05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replaced 06 Shaker 500 with 09 model year Shaker

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/14, 09:58 AM
Legacy Supercharged Tms Member

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Replaced 06 Shaker 500 with 09 model year Shaker

I got a 2009 Shaker 500 from a buddy and changed out the stock Shaker in my 2006 GT. The sound doesn’t seem as deep as my old one. As a matter of fact it sounds ‘tinney’ and a bit lifeless like there’s not enough bass or subwoofer. Does anyone know if that is normal or was there a change in the wiring harness or electronics between 2006 and 2009 that has to be corrected or reprogrammed? I intend to keep a Shaker because I like the stock look but if the 2009 sound quality is mediocre then I’ll stay with my original head unit.

I’m not an audiophile at all, so if I’m missing something, like a setting in the Shaker, I’d appreciate any worthwhile advice. And no, I’d don’t want to get an aftermarket HU.
Old 4/11/14, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The 09 you bought has the chrome rings around the top two *****, correct? Are there two sets of words on the left button or no white lettering at all? If there is white lettering, it could be the newer version (like the Navi heads changed in late 09 models). Do you have the 4 sets of back plugs, or the normal 3 like the older Shaker?
Old 4/11/14, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
The 09 you bought has the chrome rings around the top two *****, correct? Are there two sets of words on the left button or no white lettering at all? If there is white lettering, it could be the newer version (like the Navi heads changed in late 09 models). Do you have the 4 sets of back plugs, or the normal 3 like the older Shaker?

Yes, it has the chrome rings. I'm not sure what you mean about the left button but it only has the 3 back plugs like the older Shaker. I posted my problem on another forum and one member mentioned that in 09 Ford changed the speakers and that the EQ was all wrong for the 06 system. I'm in for a challenge, if I were to keep the HU, do you have any idea what it would take to balance the system? Thanks.
Old 4/11/14, 11:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes. Ford did a Job 1 and Job 2 on the Mustang's as far as the audio system. Job 2 had the chrome *****, and 3 wire plugs in the rear. The later 09's switch again and had 4 plugs in the back for the premium radios.

What I was meaning by the ***** is the chrome ***** on top. Do they have white wording or just the black "load" inlay on the left one? You may have the very situation you are describing, using a different programmed head. It may not have the amps hooked for your wiring application, the correct way for your car. If this is so, you would have to go back to the black knobbed head, or a chrome ring with the #8 as the first number of the part number. If you already have this, then I would double check my connections and see if you have possibly a ground problem.
Old 4/12/14, 08:05 AM

akdoggie, thank you for the info. I think I understand. The **** has white lettering and the head is a 9RST-18C815-AA so it looks like it will not work in my application. Too bad because everything else works perfectly and I like the stock look. Would there possibly be a Job 2 harness or adapter that corrects this issue? If not then I guess I'll just eBay the unit.
Old 4/12/14, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's what I thought. You are trying to use a head that doesn't conform to our Mustang's. The 9R5T-*A are the final design on that model Shaker heads. It is NOT compatible with our Mustang's, according to the wiring schematic. You would need an 8_ head to have the chrome rings and the internal amp, which you are missing in the 9R5Z head. The 7_ back all have the black facing without the chrome rings. Some of the early Job 1 radios came with the 8 prefix, and would still have the black rings, so you have to be careful with Job1 and Job2 radios. Job1=no chrome. Job2=chrome. Easiest way I know how to check from the front. Why did you change out the heads anyways? Did you want the chrome trim? Bad old head? Just curious. Good luck with you radio.

Last edited by akdoggie; 5/13/14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 4/12/14, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
.....Why did you change out the heads anyways? Did you want the chrome trim? Bad old head? Just curious. Good luck with you radio.

Yes, on both counts. I like my car with the stock look and my old head is starting to skip. I like the way the chrome trim fits with the interior but not having it is not a show stopper for me. I guess I'll have to get a Job 1 head that's still in good shape. I know that an aftermarket head would be the way to go but.... Anyway, thanks for all your help and if you hear about any work arounds for this issue, I'd like to explore the possibilities.