05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replacing the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/04, 10:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I did not get the interior upgrade package so I just ordered the leather wrapped steering wheel. Is replacing the steering wheel a simple task? I haven't really studied it yet but does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel? I see 2 little plugs with bolts behind them, is that all there is to it?
Old 11/28/04, 01:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
No, you also have to drain the electrical system so as to not accidentally let the airbag go BANG when you remove it. I think maybe you want to disconnect the battery, wait a VERY long time, and then also, just to be sure, disconnect the sensors up front.

And then, once you remove those screws, you'll find they hold the cover for the center of the wheel. You then get to remove two more bolts from the center area, and then use a steering wheel puller (most likely) to get the wheel off the car.

Being careful about it, as they use a little something called a 'clockspring', which is more descriptive of how it would look inside rather than what it does. It's the wiring device that allows the wheel buttons to work, make the airbag go off, and let the car honk. I'm unsure exactly how it attaches, but you could snap it in some way and need a new one.

Um, why ya need to remove the wheel?... Oh, I see, you already got yours and you need to swap it. Got it. Yeah, it's not hard. Airbag is your biggest concern, and probably the puller thing is the weirdest tool you got to use. AutoZone will rent ya one, or some other auto parts store could as well. I dont' think they're that expensive.

Heck I bet the dealer could do it in 10 minutes and $50 bucks. Or whatever they charge. Maybe talk to a guy in the back and have him do it in trade for lunch or something?

Hey it does happen! Don't laugh at me!
Old 11/28/04, 02:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought replacing a steering wheel w/airbag was illegal. I'm probably wrong - if someone knows, say so. If it is legal, I'd also want to know it doesn't void any part of the warranty.

Like I said, I don't know this stuff, but I figured I'd mention my concern.
Old 11/28/04, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like he bought a Factory Leather Wrapped Wheel. He will transfer the airbag & trim from original wheel. By the way, what did the Leather Wheel cost you ??
Old 11/28/04, 07:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was going to disconnect the battery but I never would have waited a long time. I'll definitely fork over the money to have this done, why does it have to be so complicated? oh well....

The dealer sold the wheel to me at employee discount which was $130, the wheel is normally $190. If you haven't gotten your car yet, the IUP Lite is definitely worth it. You get the leather wrapped wheel and the leather wrapped shift **** for $195 (I think). I tried talking the dealer into giving me the wheel and shift **** for that price but they wouldnt go for it so I just got the wheel.
Old 11/28/04, 08:39 AM
FR500 Member

Those darn airbag's have made steering wheel upgrades a P.I.T.A. It used to be easy!
Old 11/28/04, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

There is no need to wait, after the battery is disconected you are fine to proceed. I have done it four times. What would make the 05 any different? No need to disconected the sensors, the battery is the power source. What is going to hit them anyway? Sounds like over kill to me.
Old 11/28/04, 12:11 PM
GT Member

I've done this on a Civic. To be safe, in addition to disconnecting the battery you can pull the airbag fuse.
Old 11/28/04, 01:52 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the non-leather wheel really that bad?
I haven't seen/felt one.

Jason
Old 11/28/04, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You DON'T just disconect the battery. You have to wait for 30 minutes after disconecting the battery, this is dealer recomended. The "brain box" for the airbag holds a voltage for some time, via a capacitor I would imagine. This is so in the event of a crash and the battery gets severed, there is still power to deploy the bags if needed. I installed airbags in my 2000GT, very easy to do, just do it correctly. If done improperly, you could injure or kill youself.

Airbags are not something to be taken lightly. Respect them for the energy they can release.

There should be 2 plastic cover plugs, remove them and then the bolts that are underneath. The center hub "airbag" will come off just by pulling easily. Just unplug and you are done. The wires for the horn and cruise control are just plugs too. After that, it is just like removing a conventional steering wheel.

Installation is the reverse. Just remember to have that battery disconected when plugging the airbag back in. Also, once completed, lie on the floor with the door open and reach up to turn the key on, just incase the airbag deploys you are well out of the way. Very, very unlikely this would happen, but better safe than sorry!
Old 11/28/04, 03:58 PM
FR500 Member

i wanna see where u can order that steering wheel....even tho im gonna have one in my GT i was just curious cuz i didnt know u can order one. id hang it on my wall
Old 11/28/04, 03:59 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@November 28, 2004, 2:55 PM
I haven't seen/felt one.

Jason
ohh god its horrible. i hate it. its like plastic and just EWW. but the leather wrapped is heaven
Old 11/28/04, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

You got a good deal. There is a complete steering wheel on Ebay bidding is at $255. Maybe they don't know what its worth?
Old 11/28/04, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by StangNut@November 28, 2004, 2:55 PM
I haven't seen/felt one.

Jason
What RaGsHoCkEy88 said, it's not very friendly, its just hard and blah. I did get used to it but there is no comparison, the leather wrapped wheel is soo much smoother, softer, and nicer.

RaGsHoCkEy88,
I ordered it straight from the parts center at my dealer.
Old 11/28/04, 09:15 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
For anyone who has it and doesn't want to fork out the money, there's a steering wheel cover out there that just slips on, has good cushioning, and makes the wheel thicker. (which I know a lot of people liked with the FR500 wheel)
I put one on my car just to protect the leather, but now I loce the thickness. It's only about $10 and you can get them plain/black (like mine) or with several designs. I'm sure you've seen them at WalMart, target, and auto parts stores. Give it a try.

Jason
Old 3/9/06, 07:51 AM

I have a question along the lines of this topic. I have a 2003 Mustang GT and was looking at replacing the stock steering wheel with the steering wheel from a 2005. It requires a new wheel and airbag, but are there other concerns involved with this change that may prevent me from doing this?

I agree with SixtySix..this used to be an easy change/upgrade!

Thanks for any input :-)

Only 16 days until Spring (March 25th - the day I get the Mustang out of my Mom's garage for another year) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Ron
Old 3/9/06, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered my IUP steering wheel from Kevin (05stangkc) for $200 I believe. Then I just took it to the Ford dealership and had them install it and they only charged like $35 or so.