05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Q-Logic custom sub enclosure development

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/05, 09:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I missed the carpet requests! Man am I blown away. Everytime we have done this we have been told that carpet looked cheap! It is way less expensive and would certainly be possible to do. I will see if there is any way to carpet one of these so you can see what it looks like. The one word we heard more than anything else was that carpet made the enclosure look home made...

The JL woofers are all designed for small sealed boxes so they should all work well here. I think at the start of the thread that I listed the specs for the JL and it was a very good match. If there are any other woofers that you would like the specs on, I may be able to help. The one thing I can't do is tell you which woofer you will like the best. Only in the rarest occasions do things measure badly and sound good. But, if you listen to several combinations that measure well, you will probably have a favorite.

Custom fiberglass is always a solution. I would consider a true custom install by a professional installer a step up from this product, and it should be proportionally more expensive. When it comes to do it yourself, well it all depends on the individual. I've seen some amazing stuff, both good and bad.
Old 5/5/05, 09:49 PM
V6 Member

Nice Install!

We are developing an amp rack for the driver side. It will accomodate a pair of amps. A large 4 channel and a smaller two channel. We will make it as big as possible. It is a little hard to explain the configuration, I will post pictures when we have a prototype.
Old 5/6/05, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@May 5, 2005, 9:43 PM
OK, Here's my .02.
I wish I could've found something like this (pic) professionally made. It's my opinion that one good 12 is plenty in this car, unless you're aiming for a competitive market, which wouldn't use a prefab box anyway. With this one 12 (yes, I'm powering it w/ a 1000 watt amp... originally planned on having two 12's), it's a lot of sound. The trunk rattles like crazy - and drives me nuts - the interior rattles, etc.
I don't like having the woofer mounted in the side for a couple of reasons - hard turns = hole in sub, and the sound isn't as good in my opinion.
What would be your solution to mounting the amp w/ this setup?
With what I did, I also gained a little cubby hole behind the rear seat to put small items such as a first aid kit, valuables, etc. Again, professionally made could've been a lot better.

And heck, let's face it... it looks cool!
I think this is a fine install, but I respectfully disagree that this is an ideal design. First, it takes up way too much room. You've eliminated the depth of the trunk. While the cubby is nice, it's not like that space dissappears if you don't make a cubby. Secondly, when you say "hard turns = hole in sub", I say "hard stops = hole in sub" with your setup. Last, while your setup sounds good to your ears, you haven't objectively compared it to Bill's design, since Bill's design isn't even on the market (yet). The fact that he's an engineer at Rockford and does this sort of thing for a living means that he probably has access to better resources and can design a great application.

Again, no offense intended, but it appears you are a little biased towards your install. I know I would be biased towards my install.
Old 5/6/05, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by xr7g428+May 5, 2005, 9:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xr7g428 @ May 5, 2005, 9:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>To answer a few more questions....
We do map the vehicle for transfer function. In the Mustang they found that if you put the sub on the driver side it sounds best in the passenger seat. Placement of the enclosure has a lot to do with the exact nature of the transfer function. If you are not familiar with this term, it describes how the size and shape of the interior changes the response of the subs. Any sub will sound different in a car than in a big room. The difference is the transfer function.

Also, woofers are not as sensitive to space requirements as some people wpould like you to believe. the transfer function of the car makes the single biggest change in sound.
[/b]

Thanks for the information! I'm guessing that putting the sub on the passenger side makes it sound best in the driver's seat? What kind of in-car frequency response did you see? Hopefully a nice 25 Hz boost.

Originally posted by xr7g428@May 5, 2005, 9:24 PM
I will try to get more detail on the door enclosures and how to make them work better. This will take time as we try to approach this in a scientific manner, taking a lot of measurements. On first glance, Ford did a pretty good job of finding space in the door. More latter.
That would be awesome. It appears everyone would like to see this, although it seems like a difficult problem to solve. I saw the heat gun solution, but I'd rather see something easier. Good luck!

<!--QuoteBegin-xr7g428
@May 5, 2005, 9:24 PM
For 12" woofers we will offer enclosures that range in steped sizes: 1, 1.25, 1.75cuft per woofer. Using our baffle system, you can add additional steps of 1.5 and 2.25 cuft.
[/quote]

Are these enclosure sizes going to be availible in the design you first posted on this thread? Or are these just regular boxes?

Also, I'm more concerned about how a box sounds than how a box looks. If you leave it unpainted and it costs $20 less, then leave mine unpainted!
Old 5/6/05, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Although I have no plans to buy your product (since I already installed my system myself) I will give a couple of my opinions:

1) I would prefer the enclosure to be covered in matching carpet as well.
2) A lot of mustang owners are concerned with weight, so the ligher the better (while maintain strength of course)
3) I have my sub mounted in the exact same location and the sound is excellent. Very hard hitting but very crisp as the same time.

Good luck with the design.
Old 5/9/05, 10:47 AM
V6 Member

Just to catch up...

We would like to offer more than one size or type (single dual) for the Mustang, but the first model has to sell well enough to justify more products. Just the way the business works.

A dual enclosure needs to have the subs mounted on the same plane and as close as possible. Mounting subs in each corner is not optimum. This limits what we can do with a custom enclosure. A conventional rear firing dual will work great in this car, it just takes up a lot of space and weighs more than some customers would like. We do consider weight. a 100 pound enclosure will require an additional 10 horsepower to move. Horsepower costs money too.

For the doors we would like to have some kind of modification kit where you cut a part out and then install a new part from the kit. Honestly, this one is going to take a while to develop. We need to get a good feel for how different woofers work in the door. We have a lot of concerns with the mounting location in general. Woofers just don't work well pointed at each other. A single sub mounted under the center dash would have been acoustically much better. Unfortunately, there is no space available.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded!
Old 6/12/05, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

*bump*

Any updates on these Q-Logic speaker enclosures?
Old 6/12/05, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

who needs trunk space lol j/k

Old 6/13/05, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just found this and would be interested in the 12" or w 10" application. I like the idea of covering it in carpet to create a stock look.
Old 6/13/05, 10:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah, I too am very interested
Old 6/13/05, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that, carpeted, it would look much better. Products that flow into the original design and look stock are my personal favorites. If you can do that, then you're good to go. I also found this enclosure at Crutchfield if anyone wants to take a look- only about $140.
Old 6/14/05, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not understanding the difficulty in doing a dual 10. Didn't Ford already do that? Make me a solid copy of that enclosure and I will purchase it. Better yet, bump it up to dual 12, eek out abot 1.5-1.75 cubic feet total, and I'll buy the first one.
Old 6/14/05, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

dying to see amp rack pictures
Old 6/15/05, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
xr7g428,

I think the whole trick with carpet is to make it MATCH the factory carpet. I have seen some pretty crappy enclosures (carpeted and other covers. Down to bare particle board. Yes. Particle board...) and I've seen some pretty good ones. If the carpet is a high quality carpet and matches the factory carpet, the box can almost disappear in the trunk. Which is what a lot of us want.

The whole vacuum formed plastic covers just screams "crap" in my book. And I used to work at a die casting plant, so I DO know how much the tooling cost to make those "cheap" parts....

Give us an update if you can. I think there are a lot of folks out here that are still interested in this product line.
Old 6/17/05, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im interested to see what you can do.. for my 2 cents Id be interested in dual enclosures first, and a single second. The only way Im going to look into a single enclosure is if its a 12" and would accommodate an Image Dynamics IDMax d2.

Id also be interested in a boxed enclosure for 2 15" subs. But again, Id need it to accommodate 2 Adire Brahma 15s or atleast 2 JL 15w6s.

I really dont care what they are covered with, or look like. I just want to know that the material is going to flex as little as possible. Leave it bare MDF for all I care, I can recarpet it myself.
Old 6/17/05, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Any new info?
Old 9/24/05, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Bump this. C'mon, we need this thing on the market.
Old 9/25/05, 01:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is always Scosche..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A69Z9GOMyZW/c...30&I=142FDMUS05
Old 9/25/05, 03:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fryguy@September 25, 2005, 3:15 PM
There is always Scosche..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A69Z9GOMyZW/c...30&I=142FDMUS05

True, but I'm trying to get a few more options. MTX claims they're making a Thunderform, but won't say anything else, and apparently, all proceedings in regards to the Q-Form have halted. heck, if someone wants to sell the factory Ford boxes at a good price, I'd buy, but they're WAY too expensive.
Old 9/28/05, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

Time for an update...

Sorry so long in getting back on the board...

We were pretty well complete on the product when we finally got our hands on a convertible. :bang: As many of you know it is quite different from the coupe, with regard to the structure of the floor in the rear quarter area. The rear package tray is also much lower at the outside edge. Both of these issues caused interference with the enclosure. Convertible sales are supposed to run at least 1/3 of Mustang sales so this is a big problem. Building two enclosures doesn't look econmonically feasible. So we had to start over. I am still personally pulling for two models as I believe that they just fit better... but work continues.

The product will be introduced at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January. I am hopeful that with the blessings of the board here, that we will be able to ofer some kind of special discount for board members. I will post more when I have a more firm deal to talk about.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Bill B

Quick Reply: Q-Logic custom sub enclosure development