05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

New Stereo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/14, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question New Stereo Questions

Hi,

I am trying to put together a parts list for upgrading everything in my 07 GT. I currently have the Sony MEX-GS600BT head unit with Infinity Reference 6832cf speakers front and rear. I am looking at putting an Alpine MRV-M500 amp and a decent 12" sub in the trunk. I am just trying to figure out how to power the front and rear speakers and the door subs.

Does anyone know what the power rating is for the factory door subs? I was contemplating getting the Shelby Kicker 8" door subs and powering the front speakers and the door subs off of a 4-channel amp and then just power the rear speakers off of the head unit. If I were to do something like that, what size of an amp should I be looking at? The IF 6832cf speakers are rated at 60w RMS/180W peak and the Shelby kickers are 200w RMS/400w Peak. That would require a good size amp to power. something around 600W.

What is the best way to approach this?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 1/24/14, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the factory door subs is that they are an odd 1.2 ohm dual voice coil speaker rated for 60/60 watts. The stock door sub amp (or amps I think in your case) doesn't have enough power to work with those Kickers, so your idea to power the door subs and upper front door speakers from a larger amp should work good. But, it may be difficult to find a good spot to locate that amp. Your Sony should be driving the Infiniti speakers decently. You could replace the factory door sub amps with a small more powerful aftermarket unit to drive the Kickers. The Kickers come in a 2 ohm version. Look at Arc Audio KS Mini 125.2 that will put out 125W @ 2 ohms. It would have plenty of power for the Kickers.
Old 1/31/14, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I ordered everything to get me going on this stereo install. Here is what I got.

Kenwood KFC-P680C 6x8 speakers for fronts and rear
Kenwood KFC-W3013PS 12" Subwoofer for trunk
Kenwood KFC-XW800F eXcelon 8" Subwoofers for door
Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel amplifier (front and rear speakers and door subs)
Alpine MRP-M500 Mono Amplifier for trunk sub
Subwoofer enclosure from Zenenclosures for the trunk.

The fun part is going to be the install. I am toying with relocating the HVAC controls to the glove box and then mount a Nexus 7 in the spot of the double din and then mount the Sony MEX-GS600BT head unit where the HVAC controls go. I am going to fab up a custom radio bezel for the tablet and HU from some 1/8" ABS plastic sheets, then get it all prepped and ready to get hydro carbon dipped again, so that is matches everything else.