05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

shaker 500 door speakers need to be flush

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/07 | 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

shaker 500 door speakers need to be flush

I'm not a fan of the door speakers. Specifically, I don't like how they stick out about an 1" to 1.25". Has anyone replaced the door speakers with anything that is flush and doesn't protrude so much? I'd like to see a pic if possible. thanks.
Old 1/17/07 | 03:21 PM
Cobra R Member

No pic, but food for thought

the speakers sticking out don't bother me nearly as much as the ugly grille. I was thinking about putting speaker cloth material over the plastic grille, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I think that would give it a much better look. Foose's interior does this and also paints the trim ring. This looks good, but it is too much silver in conjuction with my painted window switch plates.

In regard to being flush, I think that because of the way the door panel and speaker brackets are set up, it would be hard to set up (you may have to custom make some brakets, and you may not have enough mounting depth). You can just pull the plastic trim ring off to see what I am talking about.

BTW, this all assumes shaker 500 or 1000
Old 1/17/07 | 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have hit the speaker cover a few times with my foot getting in and out of the car--especially when parking in tight areas where you can't open the door wide enough. It was then that I noticed how much these things stick out. I wanted to say, in my first post, that they are really ugly but i didn't. Since you already said it, i'll definitely agree with you on that.
Old 1/17/07 | 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think they stick out a bit to far also
Old 1/17/07 | 05:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

+1 I agree that they stick out too far. I hit those things ALL the time.
Old 1/22/07 | 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont think them sticking out bothers me as much as them not sounding as fierce as they look. But thats another topic altogether.
Old 1/22/07 | 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the shaker 500 in my first car and didnt care to much for it so this time around I'm going to build my own (once some other mods are done). My question is if you have the stock stereo the non shaker system.. whats behind the door panels? Is there still room to put a speaker where the shaker system has them? Just curious.
Old 1/22/07 | 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Shaun81
I had the shaker 500 in my first car and didnt care to much for it so this time around I'm going to build my own (once some other mods are done). My question is if you have the stock stereo the non shaker system.. whats behind the door panels? Is there still room to put a speaker where the shaker system has them? Just curious.
i had a 06 on order with a standard stereo because of this., then found a car with the 500, i dont know what is behind them
Attached Thumbnails shaker 500 door speakers need to be flush-standardgt1.jpg  
Old 1/23/07 | 05:32 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

I couldn't agree more. Those door speakers look terrible sticking out so far. I've asked the question a few times in some speaker threads and never got a solution.

Rich, your interior looks SOOO much better w/o the speaker.

Mike, just recently I saw a speaker cover that is "plain" w/o the rugged looking features of the stock cover. I can't remember who was selling it, but I'm sure I'll run across it again soon and I'll be sure to post it here when I do. (sorry guys, it's not any smaller than the stock cover, just smoother)
Old 1/23/07 | 05:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Personally, I think that the door without the speaker looks kind of "naked," as if something belongs there. But, since I've gotten so used to the door panels with the speaker there, it should be understandable. If I was used to it, I would probably think otherwise.

Also, the speaker sticking out never even really bothered me. I've never hit it, so I guess I've never paid it any mind.

Stangnut, thanks. That sounds interesting.
Old 1/23/07 | 05:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am always hitting it with my foot
Old 1/23/07 | 05:53 PM
I lust for a M24

That's why I didn't get a Shaker.
Old 1/23/07 | 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I am always hitting it with my foot
So was I and my passengers, was part of my reasoning for avoiding the shaker. If I get time this weekend I might pull off the interior door panels and see if theres room for a flush mounted speaker down there..
Old 1/24/07 | 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

There's plenty of room...if you can find a speaker that's under 2.75" mounting (hint: you won't).
Old 1/24/07 | 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

It doesnt have to be a sub for me... a speaker would work right? I really wouldnt know car audio isnt the first thing I jump into, tts just something for me if I run out of other mods

Something like this maybe? http://caraudio.avdeals.com/speakers/ma6529.htm
Old 2/16/07 | 07:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangNut
I couldn't agree more. Those door speakers look terrible sticking out so far. I've asked the question a few times in some speaker threads and never got a solution.

Rich, your interior looks SOOO much better w/o the speaker.

Mike, just recently I saw a speaker cover that is "plain" w/o the rugged looking features of the stock cover. I can't remember who was selling it, but I'm sure I'll run across it again soon and I'll be sure to post it here when I do. (sorry guys, it's not any smaller than the stock cover, just smoother)
It does look good without, but that was a pic from when I thought I was getting the VB I ordered. I was posting all over about the door panels being flat and how much easier it will be. I couldn't wait and found a Premium with the Shaker 500 that I am very very glad to have...(after previously having the Shaker 1000 in the 05 Deluxe). So I first try not to kick the speaker and then wipe the speaker off if I do. It's difficult because theres no alot of room in parking or garage space.
Old 2/16/07 | 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

I personally like the aggressive look of the speakers. I only hit mine when I can't open the door all the way.

-Deric
Old 5/11/08 | 09:00 PM

Did you ever find the replacement covers? I think the stock covers for the 500 is awful.
Old 5/12/08 | 05:53 AM
V6 Member

Wow, 8 months of getting in and out of my car (14000 miles worth) I have never kicked the speaker cover...sounds like its a pretty common problem. Of course I never park close enough to anything that I can barely open the door either. I always park way out in BFE to avoid dings and dents.
Old 5/13/08 | 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevworthy
Wow, 8 months of getting in and out of my car (14000 miles worth) I have never kicked the speaker cover...sounds like its a pretty common problem. Of course I never park close enough to anything that I can barely open the door either. I always park way out in BFE to avoid dings and dents.
+1

Never had a problem hitting the speaker with my foot although I have hit my head on the door frame a few times...

I admit I like to feel the hairs on my legs move when the bass is cranked from the door subs. With the little ones in the doors plus the Infinity 12" in the trunk...the Shaker 500 lives up to it's name...but then again, it is not REALLY a 500 with the 1000 watt Kenwood amp in back is it???

Last edited by Mach; 5/13/08 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: shaker 500 door speakers need to be flush