05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500 no more, now Shaker 5435

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 03:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the Eclipse AVN5435 installed to replace the skippy Shaker 500. I also had them install the Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner and run a cable from the RCA jacks on the unit through the center console and out the glovebox for my iPod.

Pros:
1. Looks factory, this unit looks amazing in the '05.
2. Navigation is the best on the market IMO.
3. Plays DVDs, something the Pioneer AVIC-D1 isn't capable of.
4. The integrated Sirius is really great.
5. The iPod connects directly to the unit, although there are no controls interfaced, beats the heck out of the crappy FM transmitters.
6. Navigation and Sirius receivers are on the top of the dash, tucked next to the driver and passenger doors and are barely noticable.
7. A lot more that I haven't even figured out yet.

Cons:
1. Subwoofers pop when turning the car on.
2. Full range of audio comes out of subwoofers, due to the factory amps and other factory equipment.
Please read this whole thread to find out more: Installed Eclipse AVN5435 and sound stinks!

With that said, this unit is the best if you are going for a full audio system. In the next few weeks I intend on getting JL Audio equipment put in the car, taking away the 5435s current defects and taking it to its full potential. Don't take this the wrong way, the sound as it is right now is great, just not perfect. The Subs only pop when you start the car and you wouldn't notice them playing full range of audio unless you played with the settings, shut off all the speakers except the subs, and put your ear to them. One of your friends getting in to listen wouldn't notice it at all. I am really happy with the 5435 and I am glad I got it over the Pioneer or Kenwood. IMO, the Eclipse can't be beat right now for Double-Din units.

Final Thoughts:
Getting a full aftermarket stereo system? Go with Eclipse.
Just looking for a Double-Din unit and keeping the factory stereo? Eclipse is nice but has above-mentioned defects, so look elsewhere.

If anyone has anymore questions or wants different pictures don't hesitate to ask.

[IMG]

Old 6/14/05, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Looks great!!!! Best of luck with it!!!!!
Old 6/14/05, 05:16 PM
Cobra Member

Looks great. Glad your liking it. I still find it amazing that something that expensive does not have internal cross overs for the subs.

Am I the only one that has installed a new head unit that DOESN'T have the amp popping noise when it powers up?
Old 6/14/05, 05:19 PM
GT Member

Looks that way.....mine pops enough to scare ya first thing in the AM.

Still workin' on a fix. I'm open to ideas.
Old 6/14/05, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks! I swore I would never touch another car stereo but this one is just too tempting with ipod, sat radio, navigation and dvd...very jealous

You might try a passive crossover on the subs, it goes in line with the speaker http://www.pac-audio.com/products/passivecrossover.htm . They also do make amp turn on/off pop eliminators http://www.davidnavone.com/amp.html

Questions:
Where did they mount the gps/sat sensors and what shape are they? Did the VSS work using the harness or did they have to find a tach wire? Did they disable the no dvd while driving feature? I know on the original dvd headunits all it took was grounding the parking brake wire and you were good to go. Wonder if they made it harder.

Found this too that I had not seen yet: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2yWPEHKiorq/c...MUS05&id=review

Guess it's time to start looking for an amp that fits under the seats...
Old 6/14/05, 07:10 PM
GT Member

Questions:
Where did they mount the gps/sat sensors and what shape are they? Did the VSS work using the harness or did they have to find a tach wire? Did they disable the no dvd while driving feature? I know on the original dvd headunits all it took was grounding the parking brake wire and you were good to go. Wonder if they made it harder.
The GPS and Sat sensors are mounted on top of the dashboard. One is on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. They are tucked as far as possible to the front of the dash under the windshield, and you barely notice them. I'm pretty sure there is no VSS with the Eclipse. Yes, they said I can watch movies while driving, although I haven't tested this yet. Thanks for the other suggestions to fix the problems, but those will disappear when I complete the aftermarket stereo upgrade with the rest of the car.
Old 6/14/05, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 14, 2005, 7:13 PM
The GPS and Sat sensors are mounted on top of the dashboard. One is on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. They are tucked as far as possible to the front of the dash under the windshield, and you barely notice them. I'm pretty sure there is no VSS with the Eclipse. Yes, they said I can watch movies while driving, although I haven't tested this yet. Thanks for the other suggestions to fix the problems, but those will disappear when I complete the aftermarket stereo upgrade with the rest of the car.

2005 Black GT,

I'm glad it worked out pretty well for you. There is a problem though. Without the VSS hooked up you will not get proper voice guidance from the unit. Try and drive off course once and see what happens. The route won't change. With that said I'm selling my AVN5435 so if anyone is interested its $1399.00 plus whatever it is to ship it to you. Still has 11 1/2 months on the warranty.

Here is a link to a post on another forum with an idea about VSS.
VSS Thread

Here is what Eclipse send me as a response to hooking up VSS in the Mustang.

Hello,

Yes, you would need the VSS hooked up
to get voice guidance.
For the 05 Mustange, it is tricky. A lot of installers
had difficulty finding it. We have found out that
there are a couple of leads(VSS) by the transfer case on the transmission
that works well with the unit. This helped resolve the problem you are
having.
Tap into each one with a multimeter and when the tire rotates, make sure
you are getting 5 to 12 volts. when the wheels stops rotating you should get
0V.
You may want to have your retailer help you out on this.

AVN/AVX Support Line
Old 6/14/05, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear yours did not work out bpmurr...I am sure this will be easier in about 6 months after more people tear up and modify the car.

That's a strange response from Eclipse...they must have the special 4WD version, imagine a 3000RPM launch in 4-HI

Most all installers have access to databases and shop manuals that have every wire location and color, it's just a matter of finding the wire. Are you going back to the stock head unit?
Old 6/14/05, 08:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by donkey@June 14, 2005, 8:21 PM
Sorry to hear yours did not work out bpmurr...I am sure this will be easier in about 6 months after more people tear up and modify the car.

That's a strange response from Eclipse...they must have the special 4WD version, imagine a 3000RPM launch in 4-HI

Most all installers have access to databases and shop manuals that have every wire location and color, it's just a matter of finding the wire. Are you going back to the stock head unit?
Check the sig. I went with the AVIC-D1 instead. It is working pretty well so far. The car tends to lose course though when I'm in a wooded area.
Old 6/14/05, 09:47 PM
GT Member

I'm not sure if the VSS is hooked up, I'll have to call them. What does VSS stand for?
Old 6/14/05, 09:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 14, 2005, 9:50 PM
I'm not sure if the VSS is hooked up, I'll have to call them. What does VSS stand for?
I think it means Vehicle Speed Sense.
Old 6/15/05, 04:47 PM
GT Member

I'm glad it worked out pretty well for you. There is a problem though. Without the VSS hooked up you will not get proper voice guidance from the unit. Try and drive off course once and see what happens. The route won't change.
Well I've been playing around with the navigation and lo and behold, apparently the VSS is hooked up. The only reason I'm saying that is because whenever I go off course, the route changes. I was using it for directions to local places I already knew how to get to, just to test it out. Since we all know our local roads better then a nav unit, I took other routes then the one shown. Whenever I went off course the route would change and give new directions from wherever I currently was. Apparently my Eclipse installer knew what he was doing since he had done a few '05s before. Maybe your installer screwed up?
Old 6/15/05, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

For those of you having issues with full range coming out of the door subs how doe you have them hooked up? Via front/rear preouts or via sub preouts? If you are not using the sub preouts you will get problem. I think you need to get some FMOD RCA inline crossovers. I will be ordering some when I hook up the real subs and move my doors to the rear outputs.
Old 6/15/05, 09:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 15, 2005, 4:50 PM
Well I've been playing around with the navigation and lo and behold, apparently the VSS is hooked up. The only reason I'm saying that is because whenever I go off course, the route changes. I was using it for directions to local places I already knew how to get to, just to test it out. Since we all know our local roads better then a nav unit, I took other routes then the one shown. Whenever I went off course the route would change and give new directions from wherever I currently was. Apparently my Eclipse installer knew what he was doing since he had done a few '05s before. Maybe your installer screwed up?
Yeah, it does.....it sounds like your installer took the time to install the unit properly where mine said screw it I'm doing satellite only. Could you call your installer and ask where he found the VSS (a.k.a. speed sense) wire and hooked into it?
Old 6/16/05, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@June 15, 2005, 9:12 PM
Yeah, it does.....it sounds like your installer took the time to install the unit properly where mine said screw it I'm doing satellite only. Could you call your installer and ask where he found the VSS (a.k.a. speed sense) wire and hooked into it?
It's the blue wire with the yellow tracer , left side,on the top plug of the PCM. And it is not actually VSS any more, it is OSS and makes up its own VSS inside of the PCM, so its electronic. You can read it with a scan tool and bring up the VSS pid
Old 6/17/05, 09:19 PM
GT Member

I got my car a week ago and I have to say I was content with Shaker 500 until I saw what you put in your car. It looks awesome.
Old 6/19/05, 05:06 PM

Just had an Eclipse AVN 5435 installed by V1 Motorsports in Tempe, AZ. They really did a great job on a very hard and complex install. Also had an Eclipse 4 Channel Amp (EA3422), a 2 Channel Amp(EA2212), a Subwoofer (SW7524DVC) installed in the trunk, and a pair of SP8974's in the doors and the same pair in the rear deck. I had the Shaker 500, so had no trunk subwoofer. I do now! They also installed a camera in the key lock mechanism of the rear badge. It is pretty much the only place a camera can be installed, but it is the ideal place and you wouldn't even know it was there. Can't use a key to open the trunk any more but so what. Let me tell you, having a backup camera makes backing so musc easier, plus I can switch it on when cruising down the freeway to see what is behind me. The amps were both installed in the trunk under the rear deck and are completely out of sight. The stock subwoofers in the doors were kept in the system, but the amps in the doors were eliminated. Anyone in the area wanting Eclipse audio equipment installed by an authorized dealer can not go wrong using these guys. They can also do alot of other mods including installing body kits. I am completely satisfied with the outstanding CD, DVD, and radio audio I have now, not to mention the navigation capabilities. Eclipse is great and V1 Motorsports did an outstanding job!!!
Old 6/20/05, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@June 19, 2005, 5:09 PM
Just had an Eclipse AVN 5435 installed by V1 Motorsports in Tempe, AZ. They really did a great job on a very hard and complex install. Also had an Eclipse 4 Channel Amp (EA3422), a 2 Channel Amp(EA2212), a Subwoofer (SW7524DVC) installed in the trunk, and a pair of SP8974's in the doors and the same pair in the rear deck. I had the Shaker 500, so had no trunk subwoofer. I do now! They also installed a camera in the key lock mechanism of the rear badge. It is pretty much the only place a camera can be installed, but it is the ideal place and you wouldn't even know it was there. Can't use a key to open the trunk any more but so what. Let me tell you, having a backup camera makes backing so musc easier, plus I can switch it on when cruising down the freeway to see what is behind me. The amps were both installed in the trunk under the rear deck and are completely out of sight. The stock subwoofers in the doors were kept in the system, but the amps in the doors were eliminated. Anyone in the area wanting Eclipse audio equipment installed by an authorized dealer can not go wrong using these guys. They can also do alot of other mods including installing body kits. I am completely satisfied with the outstanding CD, DVD, and radio audio I have now, not to mention the navigation capabilities. Eclipse is great and V1 Motorsports did an outstanding job!!!
Looks like I started something with the rear view camera thing

Lets see pics of the install man, sounds nice!
Old 6/20/05, 06:27 PM

[attachmentid=25096][attachmentid=25097][attachmentid=25098][attachmentid=25099][attachmentid=25100]I knew I had seen where someone else had installed the camera in the trunk lock. Great idea hawgman. Pictures below are during the install by V1 Motorsports. As I said these guys are true professionals. The guy doing my install worked over 10 hours and it turned out perfect.
Old 6/20/05, 08:48 PM
GT Member

I went to check out the Eclipse, but they immediately tried to switch me to an Alpine. That was fine, but then they said it was illegal for them to install a DVD player that is in view of the driver. They said they could put it in, but there would be a chip or something that wouldn't allow me to use it unless the emergency brake were on.

I guess that's out for me.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 no more, now Shaker 5435