05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replacing Shaker 500 door subs...Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/08, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Shaker 500 door subs...Is it worth it?

I've been thinking about replacing my Shaker 500 door subs. I already have an aftermarket head unit. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. I've thought about replacing them with midbass speakers to go along with a 3 way component setup or using the Pioneer shallow-mount subs. Which do you guys think would be the best option? Keep in mind also I plan on putting a 12" sub in the trunk.

Thanks
Old 1/22/08, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

In your PM you didn't mention a sub. If that is the case, then it IS worth it to replace the door woofers with some high efficiency midbasses, but only if you're using aftermarket amplification. The small amps that come with it will only do 10-12 watts at 4 ohm, which most good midbasses will be- if not 8 ohm. The Kicker SSMB's drop right in and work very well in that application. Give them a high-pass crossover and up to 250 watts RMS. They get loud as all hell. Cadence also markets one (it's an Eminence pro sound driver, but it's cheaper through Cadence. The Pioneers supposedly go right in, but were lacking IMO. CDT EF8's work VERY well, and just need a slight bit of modification to go in, but they will not get as loud as the Kickers even on their best day. They do sound nice, though.
Old 1/22/08, 06:50 PM

Yeah.. you "can't" use the factory door sub amps with aftermarket door subs.

Infinity: Are you familiar with the Rockford Fosgate P18S4's? I've seen a few people on this forum with them and it looks like it's just a minor shaving/melting of a little plastic to make it fit. I'm curious what others think about this sub, because that's what I'll currently planning on upgrading to.
Old 1/22/08, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Yes you can use the factory subs with aftermarket amps. In fact, that's how I had mine for a long time. You either need a 1 ohm stable amp, or you have to rewire the dual 2 ohm voice coils for 4 ohm (what I did). I suggest running new wire to the either way as you DON'T want to tap the wires in the kickpanels the way I did. Putting the factory stuff back almost forced me into siezures and fits of rage.

Also, if you're going to do minor shaving and melting, I'd suggest the CDT EF8
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3340

or the MTX 4500
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2162

or the Pioneer shallow
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-SW841D.html

I just haven't cared for Rockford's subwoofers since they went offshore with them. Those plasticky newer ones sound awful.
Old 1/22/08, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I agree, you CAN use an aftermarket AMP with the factory SUBS. I was recommending against using an aftermarket SUB with the factory AMP (you "can't" use the factory door sub amps with aftermarket door subs.)

That pioneer seems like it would be awesome. I see somewhere else that the mounting depth is only 2.5"? (vs the punch's 4.1" which allegedly only required "minor" melting?)

Does this still require modification? Is it the unusual dimensions (large diameter throughout entire speaker)?

Good find..
Old 1/23/08, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

The mounting depth is a smidge over 3.5", but the width at that point is the problem. Think of teh enclosure as shaped kind of like a funnel- tapering to the rear. That's the biggest problem.

Oh, the factory amps work fine with aftermarket subs. I hooked a 4 ohm kicker to mine for a whopping 12 watts
Old 1/23/08, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Infinity
Oh, the factory amps work fine with aftermarket subs. I hooked a 4 ohm kicker to mine for a whopping 12 watts
Yeah, yeah, I used "can't" in quotes to really mean "you can do it, but there is no point."

BTW - amazon says the mounting depth is only 2.5"... http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Premie.../dp/B000TD900O
Old 1/24/08, 06:12 AM
Cobra Member

Oh, I meant the enclosure. Yeah, the Pioneers are shallow.
Old 2/5/08, 03:30 PM
V6 Member

The mounting depth is a smidge over 3.5", but the width at that point is the problem. Think of teh enclosure as shaped kind of like a funnel- tapering to the rear. That's the biggest problem.
How much does it taper down? Dynaudio makes an 8" midbass that's about 3" deep, and about 4.5" across the back of the magnet. Do you think it would fit?
Old 2/5/08, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Not directly, and there really isn't enough airspace for the Dyn's- they work better in an Infinite Baffle situation.
Old 2/5/08, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I feel like since I put my avic-d3 in, mine seem very stressed, although there is no new amp on them. i have the bass ratcheted down to almost zero. You think that new ones would give a tighter sound and be able to handle being louder without diminished quality?
Old 2/5/08, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I upgraded to pioneer 3-ways all around with a set of RF PS1's in the door driven by an infinity 6-channel. after dynamatting the crap outta the doors, im very pleased with the sound and this is coming from someone who had two tens in his last car. i'll probably be adding more sound deadening in the future though. (spray perhaps? suggestions?)
Old 2/6/08, 04:50 AM
V6 Member

Not directly, and there really isn't enough airspace for the Dyn's- they work better in an Infinite Baffle situation.
Can I just cut the back of the enclosure out and make it IB? It looks like there's a mounting screw there, but I assume no aftermarket speaker uses that anyway.
Old 2/6/08, 06:23 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SStang
Can I just cut the back of the enclosure out and make it IB? It looks like there's a mounting screw there, but I assume no aftermarket speaker uses that anyway.
Yes, you can, but it won't be quite that simple. You'll need to seal ALL the access holes using some thin aluminum or plexi or something. I usually silicone them over the holes. Then, a layer or 6 of good sound deadener is a must. The mounting screw would only be used by the factory driver. It is a 10mm, BTW.
Old 2/6/08, 08:31 AM
GT Member

i used JLaudio 8w0's - great if you dont have subs. I made a 3/4 in baffle to get them to fit and it was still snug.

I wanted more midbass - so i got the Kicker ss8's. WOW, they sound great, not as bassy as the JL's, but cleaner and better above 120hz than the jl's