05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC F900BT

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/08, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC F900BT

Guys,

What's your opinions on the New Pioneer AVIC F900BT?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rEaUpDC...CF90&s=0&cc=01

Reviews after the new software upgrades have been pretty good (aside from the long load times of the system). Most attractive to me is the voice controls similar to SYNC, and Navigation systems.

I'm considering this for the Mustang, as an update to my older Kenwood KDC-579 deck
Old 8/13/08, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

It seems to fix all of the issues I have with my AVIC-D3, so . Go for it.
Old 8/13/08, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I LOVE my D3 (and it is a great unit), this new system from Pioneer has me thinking of an upgrade in the near future (with a sale of the previous unit). Only things I don't like from what I heard, over on AVIC411 (Jason the admin installed one already), is the wiring harnesses are all different Gotta re-wire up the harness to the headunit and then plug into the Ford unit. Next is the smaller Nav screen. But I do like the MSN Direct feature, the voice commands for the Ipod, and the 3D nav features. And the free Bluetooth feature is quite nice too, as is the SD drive and USB drive. I've been looking on Ebay and have seen the F-90BT/900BT is roughly around $850 or so shipped. Check out AVIC411.com for great info on this unit.
Old 8/14/08, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

I just bought the AVIC-F700BT unit (no DVD capability). I'll keep you posted after the installation.
Old 8/14/08, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys... looking forward to the information!
Old 8/14/08, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

The only thing that is stopping me from looking into this further is the firmware issues that have popped up on the early models. Pioneer should have just held onto this unit for a few more months or so, until every bug was worked out. For those who bought it early, Pioneer does have a firmware update to install via the SD slot. Maybe after the new year, I'll see if all the bugs are worked out. if so, maybe then will I look into it further. For now, I still love the D3. No issues at all and the iPod works perfectly (especially after the tip from Tom281 regarding the genre/artist name idea. Thanks buddy ).
Old 8/14/08, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

From what I've read on Crutchfield, Pioneer released an update on July 25th to address some of the Nav problems, and bluetooth connections.

Load times are still slow, from what I've read, but it has to do with loading the nav system and ipod (if connected)
Old 8/15/08, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

I did a connection test with a bypassed (see avic411) Metra harness that has the right connectors at both ends, so no soldering or crimping was needed. The F700BT unit started and performed well, although I only got to test the FM radio, CD player and navigation. I'm waiting for the Metra brackett before I can install it. Next weekend should be done, I can't wait to see how the phone and external audio functions perform.

Both the harness and the HU itself are EU spec, bought locally. Some features and installation steps are bound to be different than the US counterparts.

Last edited by Louie; 8/15/08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 8/15/08, 09:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Tsbird1994
From what I've read on Crutchfield, Pioneer released an update on July 25th to address some of the Nav problems, and bluetooth connections.

Load times are still slow, from what I've read, but it has to do with loading the nav system and ipod (if connected)
Yeah, I did read that over on AVIC411, but if the iPod is slow, that may quash it for me, as I have mine connected ALL THE TIME!!! No CD's in my car at all.
Old 8/19/08, 03:19 AM
Cobra Member

I installed my F700BT unit last night. Very straightforward installation, thanks to the instructions that came with the unit (and the people at Metra!).
One big plus was the special Metra wiring harness which I bought from a Mustang store in Germany. It had the ISO connectors already attached to the wires, so it was just a plug-n-play connection. It also contained a built-in bypass like the one the guys over at AVIC411.com are recommending.
All I had to do was ground the parking brake wire and install my previously unused amplified antenna. I also updated the system as per Pioneer's website, so I didn't encounter any of the bugs the other users had mentioned.
Due to the fact that I will be selling the Mustang later this year and I'm keeping the HU, I chose to install the microphone over the steering column and the GPS antenna on the inside of the C-pillar, for easy removal. The GPS wire was routed underneath the center console, rear seat and back rest. The USB cable is now in the center console, routed through the opening in the storage space wall. I have an 8Gb flash drive with more than enough music on it to render the purchase of an iPod obsolete. That doesn't mean that I might not do that in the future, maybe on the next car.

Now, the operation: the (well-known) issue of the slow start is something I can live with, but I'm not very fond of the fact that the system restarts when firing the engine (i.e. from key position III to ignition and back). The Bluetooth function works great, I paired my phone with the HU, copied the entire phonebook and made a couple calls. The sound quality was perfect, no complaints there either. GPS navigation is very good too, easy to operate and POI's are very complete in information.
The sound quality is a huge improvement even on the stock speakers and subs, it really showed how mediocre the Shaker 500 is.
There's a pdf operation manual on Pioneer's website that I downloaded too. At 177 pages, you can imagine how many settings one can adjust. All in all, I'm happy with the F700BT. I'll need more time with it to discover and play with all the features before I can give more input.
Pics to come later today, it was too dark when I finished last night.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Louie; 8/19/08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 8/19/08, 08:12 AM
GT Member

This might be a dumb question, but I have the shaker 1000 system in my car and I was wondering if something like this would be compatible? Does the shaker 1000 system make it more of a pain to install an aftermarket stereo?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8/19/08, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

Pics as promised:
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-001.jpg   Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-002.jpg   Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-007.jpg   Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-008.jpg   Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-009.jpg  

Old 8/19/08, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Three more:
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-011.jpg   Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-012.jpg   Pioneer AVIC F900BT-f700bt-005.jpg  
Old 8/21/08, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Louie
Pics as promised:
CCR rocks.
Old 8/21/08, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Three more:
Pearl Jam rocks.
Old 8/22/08, 02:18 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks, I used to play guitar for Pearl Jam...

...in my dreams!
Old 8/22/08, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I used to play guitar for Pearl Jam...

...in my dreams!
You silly *****!
Old 8/25/08, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
While I LOVE my D3 (and it is a great unit), this new system from Pioneer has me thinking of an upgrade in the near future (with a sale of the previous unit). Only things I don't like from what I heard, over on AVIC411 (Jason the admin installed one already), is the wiring harnesses are all different Gotta re-wire up the harness to the headunit and then plug into the Ford unit. Next is the smaller Nav screen. But I do like the MSN Direct feature, the voice commands for the Ipod, and the 3D nav features. And the free Bluetooth feature is quite nice too, as is the SD drive and USB drive. I've been looking on Ebay and have seen the F-90BT/900BT is roughly around $850 or so shipped. Check out AVIC411.com for great info on this unit.

Jeff- If you do upgrade please let me know if you are interested in selling your old unit. Im local to you and would love to buy it from you and throw a little extra money your way for some help with the install.
Old 8/26/08, 09:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Jeff- If you do upgrade please let me know if you are interested in selling your old unit. Im local to you and would love to buy it from you and throw a little extra money your way for some help with the install.
Hey Eric, I'll let definitely let you know. All depends on how work goes. Right now, people just aren't buying cars at the same rate, so I gotta slow my mod budget down a tad. I'll snag this only after I'm sure the bugs are throughly worked out of the units that they ship. That and after I try it out in a store 1st. But don't worry. If I do get it, I'll give you a call 1st.
Old 8/31/08, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

One big plus was the special Metra wiring harness which I bought from a Mustang store in Germany.
Hey Louie...Long time no talk. What store are you talking about and where is it? Thx...

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC F900BT