check Settings screen on the Navigation menu. "Speed Pulse" will tell you if you have it connected correctly. If it shows your cars speed as you are moving (mine did) then you have it connected. The wiring diagram for the Shaker 500 that I saw somewhere else on this form is not correct for the 2005 Mustand. Pin 14 has no connection.
Old 6/21/05, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@June 21, 2005, 3:03 PM
It was not an Eclipse camera - the only item in my system that is not Eclipse. Had to take a grinder to the inside of the lock hole. Took 5 minutes of light grinding for the camera to fit.
Wow....that kinda sux in a way if it made the hole large enough that the stock lock cylinder won't fit back in if needed. Wish I would have known. Worse case scenario I could have gone and bought you one of what I put in mine ( tapered, fits like a glove ) and shipped it to you, or hooked you up with the item number if you have Fry's dealers in your area.

Either way, isn't it a great mod!! I still grin every time I put mine in reverse.
Old 6/21/05, 06:33 PM
GT Member

Azguy,
Did putting in the aftermarket amps eliminate the popping noise and full range of audio coming out of the subwoofers?

Hawgman,
How much could you get that camera for? I have never even heard of Fry's Electronics so I doubt there is one in my area.
Old 6/21/05, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Oh and by the way, my VSS is connected. I did the speed pulse, and it gives my mph while moving.
Old 6/21/05, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by hawgman@June 21, 2005, 5:06 PM
Wow....that kinda sux in a way if it made the hole large enough that the stock lock cylinder won't fit back in if needed. Wish I would have known. Worse case scenario I could have gone and bought you one of what I put in mine ( tapered, fits like a glove ) and shipped it to you, or hooked you up with the item number if you have Fry's dealers in your area.

Either way, isn't it a great mod!! I still grin every time I put mine in reverse.
Yeah, I could have found one that fit without grinding, but I took what the installer had in stock. Thanks for the offer. I can't see me ever wanting to go back to the lock mechanism. My camera was wired to the VTR input (normally used for watching video tapes) so I can switch to camera anytime. It's neat going down the road and switching to camera just by touching the screen
Old 6/21/05, 06:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 21, 2005, 6:36 PM
Azguy,
Did putting in the aftermarket amps eliminate the popping noise and full range of audio coming out of the subwoofers?

Hawgman,
How much could you get that camera for? I have never even heard of Fry's Electronics so I doubt there is one in my area.
If you wire the amps correctly they don't pop. I don't have a bit of pop in mine. Just got to get rid of that +12vDC you have going to them to signal turn on. Drop it to +5vDC and you won't have any more popping.

The camera is a security camera. It was $139. Yea, I know, I said $125 in the thread about my stereo. I was off by $15. You might shop around at some security shops, survelance shops, anywhere that might have something like that. Don't limit yourself to audio car shops.

Here is a link to the camera I used from Fry's on line store
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4306105?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I just removed the base from it ( comes off with a thumb screw ) made a bracket, and bolted the bracket in where the trunk lock bolted in. Drilled a hole in the bracket and put the thumb screw back in.
[attachmentid=25221]

The lens cover of the camera was tapered, so it went right in to the keylock hole and wedged in. Adjusted the bracket to hold it tight, removed it, put some marine silicon around the shaft of the camera, then reinstalled everything.
[attachmentid=25222]
Old 6/21/05, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 21, 2005, 5:36 PM
Azguy,

The subwoofers in the doors were kept in my system but the amps were disconnected. So popping wasn't an issue in mine. I had one 4 channel and one 2 channel amp added and new lspeakers for the doors and rear deck. Also had 2 10" subwoofers installed in the trunk. Originally opted for one 12" but decided to go with the 2 10". The sound is really something. I have a custom subwoofer enclosure being built for the subwoofers. Similar to this one but cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5783750026&rd=1

Hawgman,
Old 6/21/05, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@June 21, 2005, 6:46 PM
My camera was wired to the VTR input (normally used for watching video tapes) so I can switch to camera anytime. It's neat going down the road and switching to camera just by touching the screen
I kinda thought about that also. Would be kind of cool but I wasn't quite sure how to work out it auto switching to the reverse camera view when put in to reverse. So I just hooked it up to the "reverse camera" input on the head unit and set it up for autoswitch upon signal sense. Then got power for the camera from the backup lights. It switches on when I put it in reverse, then switches back to whatever screen I had the headunit on when I take it out.

Another thing I thought about was getting the rear view mirror that is a video screen, splitting the input and wiring it to that for the full time rear view camera. But once again, I would be battling with the input sensor for reverse on the head unit. I haven't given up on it yet, just have it on hold for the time being. When I pull the radio out to put in the NAV unit ( if I ever quit spending money on mods and save it for the NAV unit! ) I may play around with it some more.
Old 6/21/05, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@June 21, 2005, 6:56 PM

Look a couple of posts above this. I quoted and responded.

"Here is a link to the camera I used from Fry's on line store"
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/430...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
They are $139
Old 6/21/05, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by hawgman@June 21, 2005, 5:57 PM
I kinda thought about that also. Would be kind of cool but I wasn't quite sure how to work out it auto switching to the reverse camera view when put in to reverse. So I just hooked it up to the "reverse camera" input on the head unit and set it up for autoswitch upon signal sense. Then got power for the camera from the backup lights. It switches on when I put it in reverse, then switches back to whatever screen I had the headunit on when I take it out.

Another thing I thought about was getting the rear view mirror that is a video screen, splitting the input and wiring it to that for the full time rear view camera. But once again, I would be battling with the input sensor for reverse on the head unit. I haven't given up on it yet, just have it on hold for the time being. When I pull the radio out to put in the NAV unit ( if I ever quit spending money on mods and save it for the NAV unit! ) I may play around with it some more.
I was going to have it installed with a toggle switch that I could use to switch to the camera anytime, but the installer suggested the VTR and I really didn't want to have a hole drilled in my dash for the toggle. I have to go to camera via the VTR even when in reverse. A little bit more of a hassel but only have to touch the screen twice. The rear view mirror idea sounds good. Let me know if you make it work.
Old 6/21/05, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@June 21, 2005, 7:05 PM
I was going to have it installed with a toggle switch that I could use to switch to the camera anytime, but the installer suggested the VTR and I really didn't want to have a hole drilled in my dash for the toggle. I have to go to camera via the VTR even when in reverse. A little bit more of a hassel but only have to touch the screen twice. The rear view mirror idea sounds good. Let me know if you make it work.
Question. Does your head unit have some kind of "auto sense" setup for the video inputs? For instance, you used the VTR input. If you had say a playstation hooked to that input, would it ( or could you set it up to ) automatically switch to that input when you power up the playstation? If so, you could ( if you wanted it that way ) change the power supply source on your camera from constant voltage with the key on to a switched power source i.e. the power wire for your backup lights. That would give power to the camera when in reverse, then kill the power when you take it out. And if you wanted to also have the ability to use it while driving, you could put a switch in the console somewhere out of site and run a secondary power source to the camera.
Old 6/21/05, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by hawgman@June 21, 2005, 6:31 PM
Question. Does your head unit have some kind of "auto sense" setup for the video inputs? For instance, you used the VTR input. If you had say a playstation hooked to that input, would it ( or could you set it up to ) automatically switch to that input when you power up the playstation? If so, you could ( if you wanted it that way ) change the power supply source on your camera from constant voltage with the key on to a switched power source i.e. the power wire for your backup lights. That would give power to the camera when in reverse, then kill the power when you take it out. And if you wanted to also have the ability to use it while driving, you could put a switch in the console somewhere out of site and run a secondary power source to the camera.
I am not sure, but isn't that essentially how it would have worked if I have wired the camera in the system as it was intended, i.e. it would work only in reverse. I went with the VTR connection to avoid having to put a toggle somewhere out of sight but within arms reach. I checked the manuals but saw nothing about video input auto sensing, but since it is an option the book didn't go into much detail on the camera. The camera take some getting used to. Things behind you are not as close as they appear to be on the screen.
Old 6/21/05, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@June 21, 2005, 8:02 PM
I am not sure, but isn't that essentially how it would have worked if I have wired the camera in the system as it was intended, i.e. it would work only in reverse. I went with the VTR connection to avoid having to put a toggle somewhere out of sight but within arms reach. I checked the manuals but saw nothing about video input auto sensing, but since it is an option the book didn't go into much detail on the camera. The camera take some getting used to. Things behind you are not as close as they appear to be on the screen.
I wish I could have found a camera like what is on my wife's FX45. It has lines in the rear tire path superimposed every 1 foot that graduate from green to red as you get closer to the rear bumper. That way you can tell how far things are behind you.
Old 7/2/05, 05:37 PM

V1 Motorsports, in Tempe Arizona, made a custom sub-woofer enclosure for my 2 10" Eclipse speakers. Excellent workmanship. Sit in the front seats, crank up my Eclipse 5435 and it's like getting a back massage. If you are in the area, check these guys out!

[attachmentid=26254]
[attachmentid=26255]
[attachmentid=26256]
Old 7/3/05, 05:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@July 2, 2005, 5:40 PM
V1 Motorsports, in Tempe Arizona, made a custom sub-woofer enclosure for my 2 10" Eclipse speakers. Excellent workmanship. Sit in the front seats, crank up my Eclipse 5435 and it's like getting a back massage. If you are in the area, check these guys out!
Looks sweet man! Can you get your spare out without removing the box?

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 no more, now Shaker 5435