05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500 / MP3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/05, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I burned MP3s with MM Jukebox. When I play them in the Shaker 500 they play in shuffle order. I can't figure out if it is the radio or the software that's doing it.

Can some please tell me if I need to play with the Shaker or if I need a new burning program?

Thanks
Old 6/12/05, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Two things to check:

1. Put the CD-ROM back in your computer and look at the order of files on it in Explorer. If they're in the order you want, it's not the disc or your burning software.

2. On the Shaker, there is a Shuffle button. Press it until it says Shuffle Off in the display. Then you'll be good to go.
Old 6/14/05, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The MP3's will play in alphabeticall order by file name.

If you are in folder mode it will play just the songs in each folder in alpha order. If you are in the other mode (can't remember the name at the moment) it will play ALL songs on disc in alpha order.

To check which mode you are in, start playing an MP3 cd and press menu. The first thing to come up should be the mode. Use the up/down arrows to toggle between the 2 modes.

If you want the songs to play in the same order as the CD rename the files with the track number at the begining of the file name. And use 2 digits (i.e. 01, 02....) or you will get them playing in the order 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3...

Hope that helps.
Old 6/14/05, 08:46 AM
GT Member

That is helpful. I noticed one of the MP3s I burned won't let me FF through a song, forget about an entire record. I burned all of them around the same time--meaning I didn't change any settings--the other MP3 lets me forward through a song and through files.

Has anyone blown out their speakers yet? I know the Shaker 500 is 500 watts, but they don't say if that is the speaker capacity or the amplifier. I've turned mine up pretty close to max, but I'm afraid to blow it out. I drive a vert, so turning it up isn't unreasonable on a highway and these MP3s aren't recording as hot as I'd like them.

I think I have to rerecord all the MP3s I did. Oh, what is that 4, 8, 12 thing it asks about? I know to record at 128, but I don't know what the other number refers to.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 6/14/05, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 14, 2005, 10:49 AM
That is helpful. I noticed one of the MP3s I burned won't let me FF through a song, forget about an entire record. I burned all of them around the same time--meaning I didn't change any settings--the other MP3 lets me forward through a song and through files.

Has anyone blown out their speakers yet? I know the Shaker 500 is 500 watts, but they don't say if that is the speaker capacity or the amplifier. I've turned mine up pretty close to max, but I'm afraid to blow it out. I drive a vert, so turning it up isn't unreasonable on a highway and these MP3s aren't recording as hot as I'd like them.

I think I have to rerecord all the MP3s I did. Oh, what is that 4, 8, 12 thing it asks about? I know to record at 128, but I don't know what the other number refers to.

Thanks again for the help.
4x 8x 12x is the record speed
Old 6/14/05, 08:35 PM
GT Member

so which speed do I want? Is faster better or is slower better?
Old 6/15/05, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the record speed shouldn't really matter.

As far as making the MP3's sound good when they are loud. Try reripping them at 192 kbps. (Converting a standard audio CD to MP3 is called ripping.) You could even go to 256 if you are a real audiophile, but you'll only be able to get half as many files on the disc compared to 128.

A quick lesson about MP3's. The number, i.e. 128 kbps, tells you how much memory each second is going to take. In this case each second of the song will use 128 kilobits. At 256 each second is taking twice as much storage space. For comparison a standard audio CD runs at around 1400 kbps. But the human ear can't really distinguish the subtle nuances that are available at 1400 unless you are in a sound proof chamber. Ambient noise will drown most of them out, making MP3's ideal for car stereos since there is plenty of ambient noise. However, the louder you turn the stereo the more likely you are to notice something is missing.

I would just burn 1 CD at the higher rates and see if that fixes it for you. Blank CD's are cheap (or free) so don't be afraid to experiment.