05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Saleen head rest

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/12, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saleen head rest

By of you try an put the vents in the stock headrest? I can find a how to anywhere... Saleen sells the vents for 49.99 each an it includes the install guide but I found em in eBay for 19.99 so I'm going that route but I need to know how to do it
Old 5/18/12, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd have to cut a hole in the middle of the headrest. I think these only work with the Saleen headrest and I wasn't able to find them for sale online.
Old 5/18/12, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I called saleen... The saleen headrest is a stock gt head rest... They cut an put in the vents... I just need step by step instructions b4 I buy em... Don't want to get in over my head
Old 5/19/12, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Saleen also recovers the stock headrest before putting them in. I replaced my inserts and they are very simple to do, but cutting them will be a different story. My guess is the instruction sheet never existed.
Old 5/19/12, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I also bought a set of those Saleen inserts. They didn't come with the needed screws and I had no idea on how to proceed with it. I ended up buying a set of actual Saleen headrest and saved myself the pain!
Old 5/20/12, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by silversky545
I called saleen... The saleen headrest is a stock gt head rest... They cut an put in the vents... I just need step by step instructions b4 I buy em... Don't want to get in over my head
Use your online ninja shopping skills and find a used headrest to practice on. Then post how to.
Old 5/23/12, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

You might want to try a good upholstery shop and if they could figure out the upgrade, you could have several sets done and make some cash given the rarity of these parts.

As with Sean, I ended up buying a set of Saleen headrests... but they rarely show up for sale. I got lucky with mine as I happened to see a FS ad in the classifieds on another site right after it was posted and bought them immediately as I had been looking for 2 years.

Last edited by Doogie; 5/23/12 at 07:12 AM.
Old 5/27/12, 04:51 AM
Bullitt Member

It doesn't look like you can just cut a hole in the headrest. The seams on the saleen headrest run into the opening at an angle where as the seam not the stock headrests run strainght down.

I've been looking for the instructions and can't find them.

Here is a picture from some one that bought the saleen headrests and painted them red.
Old 6/1/12, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

So i just got a set of the vents from eBay as well. Just the vents, not the entire headrest. I'm going to attempt to install into my factory headrests. If I'm able to do it, I'll provide pics and a write up
Old 6/1/12, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Good luck. It looks like quite a project.
Old 9/9/12, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I was wandering if you made any progress with this project. I'd love to see how they came out.
Old 9/10/12, 05:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I got a set since they were so cheap , but I haven't taken them to my upholstery shop yet. I'll post when I do ...
Old 3/24/13, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

has any one ever succeeded in this mod? I'd love to see pictures.
Old 3/25/13, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by odiaz
has any one ever succeeded in this mod? I'd love to see pictures.
I've got a buddy who bought the kit from Saleen and took it to a local interior place. Came out great and it costed him 120 total.
Old 4/8/13, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

can anyone who has installed these saleen vents in their stock headrests please post some pictures. I'd love to see how they came out.
Old 8/30/14, 09:57 PM

Anyone?
Old 9/25/14, 05:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I just bought a used set of leather headrests (25 shipped to me) so it is worth the effort, and just for this challenge. Also to answer our questions about installation that no one seems to of answered.

There is a one major problem I found right away. The metal frame top support for the head rest, does a looping pattern from side to side, with the rod being right in the middle of where the vent goes. It has to be cut out, if you have any thoughts of installing these vents. You might get by painting the support and cutting the vents, but that would be absolutely hideous.

The head rest frame is not made rectangular like the Saleen head rests, so Saleen has their own particular head rests made to their specifications. There is no way they would cut a structural/safety support for a vent. They would just have it manufactured the correct way.

It is hard to describe without pictures but I did take a lot of them to show how it looks. I will have to upload them if anyone requests them.

The center has to be cut with a metal cutting wheel and hand grinder. The bottom legs are welded to a cross bar
on the bottom of the headrest where the two support rods attach. With the balance of the foam surrounding the rods, the leather cover also around them, and the two rods in the seat back, it might not be too bad. (I don't know if a hacksaw would cut these cuts or not, so a grinder would be your best bet, if you should try doing this yourself).

I'll know by the weekend if this is a doable project. If not, then I'll keep the second headrest for a spare and throw away the one I'm attempting to use/modify. I have a question about the safety aspect of this, but only trying it will tell me if I'll feel safe doing this. My head rides at the bottom-ish portion of the headrest, so with my adjustments, it probably wouldn't hurt much. This week/weekend will tell.

If anyone is interested in this mod, post up and if enough want more details, maybe I'll do a write up, IF it turns out to be a doable project only.

Last edited by akdoggie; 9/25/14 at 05:14 AM.
Old 9/25/14, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I've got a set too, just haven't done anything with them. Good info though, I didn't realize how much would be involved.
Old 9/25/14, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here are a couple pictures showing the underside of the head rests. You can clearly see the metal support assembly rod. This has to be removed if there is any possibilities of using the Saleen vent inserts.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Attached Thumbnails Saleen head rest-dsc02462.jpg   Saleen head rest-dsc02453.jpg   Saleen head rest-dsc02463.jpg  
Old 9/25/14, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, it can be done, but you have to make sure you trim enough of the center bar out, to give you clearance for the vent to clear on each side.

Here is a picture of my first attempt at doing this project. I still have to retighten the leather, but with it sitting this way overnight, it should shape itself enough to pull out the little imperfections. If i had another set of hands, I could of done it tighter the first time, but since I didn't, I'll just finish it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Saleen head rest-dsc02477.jpg   Saleen head rest-dsc02478.jpg  

Quick Reply: Saleen head rest