05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 1000 or Navigation System???

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/07, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having lived with the Shaker 1000 for over a year, I say go with the Navi. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at Navi to replace my head unit. In terms of trunk space, I think the Shaker 1000 doesn't take up that much space. If I wanted trunk space and a V8, I would've ordered a Crown Vic.
Old 2/7/07, 06:29 AM
Cobra R Member

a car is the worst place to listen to music.

i am not worried about audio quality, but the nice touch screen nav system would be an excellent upgrade.
BTW aftermarket nav systems suck. the displays are soo ugly to look at. the factory ones are nice, and no one will ever beat audi MMI. although it would be nice if audi started building a car that it would be worth it to have the MMI unit in
Old 2/7/07, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered a 2007 my self but I just kept the standard Shaker 500 because I just don't have the extra 2K for the Nav. That being said if you got it get it, I will be swapping out my Shaker for the Nav when I can afford it, the 1000 is not worth the money and takes up trunk space.
Old 2/7/07, 10:29 AM
Cobra R Member

the 500 sounds sweet, but i think i might like having nav, we'll see, i just requested the hotsheets from kevin, see how much it is.

i wont post the price though he asked everyone not to, if you'd like to find out just email him
Old 2/12/07, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Another fellow NAV-owner-to-be!

When are you projected to get your car, MilStang?

Good question, still clean and unscheduled right now. The dealership is allotted 4 or more cars but have not gotten any of them in yet. Mine is number 2 as the first one was white.
Old 2/14/07, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

If you just HAVE to have both the S1000 and the NAV, it is possible.

Buy the car with the S1000 option and then get the NAV upgrade kit from Ford or clevparts.
Old 2/14/07, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

what amps and what not does the nav unit come with. cant you order both from the factory?
Old 2/14/07, 05:47 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jcthorne
If you just HAVE to have both the S1000 and the NAV, it is possible.

Buy the car with the S1000 option and then get the NAV upgrade kit from Ford or clevparts.
I'm not convinced that's going to work actually. I don't know if the NAV unit will drive the sub and/or and associated amp. That's why you can't factory order it with the Shaker 1000 amp and speaker setup.
Old 2/15/07, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

That is not the difficulty, its in the wiring harness. The Nav unit uses the S500 wiring harness. The upgrade unit available from Ford and Clevparts includes the wirning harness necessary to install the nav GPS sensor and is available programmed to drive the S1000 amps. Actually, an S500 unit COULD be programmed to do so.

You cannot order both nav and S1000 from the factory, the wiring harnesses are different. that's why its also very diffucult to retrofit an S1000 to a car that was not equipped from the factory. The nav is not as bad, being self contained except the GPS antenna which you will install for the upgrade unit.

The upgrade NAV unit is not EXACTLY the same unit that comes from the factory. Well it is, but the programming is different.
Old 2/15/07, 08:58 AM
Cobra R Member

That is not the difficulty, its in the wiring harness. The Nav unit uses the S500 wiring harness. The upgrade unit available from Ford and Clevparts includes the wirning harness necessary to install the nav GPS sensor and is available programmed to drive the S1000 amps. Actually, an S500 unit COULD be programmed to do so.

You cannot order both nav and S1000 from the factory, the wiring harnesses are different. that's why its also very diffucult to retrofit an S1000 to a car that was not equipped from the factory. The nav is not as bad, being self contained except the GPS antenna which you will install for the upgrade unit.

The upgrade NAV unit is not EXACTLY the same unit that comes from the factory. Well it is, but the programming is different.

are any of the features different with the different programming? or is it the same just defferent because of it being an "aftermarket" upgrade.
Old 2/15/07, 08:07 PM
Closet American

I stand corrected. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 2/16/07, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I have not yet installed mine. I will post more about it when I recieve the unit and get it installed. Have done a bunch of research and reading but not first hand with the unit. I assume the user features are the same. The Mustang version does not play DVDs and neither does the upgrade unit.

I would like to know if the unit will read MP3s from a DVD-R disk like the Pioneer that it is similar to. This unit is built by Pioneer for Ford. Noone seems to know for sure so I will have to try it out. There does not seem to be many users out there with these as factory options yet.
Old 2/16/07, 04:29 PM
Closet American

I have not yet installed mine. I will post more about it when I recieve the unit and get it installed. Have done a bunch of research and reading but not first hand with the unit. I assume the user features are the same. The Mustang version does not play DVDs and neither does the upgrade unit.

I would like to know if the unit will read MP3s from a DVD-R disk like the Pioneer that it is similar to. This unit is built by Pioneer for Ford. Noone seems to know for sure so I will have to try it out. There does not seem to be many users out there with these as factory options yet.
Here is the link to the actual PDF manual for the unit.
Old 2/17/07, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Unfortunatly it does not talk about DVD-r media. Many of the newer aftermarket head units, including Pioneer's do even if they do not play dvd videos which the mustang nav unit does not due to programming.