05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Post up pics of your subs in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/06, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post up pics of your subs in the trunk

Right now i have 2-10in kicker l5's and id like to find a cool place to mount them. Im not a big fan of just putting a box in the trunk. In the past, i would use the spare tire well with a false floor to hid the subs and wiring. I also like the look of the side mounted boxes (like the shaker, located off to the sides).

Please post up pics of your sub boxes (any)
Old 8/17/06, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

Pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 in 1 ft3 each:
http://www.savkomedia.com/kevin/Pics/Audio/IMG_1621.jpg
http://www.savkomedia.com/kevin/Pics/Audio/IMG_1698.jpg
http://www.savkomedia.com/kevin/Pics/Audio/IMG_1699.jpg

Old 8/17/06, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Kevin, Just someting you might want to try. I had a JL 15w3 facing forward in my wifes Taurus which did not hit that hard. I built another enclosure with the sub facing the rear of the trunk and it would rattle your brains out with bass. I guess it is a trade off. Less bass and more accurate facing forward or more bass ( deeper and a little boomy) facing toward the rear. In my 89 coupe I used to compete in IASCA with two RF Pro 12". I had them facing the rear deck slightly angled forward. It was a good trade off since you had the tight bass from the slight forward placement and a little reinforced base from the reflection out of the trunk, kind of like a Klipsch folded horn home speaker. I must say I really like your sub enclosure. I never thought of using the speckle paint. It really looks nice and covered all the seams real well.
Old 8/17/06, 07:10 PM

Infintiy 12" Kappa Perfect, dual voice coil

Here is a pic of my Infinity 12", my amp is located between the two rear speakers.

It is an enclosed box that I had built to fit behind the seat in my Ford ranger single cab. I plan to make a ported box soon and port it to the interior of the car.

The Infinity sounded really good in the ranger and in the envoy I had it in after that. but I can't get it to sound right hooked up to the stock stereo. I am about to take it out untill I get a new head unit. I sold my other one to my bro because I thought this factory one would sound great once I hooked up the sub .
Old 8/17/06, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Scosche enclosure with Soundstream Exact 12, and the carpet folded under (oops). Sounds real nice, but will be replaced. I'll do a spare tire well enclosure in the fall.
Old 8/17/06, 07:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a pic I have from my gallery at 2005stang.com Built this with a hidden compartment behind the amp that can only be accessed by pulling the rear seat down. Gives me an extra place to stash stuff that I don't want flying around the trunk... SCT tuner, etc.
Old 8/17/06, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustangdaren
Kevin, Just someting you might want to try. I had a JL 15w3 facing forward in my wifes Taurus which did not hit that hard. I built another enclosure with the sub facing the rear of the trunk and it would rattle your brains out with bass. I guess it is a trade off. Less bass and more accurate facing forward or more bass ( deeper and a little boomy) facing toward the rear. In my 89 coupe I used to compete in IASCA with two RF Pro 12". I had them facing the rear deck slightly angled forward. It was a good trade off since you had the tight bass from the slight forward placement and a little reinforced base from the reflection out of the trunk, kind of like a Klipsch folded horn home speaker. I must say I really like your sub enclosure. I never thought of using the speckle paint. It really looks nice and covered all the seams real well.
Thanks for this info, I had thought about pointing them backwards, everyone seems to be doing that but I didn't understand the benefit. I always use Rockford Fosgate subs and decided to use the Infinity as I'm kinda tired of just booming around and wanted some clean accurate sound. I keep the rear seats "cracked", resting on the latches but not latched, and the sound is exactly what I was looking for. What I have now is pretty much the best sound of anything I've ever built, it has some serious kick, so I ain't gonna change it... at least not any time soon.
Old 8/17/06, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Infinity will be my next purchase to replace the EFX sub in mine. I have had Rockford, JL, Pioneer, Kicker, MTX subs and liked the JL Audio the best but their prices are getting a little too high now. I am really impressed with all the reviews the Kappa Perfect is getting and it looks like a stout built sub. I was supprised at how well the EFX sub sounds in the Scosche Mustang enclosure. I just recently sold my two RF Pro 15" subs in my SUV so I could build a system in the Mustang and figured I would be disappointed going to only one 12" but it really hits hard. Heck, I was affraid it was going to cause my honeycomb panel to come off the trunk lid, lol. I look forward to getting the Kappa Perfect to replace the EFX sub. I bet your system does kick some butt with two of them.
Old 8/18/06, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

Look people, my screenname actually came from the company. I was sponsored and competed in IASCA 12 years ago. I won't buy current Infinity stuff unless it's a Perfect Q. That's it. I hate their current subs. They're weak, thin-sounding, and ugly, too. Their components lack midbass in the worst way. I would suggest going with Dayton Titanics LONG before the newer Infinity garbage. Hell, even a few of their reps would like to see the Beta series re-released
Old 8/18/06, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

If money was no object for me I would use Eton drivers, especially for highs and mids. Since that is out of my price range, MB Quart is all I would have for highs and mids. Seems like all the companies are going cheapo since they have started being built overseas. I miss the early 90's with the classic Art Series PPI amps, when a JL Audio sub didn't cost $400 each and you could build an awesome system to compete with for under $2K. Now when you go to IASCA events some of the cars have $50K invested in them. I saw one that even had motorised front speakers that tracked the movement of the drivers head with a laser so they can be angled to keep you always in the sweetspot.
Old 8/18/06, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

The Kappa Perfect 12.1 is a very different sound from what I am used to hearing (using RF subs). My sealed enclosure is built exactly to their spec (1 cubic foot, 1" poly fill lined) with the exception of my using 3/4 MDF instead of 1". I also tried to match the power rating of these subs exactly, the RF 6001bd puts out about 700W RMS, right on the 350W each rating. I am assuming I am hearing these things as intended by the manufacturer and it's impressive. My biggest problem with the way it sounds has to do with the dam rattling and vibration inside and outside the vehicle dirtying up the music. At certain times the rattling is louder than the speaker output. Got to have another Dynamat session this weekend.
Old 8/18/06, 11:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Here's a pic I have from my gallery at 2005stang.com Built this with a hidden compartment behind the amp that can only be accessed by pulling the rear seat down. Gives me an extra place to stash stuff that I don't want flying around the trunk... SCT tuner, etc.
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...10100/0037.jpg
That looks great, it's one of the coolest installs I've seen. How does the sound get into the cockpit like that, though? Are there vents on the side or behind the wall?
Old 8/18/06, 01:25 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by KevinS
That looks great, it's one of the coolest installs I've seen. How does the sound get into the cockpit like that, though? Are there vents on the side or behind the wall?
There's space on the edges near the top due to the shape of the inner quarters. Don't worry, there is NO lack of sound in the cabin. And thank you.
Old 8/18/06, 01:42 PM
GT Member

awsome pics guys. Keep them comming. I will be building my box over the next week or so and will post up some pics.

I love the amp bolted the bottom of the rear deck, i would have never thought of that. Thank you
Old 8/18/06, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Kevin, Are those the regular Kappa Perfect 12.1 or the 12.1 VQ?
Old 8/18/06, 06:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez
awsome pics guys. Keep them comming. I will be building my box over the next week or so and will post up some pics.

I love the amp bolted the bottom of the rear deck, i would have never thought of that. Thank you
Just a word of caution. The heatsinks on the amp are made to dissapate (sp?) heat upwards. I don't know if the amp would cool as well upside down. I'm sure lots of people have done it just fine... just watch how hard it's pushed.
Old 8/18/06, 07:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustangdaren
Kevin, Are those the regular Kappa Perfect 12.1 or the 12.1 VQ?
Regular Kappa Perfect 12.1. I tried running them with the seats all the way down today, they sound way better. I have some acoustically transparent black RF carpet leftover from an old install, going to make a panel of it this weekend to hide 'em when my seats are down.
Old 8/22/06, 02:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

heres how i did mine before i decided to put 4 12's in the back seat

Old 8/27/06, 03:10 PM

here's a pitcure of mine. rockford phosgate - 12" punch phase 2's and a 800 watt punch amp.
Attached Thumbnails Post up pics of your subs in the trunk-mustang-003.jpg  
Old 8/27/06, 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

Well done. I personally go stealth with my setups, but I can certainly appreciate a clean show-style setup. Nice.

Quick Reply: Post up pics of your subs in the trunk