05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC-D3 finally installed!

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/08, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pioneer AVIC-D3 finally installed!

FedEx came alittle early and I was able to install it a week early!

Install was easier then I had expexted and took maybe 4 hours total. The only snag we ran into was the OEM bolts for mounting the stereo to the dash were too short to use with the Metra mounting kit.

I'll have to get some more 'finished' pics once the weather clears up.

*We also installed Dynamat Extreme under the center console and rear seats while we had them out. What a WORLD of difference that made!*
Old 7/7/08, 09:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. Your son (I assume he is your son) looks pretty content watching the DVD as well.
Old 7/7/08, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to see some pics of the dynomat under the center console if you have any.
Old 7/7/08, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

AVIC-D3, I thought that was discontinued? There used to be some good deals on it but I don't see it for sale anymore.
Old 7/7/08, 11:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jedikd
AVIC-D3, I thought that was discontinued? There used to be some good deals on it but I don't see it for sale anymore.
Hey dude, yes, the D3 is discontinued, and Crutchfield sold out of their stock, but you can find them on Ebay, for very good prices! I was thinking of actually upgrading to the new AVIC F900BT, but everytime I get in my car and use the D3, I like it even more. I learn new things every day. Its a great unit for the price, and is worth the price you get it for. Works great in the car!!!
Old 7/8/08, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The D3 is a great unit....... I love mine. Wish the Ipod controls were enhanced a tad, but still a great unit.
Old 7/9/08, 05:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
The D3 is a great unit....... I love mine. Wish the Ipod controls were enhanced a tad, but still a great unit.
Tom, I feel you on the iPod controls. What would be killer, is when you press "artist" or "album", there would be a set of buttons in the blank space, that has all the letters from the alphabet, organized like a cell phone. This would be great, so you can just go to the letter the artist's name begins with, instead of holding the "up-down" arrow. This would basically make the iPod controls perfect IMO.
Old 7/9/08, 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys!

Looks great. Your son (I assume he is your son) looks pretty content watching the DVD as well.
Yup, that's my son Bradley and through him I've found the only down fall to having a DVD player in the stang. ...every DVD he's 'played out' in the house, is now brand new again because he can watch it in the car!

Would like to see some pics of the dynomat under the center console if you have any.
That's all the pics my 'helpers' took. We installed 3 rolls and ended up running about 1/2 a roll short in the backseat area. I'd like to finish that up and also get the backdeck area, but I work 11 out of the next 12 days.
Old 7/9/08, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

Updated Pics.

Old 7/9/08, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Tom, I feel you on the iPod controls. What would be killer, is when you press "artist" or "album", there would be a set of buttons in the blank space, that has all the letters from the alphabet, organized like a cell phone. This would be great, so you can just go to the letter the artist's name begins with, instead of holding the "up-down" arrow. This would basically make the iPod controls perfect IMO.
That is exactly what I want....... just something to search through artists quicker. It has forced me to make more playlists of my favorites but still isn't exactly what I would be happy with.
Old 7/11/08, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

That is exactly what I want....... just something to search through artists quicker. It has forced me to make more playlists of my favorites but still isn't exactly what I would be happy with.
I saw a trick on avic411.com where people are setting the genre tag of each of their songs to the band's name, so when you hit the genre button on the ipod controls, you can do just what you're looking for.
Old 7/11/08, 09:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hum....... thanks Ray, I'll search around that forum again.
Old 7/12/08, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
I saw a trick on avic411.com where people are setting the genre tag of each of their songs to the band's name, so when you hit the genre button on the ipod controls, you can do just what you're looking for.
You mean set the genre tag to the first letter of the artist's name, right? That's what I've done. Kind of a pain to get set up at first, but it works, and the genre tag was always kind of useless before anyway.
Old 7/12/08, 09:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've had my D3 a year now. Love it still
Old 7/13/08, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SStang
You mean set the genre tag to the first letter of the artist's name, right? That's what I've done. Kind of a pain to get set up at first, but it works, and the genre tag was always kind of useless before anyway.
Just did it...... makes searching much quicker. Thanks for the idea guys.
Old 7/14/08, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just did it...... makes searching much quicker. Thanks for the idea guys.
Hey Tom, what do I need to do, to get this to work on my D3? I'm assuming go into Itunes library, and add each letter of each artist's name to Genre and it will work? Thanks again bud!
Old 7/14/08, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Jason, how did you get the pictures to work? I tried and couldn't get them to upload to the player? I followed the directions to a T off of AVIC411.com and still nothing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks dude.
Old 7/14/08, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Tom, what do I need to do, to get this to work on my D3? I'm assuming go into Itunes library, and add each letter of each artist's name to Genre and it will work? Thanks again bud!
This is what I did:
1) Open your itunes library....
2) highlight all of the artists that have the same starting letter, using the "shift" key on your keyboard and the up/down arrows
3) Once you have them highlighted, right-click your mouse and select "get info"
4) Locate the genre heading and change it to the corresponding letter of the artists
5) Repeat for each letter that is needed.
6) Sinc your ipod. That's it.

Now when you select genre on the D3, you'll see letters appear...... Select the letter of the artist you want, then the actual artist after that. Much quicker to use.
Old 7/14/08, 08:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Jason, how did you get the pictures to work? I tried and couldn't get them to upload to the player? I followed the directions to a T off of AVIC411.com and still nothing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks dude.

Did you save the pictures to a CD using the special specified file extension?
Old 7/14/08, 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Did you save the pictures to a CD using the special specified file extension?
I think I did. I just opened up the desktop file where I stored the pics (part of the instructions from AVIC411), and I renamed the files using just letters or numbers, with no spaces, or symbols (example, the GT screen saver from here, that Brad posted, I have named 2005GT. Tom, should I use a special extension after the name?

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D3 finally installed!