05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Radio reception gurus – your opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/16, 11:36 AM
Legacy Supercharged Tms Member

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Radio reception gurus – your opinions please

Several years ago I had my radio antenna removed and the hole welded. At the time I rarely listened to AM/FM so I made do with the reception I got from typical hidden antennas. Lately though, I’ve been doing a lot of interstate travel in my Mustang and I like listening to local FM, just for S&Gs. The reception is always crappy and I’ve tried several different types of hidden antennae. All of them suck.

Anyway, I found these two rear defogger solutions and I know there are a lot of members on this forum who have expertise and/or experience that is helpful. Will either of these work - or a hybrid/ variation - on our Mustangs? If at all possible, I would like to have the defogger continue to work.

Thanks for any help and if its not a viable solution, that’s okay too.

http://www.ek9.org/index.php?threads...antenna.31048/

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184820

Last edited by RedFire281; 4/12/16 at 11:57 AM.
Old 4/20/16, 03:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Here's an idea. How about going with a rear mounted antenna? Maybe a power one? That way no one could break it off or damage it. The 10-14's with the rear antenna look better than the front mounted ones on ours, imo. The hockey puck on the rear trunk (like sirius) works great, but unless your car is dark, it looks sort of funny to me. Just some thoughts.

As far as using the Mustang oem grid, I'd say no. In older cars maybe (pre-95/96), but anything with a GEM or electronic controller, could make for some serious issues. Non=GEM'd cars, I'd give it try.

Maybe you could add a second(aftermarket) grid, then it could work. As a defogger, It would have to work off it's own power supply, bypassing a incorporated oem controller. You could use the lines, just as an antenna. It would work then. You wouldn't even have to power it. Just use it for a stand alone antenna. Hmmm.

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/20/16 at 04:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RedFire281 (4/20/16)
Old 4/20/16, 04:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

GM used the windshield antenna, and the hook up was a push on button plug with a male end. You could take a 9 volt battery apart and get the piece needed, to solder onto the new grid, if you purchased an aftermarket kit. It would be so clean an install. You'd have to get the GM plug, but with the male antenna lead it uses, a simple antenna extension cable would plug right onto the GM plug, and you could run the other end to your radio. I can see this as a very workable situation. You probably wouldn't notice to much the extra lines either. ****, now you have my mind congering up a bunch of simple ideas for adding an antenna to my motorhome. Adding a grid to the front lookout overhead window would be an ideal way of adding an antenna with out having the **** thing whipping in the air. It would work very easily. Thanks for the idea.

2609 STK would work very nicely for this. It is the bare line kit, 13 inches tall and 40 inches wide. $44.00. I could surely see this working. Link----http://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-legacy.htm

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/20/16 at 04:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RedFire281 (4/20/16)
Old 4/20/16, 07:39 PM

akdoggie, thank you for your research, advice and recommendations. I am not bad at turning wrenches and following instructions but when it comes to electronics I'm as useless as **** on a boar hog. Unless someone has already blazed a trail with a write-up and pics, I wouldn't even pretend to know where to start. As far as a power antenna, I thought about that but decided the cost/value relationship just wasn't there for me. The 2609 STK looks promising but again, without a write-up and pics, if I bought the kit it would be like having a nail and no hammer to pound it in with. LOL If you ever get around to installing something on your motorhome, I'm sure I'd follow your lead. Thanks again!
Old 4/20/16, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
If you car has window tint it will probably not work well. Try putting a peace of wire under the dash or up front between the window and dash. Ride around town and see how that works. I use to be in the car audio business a while ago and did this for show cars.
Old 4/21/16, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Since you used to install them, wouldn't an antenna for a remote starter work or would the readings be incorrect for FM? I'm thinking that some were 433, 833, 2.4 and some 5.8GH, correct? The FM antenna I believe could work in this case, right?

I didn't know that the OP had added a tint shield to the window. No you couldn't use it as a heater, for sure. They do make a very narrow one, that would fit at the top inside the windshield that would make sort of hidden. You could even have a windshield banner, because it isn't heated. Same with the rear add on. You don't power it. You just use it for an antenna.

To the OP: The sheet has 2 wires at the end to attach to. You would just attach a plug for an antenna to it. The shield goes to the one side and the center goes to the other wire. You then run your wires to the radio and install a plug, to plug into your radio,. You can even use a dual wire (speaker type) and run it to the back of the radio and add your plug. You are done. It would be the same for the narrow band for the windshied. That's how I'd install the grid type. If the remote starter antenna would work, which I was asking about, that would be a nice clean install also. Just some thoughts. 1202-1418-L is a 4 inch band for the windshield.

A shielded wire, run along the windshield, like used with a scanner radio, would work ideally, like you said. The OP would have to get another antenna and cut the end (leave something to work with, lol) and attach his wires to that. Since there are two wires in the antenna (ground, signal), a dual wire, or a single with a shielded coat would work too.I din'

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/21/16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 4/23/16, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Interesting idea. My wife used to have a Mercedes CLK that had the antenna tapped into the defroster. Around the time the car turned 10, the capacitor broke down and the radio would cut reception whenever she used the defroster. Other than that, it worked great.

IIRC, my brother's '79 Impala had the antenna either built into the windshield frame or it was a thin wire applied directly to the windshield glass. I wonder if anyone offers a universal kit for either one
Old 4/23/16, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
You can use a defroster for an antenna. If your windows are tinted with regular tint is will hurt the reception alot. If you get window tint that is Ceramic than it will fork fine. Small antennas only work in close to the radio towers. The wave length of the signal is much larger than the antenna which makes for bad reception. Try the wire you will be surprised by how well it works. Unless you live in the country. You will need a big antenna with a booster. Or you can get a really good head unit with a very sensitive receiver.
Old 4/23/16, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
You can use a defroster for an antenna. If your windows are tinted with regular tint is will hurt the reception alot. If you get window tint that is Ceramic than it will fork fine. Small antennas only work in close to the radio towers. The wave length of the signal is much larger than the antenna which makes for bad reception. Try the wire you will be surprised by how well it works. Unless you live in the country. You will need a big antenna with a booster. Or you can get a really good head unit with a very sensitive receiver.
Jazzman and akdoggie, I'm really going to wave my flag of ignorance here so thanks in advance for your kind responses. Yes, my rear window is tinted and I don't know whether or not it is ceramic. I was researching the science/ technology behind FM reception and came across this link. Jazzman, I know this does not apply specifically to automobile reception but is this the idea you're alluding to?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6fZOdlBtrWKyPw

akdoggie, if I were to use the rear defroster, would the switching relay link from the cb7tuner forum work to overcome any GEM or electronic controller concerns?

Thanks again.

Last edited by RedFire281; 4/23/16 at 10:10 AM.