05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 1000 or Navigation System???

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/07, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 1000 or Navigation System???

So if you were going to order an '07 tomorrow, would you opt for the Shaker 1000 or the nav system and why, as both are not available together???
Old 2/1/07, 03:45 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Shaker decks have been notoriously problematic (skipping issues, etc). The NAV system is made by Pioneer, so I would expect the audio portion of the headunit alone to be superior. I believe the NAV unit is combined with the 500 watt amp, so it ought to be plenty powerful enough for most people.

The NAV unit buttons also feel more substantial, and the whole thing gives the car a more upscale, high-tech feel.

Plus you obviously get all the benefits of having an advanced, touch-screen, voice-guided NAV system.
Old 2/1/07, 04:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm not a big fan of any navigation system... I usually know where I'm going...lol. However, that being said, I have the Shaker 500 and it's fine. If you are even considering the nav system, then obviously it's something that you want, so I'd say go for it as you're not sacrificing that much by way of the Shaker 1000 If it's the standard radio vs. nav systen, then I would have to reconsider. The nav, or nag, system wasn't available when I ordered my '07 last year
Old 2/1/07, 04:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Even if you never use the Nav feature, get it for the screen. Nothing more annoying about the shaker system than only having 8 or so characters on the readout at a time when listening to Mp3's on cd.
Old 2/1/07, 06:20 AM
Cobra R Member

I think the buttons on the NAV system "overcrowd" the buttons for the hazard lights/message center/etc, compared to the Shaker system, which has the buttons mostly near the bottom of the radio. Also, $2000 is quite a hit in the wallet for something that is just a "toy".

I have used nav systems before, and they are great, especially on city roads because it tells you EXACTLY where to turn. But on major roads/highways, you can just use road signs to determine where to go. And, you can use mapquest if needed.

Also, I have the Shaker 500, and I think it has plenty of power. In fact, I think it is PERFECT...not too much bass, just enough to accentuate the music and make it sound GOOD, not LOUD.
Old 2/1/07, 10:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by profitline
So if you were going to order an '07 tomorrow, would you opt for the Shaker 1000 or the nav system and why, as both are not available together???
Well I opt'd for the Nav system when I ordered my car. I love the features, look, and if I want more power that is easy to add. It will make it easier for me to get to all those car shows I have always wanted a car to take and enter. Finally I will have a car to do that and an easy way to get there. Yes, it is a hit in the wallet but so is the car and I wanted as much from the factory from the start. It doesn't hurt that most of the people did not order the NAV system in their Shelby's either.

Old 2/1/07, 06:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Personally i can not live without my shaker 1000, it has not skipped on me once
Old 2/1/07, 07:52 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MilStang
Well I opt'd for the Nav system when I ordered my car. I love the features, look, and if I want more power that is easy to add. It will make it easier for me to get to all those car shows I have always wanted a car to take and enter. Finally I will have a car to do that and an easy way to get there. Yes, it is a hit in the wallet but so is the car and I wanted as much from the factory from the start. It doesn't hurt that most of the people did not order the NAV system in their Shelby's either.

Another fellow NAV-owner-to-be!

When are you projected to get your car, MilStang?
Old 2/1/07, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I'm not a big fan of any navigation system... I usually know where I'm going...lol. However, that being said, I have the Shaker 500 and it's fine. If you are even considering the nav system, then obviously it's something that you want, so I'd say go for it as you're not sacrificing that much by way of the Shaker 1000 If it's the standard radio vs. nav systen, then I would have to reconsider. The nav, or nag, system wasn't available when I ordered my '07 last year
Agree here, I also usually know where I'm going.

Between the 1000 and Navi...I would have to go Navi
Old 2/2/07, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Thats a "no-brainer" for me. I have to wait 4-6 weeks to get it now. I think the 2K price will just add 2K value to the car.....
Old 2/2/07, 12:28 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TinPony2
Thats a "no-brainer" for me. I have to wait 4-6 weeks to get it now. I think the 2K price will just add 2K value to the car.....
It'll certainly make the car more appealing for buyers when it comes time to sell it down the road.
Old 2/2/07, 01:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Ii am contemplating upgrading to nav. it wasnt availible when i bought my car. but it would be nice to have.

that said, shaker 500 rocks just right
Old 2/2/07, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had to choose, I'd go with the Nav system all day. Its one of the easiest to use on the market, and its very accurate. Plus, it does look really cool in the dash. The Shaker 1000 takes up too much valuable trunk space for me.
Old 2/2/07, 02:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
If I had to choose, I'd go with the Nav system all day. Its one of the easiest to use on the market, and its very accurate. Plus, it does look really cool in the dash. The Shaker 1000 takes up too much valuable trunk space for me.
def. not worth a grand to burn up that trunk space either... not imo
Old 2/2/07, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

You could order the base stereo and use the money saved for a very respectable aftermarket system.
Old 2/2/07, 05:32 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1meanZ
You could order the base stereo and use the money saved for a very respectable aftermarket system.
Problem with aftermarket is that you never know who's gonna scratch up your dash or add some bonus "rattles" once it's installed.

And no-one is gonna break into your car to get the OEM system, which frankly, is probably as good as most of the aftermarket systems anyway, and is designed to work with your car.
Old 2/3/07, 04:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I didn't realize that this was a 2K option... wow! For 2K you could get a lot of nice mods... wheels, CAI/Tune, interior/exterior appearance mods, exhaust, etc. Just like I couldn't justify $1,300 on the Shaker 1000, which basically is a 500 watt sub-woofer... not sure if I'd pay $2,000 on something I'd only use as a conversation piece But then again, I go back to what I originally said, If it's something that you want, definitely get it... or you'll regret that you didn't down the road
Old 2/3/07, 10:41 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I didn't realized that this was a 2K option... wow! For 2K you could get a lot of nice mods... wheels, CAI/Tune, interior/exterior appearance mods, exhaust, etc. Just like I couldn't justify $1,300 on the Shaker 1000, which basically is a 500 watt sub-woofer... not sure if I'd pay $2,000 on something I'd only use as a conversation piece But then again, I go back to what I originally said, If it's something that you want, definitely get it... or you'll regret that you didn't down the road
Well, if one is a gadget or technology freak, it's probably a must-have.
Old 2/3/07, 04:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
And no-one is gonna break into your car to get the OEM system, which frankly, is probably as good as most of the aftermarket systems anyway, and is designed to work with your car.
I have to disagree with that. The 8 digit 1980's Ford green display is totally whacked as are the paper speakers that Ford provides. I wont get into processing capabilities. The Shaker 500 is fine for the majority of people but when you get into $1300 - $2000 for upgrades, money is far better spent in the aftermarket IMHO. $2k is about the going rate for factory nav but $1300 for 2 125 watt 10" subs is a bit too pricy for me.
Old 2/3/07, 06:39 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1meanZ
I have to disagree with that. The 8 digit 1980's Ford green display is totally whacked as are the paper speakers that Ford provides. I wont get into processing capabilities. The Shaker 500 is fine for the majority of people but when you get into $1300 - $2000 for upgrades, money is far better spent in the aftermarket IMHO. $2k is about the going rate for factory nav but $1300 for 2 125 watt 10" subs is a bit too pricy for me.
No 1980s green displays on the Ford OEM NAV system. It's fully touch screen and is made by Pioneer. One of the better OEM systems around, from the research I've done. I've gone the aftermarket route in three of my cars over the years. Never again, particularly with the caliber of today's systems. You have to be one meticulous audiophile to notice the difference, and even then, it won't matter much if you're listening to head-banger music.

But again, that's just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Shaker 1000 or Navigation System???