05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC - D1

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/05, 10:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In another thread, I promised to post pictures of the AVIC-D1 installation. I thought it would be best to start a new thread with its own, specific, descriptive title so that others who are interested in this particular model would have an easier time searching for it.

I was told by my installers that the AVIC-D1 (installed last Friday) was the first one sold and installed in Northern California. I am fortunate enough to have gotten my hands on this system a week before it was supposed to arrive at the Pioneer distributor in Emeryville, CA.

The install looked tough. Thanks to Jim and Rich of Phat Customs for the great work. Those two guys spent 6.5 hours in the freezing cold (they didn't finish until 1:00 AM) installing the head unit. As you can see, they did a great job. There are gaps above and below the unit because the adapter for the Mustang was not yet available.

In addition to the "basic" head unit, there is a hardwire iPod adapter installed, and the XM Satellite Radio tuner is scheduled to be here by mid-late month.

Without further ado, here are the pictures.
Old 5/10/05, 03:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

im not trying to sound rude here BUT i install car audio myself as a part time job and hobby and IMO this is not the best job someone could have done , if there is not a kit for something i will make one from scratch and make sure it fits with out a seam or gap. again this is my opinion,

i installed my panasonic indash screen in about 2 hours and that includes cutting the interior so i could run the wires for the brain down the center of the car and not down the side like most do

please dont think i bashing you or anything i mean if your happy with it then thats cool im just a perfectionest
Old 5/10/05, 05:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm interested in the D1 and it looks pretty good in the car. I'd love to get the Eclipse AVN5435 though so I can get the 5v preouts and movie playback. The D1 however is in my price range.

Does the D1 allow you to hookup say a PS2 and use that for movies instead?
Old 5/10/05, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

just put the Kenwood DDX-7015 in my wifes equinox and it is awsome, got a great price on it too, if anyone is interested i can get them pretty cheap
Old 5/10/05, 08:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by vc4life@May 10, 2005, 6:00 AM
just put the Kenwood DDX-7015 in my wifes equinox and it is awsome, got a great price on it too, if anyone is interested i can get them pretty cheap

I thought these only had a 2v preout. From another post you had on here you said that it's 4v or bust. lol What kind of price are we talking about?
Old 5/10/05, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

yes im interested in the price too for the kenwood.thats the one that plays dvd only and not navigation right.im looking in to getting that one.im getting it at around $950 for just the dvd unit.how much did you pay
Old 5/10/05, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by vc4life@May 10, 2005, 1:29 AM
im not trying to sound rude here BUT i install car audio myself as a part time job and hobby and IMO this is not the best job someone could have done , if there is not a kit for something i will make one from scratch and make sure it fits with out a seam or gap. again this is my opinion,

i installed my panasonic indash screen in about 2 hours and that includes cutting the interior so i could run the wires for the brain down the center of the car and not down the side like most do

please dont think i bashing you or anything i mean if your happy with it then thats cool im just a perfectionest
I couldn't agree with you more. The gaps are driving me nuts, and the installer told me that he would make an adapter from scratch if he couldn't find one from Pioneer. Also, he said that he would do it for free.

So, please consider this a work in progress.
Old 5/10/05, 11:40 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@May 10, 2005, 3:50 AM
I'm interested in the D1 and it looks pretty good in the car. I'd love to get the Eclipse AVN5435 though so I can get the 5v preouts and movie playback. The D1 however is in my price range.

I was looking at the Eclipse as well but went with the Pioneer because of the price as well as the ability to play both XM and Sirrius satellite radio (with the proper adaptors).
Old 5/10/05, 11:41 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@May 10, 2005, 3:50 AM

In regards to the PS2 and movies, I didn't specifically ask about video game systems, but the installer did offer a third party accessory that would allow the screen to play DVD movies.
Old 5/10/05, 04:55 PM
GT Member

Nice system, but without DVD playback I am not interested. I am looking at either the Kenwood DDX7015 or the Eclipse AVN2454. I will probably go with whatever I can find cheaper, since navigation doesn't matter to me.
Old 5/10/05, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@May 10, 2005, 2:58 PM
Nice system, but without DVD playback I am not interested. I am looking at either the Kenwood DDX7015 or the Eclipse AVN2454. I will probably go with whatever I can find cheaper, since navigation doesn't matter to me.
I don't disagree with you at all. DVD playback was pretty important to me, but XM Satellite radio and XM NavTraffic were more important. Also, the fine here in California for playing a DVD movie in the front seat while driving is $1,200.

Despite that, I am still going to pay the extra $250 and have an adapter installed that would allow me to play DVDs.

Good luck with your search.
Old 5/10/05, 05:42 PM
GT Member

I don't disagree with you at all. DVD playback was pretty important to me, but XM Satellite radio and XM NavTraffic were more important. Despite that, I am still going to pay the extra $250 and have an adapter installed that would allow me to play DVDs.
Good luck with your search
DVD playback is the first priority for me, then after that I am considering adding Sirius Satellite Radio and most definitely and iPod adpater. I would want to play DVDs in the front seat while driving, but it wouldn't be a distraction because I would mostly listen to the audio on DVDs.

Also, the fine here in California for playing a DVD movie in the front seat while driving is $1,200.

Does anyone know if such a fine exists in NY/NJ?
Old 5/10/05, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm glad you stepped up to the plate and posted some info on this unit. I'm not pretty sure this head unit is not for me. I love all the features of the kenwood unit but the 2v preouts and the fact that it is so old. I swear they should be coming up onto a new product cycle soon!
Old 5/10/05, 07:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by rcinco@May 9, 2005, 11:31 PM

The install looked tough. Thanks to Jim and Rich of Phat Customs for the great work. Those two guys spent 6.5 hours in the freezing cold (they didn't finish until 1:00 AM) installing the head unit. As you can see, they did a great job. There are gaps above and below the unit because the adapter for the Mustang was not yet available.

Freezing cold!?! Installed my system here in my non-heated garage in January - 10 degrees above!!-spent 4.5 total hours. BBBrrrrrrr. :shock:

Chiding aside-I have a Metra dual DIN adapter left over from my car's install kit for you if you want it. PM me and I can send it to you!
BTW it is the same install kit used for the New Gen F-150
Old 5/10/05, 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by oatmeal@May 10, 2005, 6:12 PM
I'm glad you stepped up to the plate and posted some info on this unit. I'm not pretty sure this head unit is not for me. I love all the features of the kenwood unit but the 2v preouts and the fact that it is so old. I swear they should be coming up onto a new product cycle soon!
I actually thought the 6017 was the new model for their double din line. I could be wrong though.
Old 5/10/05, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Well ......I finished my install of the AVIC D1. Took about 3 1/2 hours. That included a newer XM tuner as well. I did take some pics during install, but I don't have the time to post 'em all now. I'll give you a look at the finished product. The adapters worked well, and the harness was right on the money. There was an adapter with it for the door subs....I think.....but I'm not sure of the hook up. I'll call them tomorrow about it.

[attachmentid=20699]
Old 5/10/05, 09:23 PM

i want one!!
Old 5/10/05, 09:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 10, 2005, 8:15 PM
Well ......I finished my install of the AVIC D1. Took about 3 1/2 hours. That included a newer XM tuner as well. I did take some pics during install, but I don't have the time to post 'em all now. I'll give you a look at the finished product. The adapters worked well, and the harness was right on the money. There was an adapter with it for the door subs....I think.....but I'm not sure of the hook up. I'll call them tomorrow about it.

[attachmentid=20699]
Looks good. Guess I am going to have to get off my lazy **** and get my 7015 installed one of these days. Anyone know where to get a harness plug for a shaker1000? Until the funds rebuild I don't have the jack to rewire and replace, would love to use the factory speaker wiring and extra subs and amps.
Old 5/10/05, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bpmurr+May 10, 2005, 8:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bpmurr @ May 10, 2005, 8:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-vc4life@May 10, 2005, 6:00 AM

I thought these only had a 2v preout. From another post you had on here you said that it's 4v or bust. lol What kind of price are we talking about?
[/b][/quote]

lol well this was for the wifes truck and she is not worried about going crazy on amps and stuff for here system so the 2v will work fine , plus she wanted a double din screen

in my car however i went with the panasonic 7500u which has a 5v output and works great with all my new DB Drive Platinum amps subs and highs

oh ya if you need prices send me a PM
Old 5/11/05, 05:56 AM
V6 Member

does that thing hide away at all? also how much did it cost cuz an extra 250 for dvd play ability does not sound bad considering the kenwood im interested is about 1,000 with just dvd and 2,000 with both dvd and navigation.

an extra 250 beats the heck out of an extra 1,000.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC - D1