The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Interior and Audio Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/)
-   -   Raising passenger seat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/raising-passenger-seat-434862/)

ARBO 5/18/06 05:47 PM

Raising passenger seat

Hey, is this possible to do? Hard or easy? My wife sits too low in the passenger seat and we'd like to raise it up.

Enyo 5/18/06 05:57 PM

I've seen this discussed on other sites and as of yet no one has chimed in with a response. I'd like to know too. My wife is rather short herself and hates sitting so low. That and my daughter would really like to see over the dash when she rides up front.

tkogt 5/18/06 06:06 PM

you could do it by installing spacers under the seat mounts

as long as you dont unplug the wireing to the seat sensors you wont have to
have the air bag system reset.

i wouldnt go more than an inch or so because of the leverage thing that happens. (the seat may break away in an accident)

or you could just keep a nice cushion in the trunk for when the short folks go for a ride.

jay

TombStone 5/19/06 08:29 AM

It would be easier (but more expensive) to just find a taller wife. :jester:

Enyo 5/19/06 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by tkogt
you could do it by installing spacers under the seat mounts

Originally Posted by tkogt
i wouldnt go more than an inch or so because of the leverage thing that happens. (the seat may break away in an accident)

Discussed on the other forums as well, but there is that whole accident thing isn't there? That would be my worry about just putting spacers under there.

ARBO 5/19/06 04:01 PM

On the wife thing, been there done that. This one is a keeper!

If it's been discussed on other forms, has there been a "safe" way to do this. I do not want to compromise anybodies safety in the passenger seat. Heck, you never know, I may let the wife drive some day and then the passenger would be me!

Enyo 5/19/06 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ARBO
On the wife thing, been there done that. This one is a keeper!

Ditto.

Dineau 5/19/06 06:50 PM

2007 will have electric adjustable passenger seats, so I guess we could use this hardware ?

Import-Slaya 5/19/06 07:10 PM

I've thought about doing this, too. I'm not sure raising the seat will be much of an issue in an accident.

True, the mass of the actual seat will now be exerting more force on the mounting points due to being spaced slightly higher.

However, the important mass is that of the actual person sitting in the seat--and that person is retained by the seat belts which are bolted to mount points independent of the seat. Doesn't matter that the person is sitting higher, the seatbelt will still do the same job, with the same effective force acting on it.

I guess the questions become: 1) whether that 40 or so pound seat will break loose; and 2) does it really even matter if it does break loose, since the seatbelt will *still* restrain that as well.

I guess another way to look at it is that the driver seat has several inches of height adjustment. It seems like as long as your spacer design is something like square or rectangular tube (instead of a solid block and a longer bolt), you could still use the stock bolts and there shouldn't be an issue.

Enyo 5/19/06 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dineau
2007 will have electric adjustable passenger seats, so I guess we could use this hardware ?

Wonder if there will be a kit to convert our existing seats....

Badsnke98 5/19/06 10:12 PM

I'm hopeing sometype of conversion works with the O7 power passenger seat parts. I want my passenger to be powered bigtime! I'm sure "Kevin" will provide answers and costs on that issue soon. We do know enough people will be interested.

mrkabc 5/28/06 11:14 AM

Me tooooooo!!!!

My passengers complain that they are sitting in a well. Don't want to go the spacer route - that seems like it would compromise safety.

Standing by on news of retrofit kit.... hopefully not too expensive....

clintoris 5/31/06 03:48 PM

yeah, my though was to hope that '07 seats look the same and just put one of those in.... I have side airbags, so that's gonna be a bit more pricey. But, if a retrofit kit comes out, I'll be all over it. My wife certainly likes driving a lot better than riding in it.... and that scares me.

Tedz Pony 7/29/06 10:25 AM

Waiting here too. She loves the car, but not iding in it.

clintoris 7/31/06 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tedz Pony
Waiting here too. She loves the car, but not iding in it.

I have '07 passenger power seat part numbers... for the seat track, etc. to do the conversion. I don't know a thing about the airbags, though... as far as how to deactivate them, if you have them. But, you don't wanna be monkeyin' around without properly shutting them off. I believe it's just a fuse that needs to be pulled. Then, of course, using caution not to accidentally discharge the airbag is always prudent.... safety glasses and a football helmet might also be prudent.

seat track........7R3Z-6361710-A....... $449.42
switch.........1L2Z-14A701-AA........$40.08
shield/bezzel....7R3Z-6362186-BA.....$55.57
wire harness.....7R3Z-14A699-DA......price not listed yet.

These are the retail prices. I have a friend that took the time to look these up for me, and he'll know what you're talkin' about if you wanna order through him. I figure I would throw him a bone since he's been good to me over the years. He works for a dealer in Colorado, but he'll ship the parts free. He can be reached at 303.794.4343. Ask for Matt Smith in the Parts Dept.

*** NOTE: Air bags can be dangerous and should be worked on by a qualified individual. Work at your own risk. ***

Cowtown 7/31/06 01:49 PM

So with those parts you could concievably just swap out the under bits and retain the same physical seat?

clintoris 7/31/06 02:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cowtown
So with those parts you could concievably just swap out the under bits and retain the same physical seat?

Yes. All other parts in the seat have the same part number. Except the seat cusion for heated seats. But, the non heated power seats have the same part numbers since '05.

And here's the exploded views.... might help with the swap out.

Farsyte 8/1/06 12:34 PM

just get her a pillow to sit on! hahaha
girls that get into the stang do'nt really have a problem sitting low, they're just thankful to be in the stang...allelluya brothers!

i'm kidding, ya my girlfriend always argues that she sits too low, i hope the 2009 model will have higher passenger seats

Mongoose 9/21/06 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by clintoris (Post 708865)
I have '07 passenger power seat part numbers... for the seat track, etc. to do the conversion. I don't know a thing about the airbags, though... as far as how to deactivate them, if you have them. But, you don't wanna be monkeyin' around without properly shutting them off. I believe it's just a fuse that needs to be pulled. Then, of course, using caution not to accidentally discharge the airbag is always prudent.... safety glasses and a football helmet might also be prudent.

seat track........7R3Z-6361710-A....... $449.42
switch.........1L2Z-14A701-AA........$40.08
shield/bezzel....7R3Z-6362186-BA.....$55.57
wire harness.....7R3Z-14A699-DA......price not listed yet.

These are the retail prices. I have a friend that took the time to look these up for me, and he'll know what you're talkin' about if you wanna order through him. I figure I would throw him a bone since he's been good to me over the years. He works for a dealer in Colorado, but he'll ship the parts free. He can be reached at 303.794.4343. Ask for Matt Smith in the Parts Dept.

*** NOTE: Air bags can be dangerous and should be worked on by a qualified individual. Work at your own risk. ***

How do you power the seat??

sodaman 9/21/06 11:52 PM

with the wiring harness I am guessing is how you power it. Question that the parts guy needs to address is, will that harness plug right up to existing harness for seats now. If not thats a whole nother bag of beans, which means probably wont work unless it does. Cost prohibitive if harness wont plug up to 05 and 06 cars. Also are you sure these are the only parts needed?