05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replacement Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/05, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the shaker 500 the rear deck speakers only produce low end sound and no highs.

Crutchfield claimed that any replacement speaker will do the same......

I have to argue that point. I just put in the 6x8 Kenwood eXcelon 2-way speakers and they are producing a full range of sound. I think that it was just the factory speakers that didn't put out the highs.

I ran out of time and wasn't able to get the other set of 6x8's put into the doors. I'll report back when all is complete.
Old 1/11/05, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

I was wondering the same thing. I want to upgrade the rear deck ones as well..Let us know how well it works and if there is a significant sound improvement
Old 1/12/05, 01:29 AM

TKEUofM,
How hard was it to remove the old speakers? And did the new ones just bolt in?
Old 1/12/05, 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Rear deck replacement wasn't too hard. but the screws come out from the top of the rear deck, and let me tell you, there isn't that much room back there with the way the window slants down.

You will need one of those "snake" screwdrivers or there is no way you will get them out. Other than that, Crutchfield provided the wiring harness adaptors so it was an easy click into place for that.

I will probably do the front door speakers tonight or tomorrow.

But the good news is that you can get the high end sounds out of the rear deck with a nice set of replacements.

Old 1/13/05, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Did you do it yet ryan? What speakers did you put in the front? how did they sound with the subs in the door down low?
Old 2/13/05, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just purchased a pair of Alpine SPR-57LP for the rear deck. Has anyone else installed these yet? Purchased them for $141.99. Will be combined with a Shaker 1000.
Old 2/14/05, 01:56 AM
V6 Member

For the money I think Alpine is tops. I installed a pair of Alpine SPS-570A for the rear deck and door and they sound great. Although I'm running an Alpine deck, I'm sure the Shaker deck will be more then enough to power them and make them sound good.
Old 2/15/05, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

would anyone suggest changing out the speakers on a stock cd player?
Old 2/15/05, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@February 15, 2005, 4:47 PM
would anyone suggest changing out the speakers on a stock cd player?
I would say changing out the speakers is MORE of a necessity with the stock CD player than with the Shaker systems.

I have to say that I haven't heard the stock system on an '05 yet, but my experience is that any stock (read standard) stereo I've ever heard can be noticeably improved by swapping out the speakers.

First mod I did to my '95 GT was to immediately replace the 4 factory 5x7 "premium" speakers with a set of Polks. Got 'em from crutchfield, so they included step-by-step instructions and wiring harnesses. HUGE difference in sound.
Old 2/15/05, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've listened to the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 extensively. And poked my head around and looked at the speakers I could see. Plus I've looked at pics of speakers that were removed from other peoples 05's for upgrade. My conclusions? The factory speakers are GARBAGE!

I know, that's harse. But it's also true. Little magnets, crappy paper cones, lightweight baskets. Any way you cut it, the factory speakers are NOT up to par. Good (heck, even decent!) aftermarket speakers will make a big difference in the sound quality of this car. I agree completely with wjones14. Step one is to yank the factory speakers and THEN worry about the head unit and the factory amps.
Old 2/17/05, 12:03 AM
Cobra Member

I really dont want to change out the head unit though. I hate how car makers have to make their units soo big that when you go to replace them nothing fits and you have to purchase a "kit" and end up with a "hole" that doesnt blend in well with the interior look.....so if changing the speakers will help with the sound I may end up doing that.
Old 2/17/05, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 15, 2005, 11:15 PM
I've listened to the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 extensively. And poked my head around and looked at the speakers I could see. Plus I've looked at pics of speakers that were removed from other peoples 05's for upgrade. My conclusions? The factory speakers are GARBAGE!

I know, that's harse. But it's also true. Little magnets, crappy paper cones, lightweight baskets. Any way you cut it, the factory speakers are NOT up to par. Good (heck, even decent!) aftermarket speakers will make a big difference in the sound quality of this car. I agree completely with wjones14. Step one is to yank the factory speakers and THEN worry about the head unit and the factory amps.
RRRoamer, are you saying the Shaker speakers are garbage? They're paper cones? If so, that's ridiculous...

So are there 4 5x7 speakers total (2 in doors and 2 in rear deck) plus the subs? Has anyone just replaced the 5x7s and kept the stock sub speakers? Big improvement in sound?

I'm wondering if I've got the door panels off anyway to replace the 5x7s, should I replace the subwoofers as well?
Old 2/17/05, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

wjones14,

They sure looked like paper to me. I didn't spend a whole lot of time studing the details of the speakers I have seen. It is real clear to me they are NOT up to par. I was VERY surprised by how cheap the speakers were on what is basically a good system (ok, WAY overrated power wise, but a nice 6 disk changer mp3 player along with actual external amps to drive the speakers). The speakers just did NOT hold up to that standard in any way.

I thought the car had these speakers:

1) 2 6x8 plate speakers in the front doors.
2) 2 8" subs in the front doors.
3) 2 5x7 plate speakers in the rear side panels
4) 2 6x9 speakers in the rear deck
5) (Shaker1000 only) 2 10" subs in the trunk

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I spent a good amount of time doing some side by side listening tests between my 81 F100 (with Kenwood 919Z headunit, Phoenix Gold Octane R 8:0:4 74w RMS x 4 amp driving a pair of Polk Audio MMC6500 6 1/2" component speakers bi-amped along with a pair of 8" Boston Accustic subs in sealed inclusures behind the seats powered by an old 200w RMS (maybe) Kenwood amp that I've had forever) and both Shaker 1000 cars and Shaker 500 cars. Conclusions?

1) The sound system in my truck kicks the dog out of the Shaker 500. Hands down. The clarity and sound quality is WAY better than the S500. Plays cleaner at louder volumes. Has much, MUCH better sound imaging (even with the rear speakers turned off). The bass is a bit better in my truck, but I bet most of that has to do with the small cab as I REALLY need a better amp on my truck's subs! All in all, my truck just sounds much better. And yes, it plays mp3 just fine and has for the last 5 years or so.

2) All of the above applies to the Shaker 1000 as well. Except the Shaker 1000 DOES have much better bass in the bottom octaves. But my truck STILL sounds better over all.

So, in the long term, all of the stock speakers are coming out. The first to go will be the factory 8" subs (JL Audio 8W3V2's going to replace them) and the front speakers (by either the Polk Audio MMC6500 or the MMC5250 (depending on fitting issues)). Step two will be to build a custom box to fit a JL Audio 12W6V2 sub in the truck along with a Phoenix Gold Xenon X400.1 or X600.1 (that's 400 or 600 watts RMS...). Step three involves stepping up the amps to the front speaks and subs. Probably with a Phoenix Gold Xenon 400.2 amp to drive the front subs and a Phoenix Gold (Yes, I am VERY happy with the Phoenix Gold amps I currently have!) Xenon X400.4 or Octane R 8:0:4 (I'd like to keep the amps matched, but the 75w x 4 output of the Octane R amp is MORE than capable of driving the Polk speakers perfectly). Step four will be to replace the rear speakers with Polk Audio MMC6500 and/or MMC5250 speakers. Step five involves getting yet one more Phoenix Gold Xenon X400.4 amp to drive the 4 Polk Audio speakers in the rear. But it won't be biamped like the front, so I want the 100W RMS of the Xenon instead of the 75W RMS of the Octane R amp. FINALLY, I want to replace the stock head unit with a Kenwood DX7015 with navigation unit.

Of course, the real pain is that I have NO idea how long it will take to get the interior up to speed. I have a feeling that performance and handling upgrades will definitely stink up more of the "free" cash faster than I expect...

So, should you replace your plate speakers while you have the door panels off? That's up to you. I think you will notice improved sound if you do. But if you are not picky about sound, the the stock Shaker systems DO sound pretty good! For a factory system...
Old 2/19/05, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 17, 2005, 9:11 PM
wjones14,

So, should you replace your plate speakers while you have the door panels off? That's up to you. I think you will notice improved sound if you do. But if you are not picky about sound, the the stock Shaker systems DO sound pretty good! For a factory system...
This info is amazingly hard to find. :scratch: However, from what I did find, it seems that there are NOT 5x7 plate speakers in the rear side panels. The Ford literature claims 8 speakers (Shaker 500) and 10 for the Shaker 1000. This is how they count them:

1) 5x7 plate speakers in each door, each having a midrange and tweeter (counts as 4 speakers)

2) 8" subwoofer in each door (counts as 2 speakers)

3) 5x7 speakers in rear deck (counts as 2 speakers)

4) subwoofers in trunk - Shaker 1000 (counts as 2 speakers)

Can someone who's actually replaced the speakers please verify this? Pictures of the factory speakers with the door panels off would be greatly appreciated! :worship:
Old 2/20/05, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wjones14+February 19, 2005, 11:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ February 19, 2005, 11:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RRRoamer@February 17, 2005, 9:11 PM
wjones14,

This info is amazingly hard to find. :scratch: However, from what I did find, it seems that there are NOT 5x7 plate speakers in the rear side panels. The Ford literature claims 8 speakers (Shaker 500) and 10 for the Shaker 1000. This is how they count them:

1) 5x7 plate speakers in each door, each having a midrange and tweeter (counts as 4 speakers)

2) 8" subwoofer in each door (counts as 2 speakers)

3) 5x7 speakers in rear deck (counts as 2 speakers)

4) subwoofers in trunk - Shaker 1000 (counts as 2 speakers)

Can someone who's actually replaced the speakers please verify this? Pictures of the factory speakers with the door panels off would be greatly appreciated! :worship:
[/b][/quote]

Bill you are correct as to how Ford counts the speakers - and I can verify there are no speakers at all in the rear quarter panels - I've had both of mine off. Also, the factory speakers are generally junk - my '01 LS Sport had the Alpine "Audiophile" system (6 CD indash/factory subs, etc.) and when I replaced the stock speakers with the Infinity Kappa's - I was amazed at how crappy they were - on a $45K car with an "Audiophile" sound system - they were cheap paper cones, small magnets, etc......you can get these very same speakers via the net for $4.00 each.......I added the Kappa speakers all around and added a 4 channel amp and the sound was MUCH better than stock - but just changing out the speakers was a good start!
Old 2/28/05, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by TKEUofM@January 11, 2005, 10:49 PM
With the shaker 500 the rear deck speakers only produce low end sound and no highs.

Crutchfield claimed that any replacement speaker will do the same......

I have to argue that point. I just put in the 6x8 Kenwood eXcelon 2-way speakers and they are producing a full range of sound. I think that it was just the factory speakers that didn't put out the highs.

I ran out of time and wasn't able to get the other set of 6x8's put into the doors. I'll report back when all is complete.
Has this been verified by someone else?
Old 3/6/05, 09:38 PM

Has anyone else got confirmation that replacement speakers in the back get the full range of sounds?
Old 3/6/05, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can verify that swapping out the rears is worth the money, I added a set of JL audio speakers in the rear and am very happy with the upgrade (you do get the full range).
I also put a set in the doors not as big a bang for the money but still worth it.
I plan to upgrade the head unit someday but replacing the two sets of speakers makes me live with it for now.
Old 3/6/05, 11:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Gordon, What model of JL Audio speakers did you put in? I am considering doing the same but the shop I use has not had a new Mustang in yet. Thanks in advance. Ah nevermind, I just saw it in your sig! Guess I should read it first.
Old 3/7/05, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by FordRacing@March 7, 2005, 1:05 AM
I can verify that swapping out the rears is worth the money, I added a set of JL audio speakers in the rear and am very happy with the upgrade (you do get the full range).
I also put a set in the doors not as big a bang for the money but still worth it.
I plan to upgrade the head unit someday but replacing the two sets of speakers makes me live with it for now.
Excellent, and they are the easier to replace, right?

Quick Reply: Replacement Speakers