05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 1000 owners...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/06, 07:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 1000 owners...any good?

Hi all,

On paper, the shaker 1000 looks very impressive. 1000+ watts of power, 4 amps, 10 speakers (including subs). For those who have the shaker 1000, what's your opinion? What are the pro's and con's, and does it hit pretty hard when it's cranked?

I ordered an 07 mustang on Monday, and decided to go with the 1000. I'm sure for the money I could have gotten a nice aftermarket system, but I'm going to be busy with other mods and figured I'd never spend the $$$ on the radio if I didn't do it now. These are expensive toys...

Thanks for the feedback,
MM
Old 6/7/06, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Two thumbs up

I'd say it's an awesome system especially being from the factory. There have been several people that have had issues with there cd's skipping. I haven't had any problems so far. Since the 07's will be sat ready your already a step ahead of the game.
Old 6/7/06, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love mine!

I have had the skipping issue, but they switched it out and it's been fine ever since...

When I saw the paperwork on the car, it was supposed to be the Shaker 500, but it was actually the 1000... I had the 460 in my last Mustang, so I thought the 500 would be fine, but when I listened to the 1000, it sounds so much better! It's pricey for what you get and could get a decent system put in aftermarket for the price of the 1000 upgrade, but for someone who just likes a decent radio and doesn't want to worry about aftermarket, it's pretty nice... I just wanted to make sure it could play MP3's and was a multi-disc system... The sub's hit pretty good for stock and I even impressed my neighbor (who installs car stereos) when I told him it was stock... I'd say if there's a Mustang on the lot with the 1000, take a couple CD's and test it out... That way you'd know for sure if it's worth it...
Old 6/7/06, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love how it sounds, but I'm on my second one, and she's in the shop with issues again-spits out CDs as bad when they are good, and the speed volume control does not work. Sounds great when it all works. Love the MP3. I'm a little old for all that bass, but I like it just the same. I'm sure the bugs have been worked out by now!
Old 6/7/06, 08:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I turned off the subs just for a sec to see how it would sound like if i had the 500 and believe me dude...1000 ALL THE WAY!!! the 500 just seems like it is missing something and the punch from the subs and upgraded amps...i love it dude plus the speed volume feature really helps when you need that little boost in power
Old 6/8/06, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

I want just the enclosure for my own subs. None of the aftermarket companies will make a 2x10, only 1x12.
Old 6/9/06, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

You are wrong infinity. here is a link to an ebayer that is making 2x12's, or if you want him to you can get 2x10's. I emailed him and he said no problem, plus they can paint the box same as car etc. good luck
http://cgi.ebay.com/05-06-FORD-MUSTA...QQcmdZViewItem

If you want the guys email address pm me.
Attached Images  
Old 6/9/06, 12:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
The Shaker 1000 works fine for me, I have an '05 but have never had a disc skip, spit out, or malfunction. Bass works well, diminishes a bit with the top down. Gangsta rap thumps well up to 80% volume (then the door speakers get overwhelmed and buzz).

Don't put anything in your door pockets, they will buzz like crazy.

I don't use the speed controlled volume, it annoyed the hell out of me so I turned it off.

Six disc MP3 player rocks!!!

You will lose your trunk! But then again, you probably already knew that.

Overall, it's horridly expensive and not a good value for the money, but it is a kick a__ stereo for those of us that don't want to mess around with finicky aftermarket radios and their problems. It won't match your local O.G. Gangsta ride for bass (as far as hearing your car coming 1/2 mile away) but it works plenty well for those inside the car, and sounds great!

Much better than my old Mach 460.
Old 6/9/06, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
You are wrong infinity. here is a link to an ebayer that is making 2x12's, or if you want him to you can get 2x10's. I emailed him and he said no problem, plus they can paint the box same as car etc. good luck
http://cgi.ebay.com/05-06-FORD-MUSTA...QQcmdZViewItem

If you want the guys email address pm me.
I have seen that one, and it is nice. I just want 2x10's molded to the side just like the Shaker. I can easily build a normal MDF box to go where that one does. But, I can't paint like that.
Old 6/10/06, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No problems with the 1000 in my GT Vert. Only upgrade I would consider is to add a higher quality mid-range, mine seem a little tinny when the volume is cranked with the top down. Have been in a coupe, sounds great with very little distortion when cranked. I say go for it!
Old 6/10/06, 11:34 PM

I have the Shaker1000. Some minor problems playing mp3 discs. Typically only affects certain tracks. The sound quality is fairly good. I think an aftermarket solution could sound better and cost less, but involve more work.
Old 6/12/06, 07:19 AM
GT Member

Shaker 1000 Is Junk

Just about to order my 2007 GT convertible, and planned on everything including a Shaker 1000. However, after I read how members of this and other forums trashed the 1000, I thought I really look into it.

Saturday my wife and I went to another dealer and lined up two GT's side by side. One with the 500 and one with the 1000. We went from vehicle to vehicle to compare the same song(s). We then sat in the 1000 vehicle and toggled the subwoofer on and off. You can do this through the menu.

It was unbelivable. Toggling the subwoofer on and off made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE, contrary to what another poster here just said. Unless you are into some ultra low bass rap music (I'm guessing), the 1000 is junk. There is no way I'd do it, and I'm as gullible as they come when it relates to ordering a car.

Frankly the whole experience makes me wonder about Ford. To me the 1000 seems to be a gimmic to dupe some young rap music fan into spending $1,295 MSRP. They could have easily come up with some quality for that kinda of money.

I would also venture to say that those on this board who speak positively of the 1000 do so because it was on their vehicle when they bought it. The real answer should come from someone who made a choice to spend the $1,295 MSRP, and now has an opinion of the quality they bought. I just can't believe that there would be many satisfied customers in this group.
Old 6/12/06, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Satisfied with the 1000. I dont havr time or care about getting aftermarket. If Im going to have issues with a new car Id rather take them all to one place instead of going to the stereo guy. yes you lose a little trunk but this is my summer car so I didnt care.
Old 6/12/06, 07:37 AM
FR500 Member

Well believe it! I ordered it. And I like it. Does it sound a lot different than the 500, you bet it does. Maybe the one you demoed wasn't working right

When I picked mine up I remember wondering why the stereo didn't sound quite right, then I scrolled through the menu's and activated the subs and, it was a world of difference.

Now I used to be hardcore into car audio years ago, and this system is far from being perfect and it's true that for that kind of money I could have put something really nice together.....

But I didn't want to. It's that simple. So for a system that came from the factory, I'm really pleased with it. It's the best "stock" system I've ever heard or owned.

If you're having a hard time about spending $1295, then it's simple. Don't get it and roll your own cheaper.
Old 6/12/06, 07:51 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

I have mixed feelings on the Shaker 1000 in my car.

No doubt it is a great system for being OEM - and believe me, the bass made me laugh the first time I cranked it because it's so ridiculously loud. I tend to listen to more bass heavy music...I leave the Shaker Bass level at half most of the time. The other day I was listening to a CD that I hadn't played yet in this car and during one of the songs, this super low frequency kicked in that I had never heard before and it just about gave me heart palpitations! My previous car had a Bose factory system which I had supplemented with a 10" + amp in the trunk, and I had never heard that before.

However, for the money...would I buy it again? I doubt it. I'd have rather used my old 10" + amp that I yanked from my last car, and spent the money on retrofitting a Nav system from a Freestyle/Freestar. It was the OEM fitment and look that appealed to me for this upgrade, however given the cost, I would have expected some additional user interfaces in the head unit. All you get is Bass, Treble, Fade L/R and F/R. It's pretty rudimentary IMHO.

I have never had any skipping or CD reading problems with my stereo, and now that it's there and in the car, I do like it, and like that's it's fairly unique.

Cheers,
Kristina
Old 6/12/06, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't get into the pro's and con's of the Shaker1000. But what I would like to point out that it is an ADDITIONAL $1295 MSRP only if you have the premium trim. If you start with a Deluxe GT it will cost you $1770 MSRP. Your TRUE COST (what you actually pay) for the Shaker1000 is much higher than most here believe. That said, it's your money!
Old 6/12/06, 11:57 AM
GT Member

If you're having a hard time about spending $1295, then it's simple. Don't get it and roll your own cheaper.[/quote]

That's not it. It's a quality issue. There simply is none.
Old 6/12/06, 04:43 PM
FR500 Member

Ok, then go buy another car then....next
Old 6/12/06, 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Along the same lines I have an '03 with the Mach 1000...I really like it and was wondering did anyone have a Mach 1000 that traded up (to the 05+) and got the Shaker 1000? I was wondering how they compare...thanks!
Old 6/14/06, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I would also venture to say that those on this board who speak positively of the 1000 do so because it was on their vehicle when they bought it. The real answer should come from someone who made a choice to spend the $1,295 MSRP, and now has an opinion of the quality they bought. I just can't believe that there would be many satisfied customers in this group.
I ordered my 'Stang and Shaker 1000 from the factory. Like I said in my earlier post, it ain't the best, but it sure rocks for a factory stereo! No need to hassle with ill-fitting aftermarket stuff made the cost worthwhile to me.

<shrug>

But again, it's YOUR choice. Step up, pay the $$$, or go elsewhere... isn't freedom of choice grand?

Quick Reply: Shaker 1000 owners...any good?