05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

New Head Unit Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/08, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Head Unit Install Questions

I just bought a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD and ordered the harness from crutchfield. My stock setup was the Shaker 500 system and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. Every time I start my car, the speakers pop....what could be causing this and how can I make it stop? Its rather annoying lol

2. There are two remote wires coming off the harness that contains the RCA plugs....do I need to connect both to the remote on the Head Unit?
Harness:http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...977&tab=review

3. I have actual "sound" coming out of my subs rather then just bass causing my sound to be all deep and gross! Any ideas?

Thanks alot in advance! Im sorta new to the Audio end of cars and these issues are driving me crazy
Old 5/19/08, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suspence
1. Every time I start my car, the speakers pop....what could be causing this and how can I make it stop? Its rather annoying lol
If I recall correctly you need to install a variable resistor on the remote power-on lead to get rid of the pop.

2. There are two remote wires coming off the harness that contains the RCA plugs....do I need to connect both to the remote on the Head Unit?
Harness:http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...977&tab=review
The RCA plugs are the outputs to your subs. If you want to use your sub's then you need to connect them to the subwoofer outputs on the head unit.

3. I have actual "sound" coming out of my subs rather then just bass causing my sound to be all deep and gross! Any ideas?
Hmm... Sounds like something MAY be mis-wired! Have you double-checked to insure that all wires are spliced correctly?
Old 5/20/08, 10:04 AM

thanks for the response!

Ill have to get in there today when i get home and check the stuff out. It was pretty hot yesterday and didnt feel like messing with it.

U mention a resistor on the remote wire. Any idea as far as what exact resistor I would need?
Old 5/20/08, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at this link. It explains the use of the 12V to 5V transistor from Radio Shack. The write up is not on a Mustang, but it's the identical process...

http://www.dennisjudd.com/archives/000947.html

Mike
Old 5/20/08, 06:02 PM
V6 Member

try to disconnect the rca cable at the amp turn on the deck see if you still here the pop when you start the car if so try a different power on wire to the amp off/on your acc powers on only when the car is on leave the rca's off for now if it still pops this may be an issue with the amp's internal power supply but if the pop went away with the rca's off
you may have a bad rca cable shield or an bad soder in the amp at the rca connector
Old 5/21/08, 09:13 AM
GT Member

Just out of curiosity, and I know that his is mentioned in another thread but is it possible to use the stock Sirius antenna when installing this head unit. I know that you need to purchase the the Sirius Antenna and Pioneer Adapter (CD-Sb10) as well as the Tuner but can you use the stock antenna or do you have to use the Mag mount antenna included with the tuner?
Old 5/21/08, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
suspence , I just installed the same unit in my car a couple of weeks ago and you need a 5V voltage regulator to stop the popping sound. Look in the GT performance section for TacoBills Hot Links and it's the one for the Alpine IVA-W205 install. The RCA inputs for the subs are connected to the RCA inputs on the head unit for the rear speakers. There's a setting in the system menu that makes the unit either put out the sound for rear speakers , probably what you're getting , or put it out for a sub in mono.

Last edited by 05YellowGT; 5/21/08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 5/21/08, 12:17 PM

wow! thanks for all the input guys!

@ 05YellowGT: Its great to see that someone else has the same HU lol Ill have to go get that regulator. Wish i would have known i needed one then I could have got them when I bought the pushbutton switch for the dvd playback!

just alittle side question for ya yellow, are you able to play videos via the USB cable?

@ norm1961: Sorry I really have no clue. I used to have Sirius but that was before I got the mustang and as far as I remember, when I bought a different radio it used the same antenna connection but dont quote me on that.
Old 5/21/08, 01:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
The only thing I've hooked up to the USB was a thumb drive with MP3's on it ... Did you use a momentary push button switch for DVD ? I put in a standard on/off switch and I have to remember to turn if off , does the push button have to be turned off too. I did find a good location for the switch though , right next to the radio ...
Attached Thumbnails New Head Unit Install Questions-pioneerradio.jpg  
Old 5/22/08, 10:25 AM

dear lawdzz!!! Those air vents look awesome and I love the carbon fiber dash. how much that run ya?

For the dvd i used this button from radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ab=custRatings

and to answer your question you DONT have to turn it on or off. only have to push it when you wish to watch dvds....its great! Ill take pictures of my set up when i get home so you can see mine.

I still need to get into the dash and fix those RCA's! those door subs are really bugging me now haha
Old 5/23/08, 06:10 AM

Sorry about the quality i had to use my old camera...cant find my other one
Attached Images   
Old 5/24/08, 01:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Norm1961
Just out of curiosity, and I know that his is mentioned in another thread but is it possible to use the stock Sirius antenna when installing this head unit. I know that you need to purchase the the Sirius Antenna and Pioneer Adapter (CD-Sb10) as well as the Tuner but can you use the stock antenna or do you have to use the Mag mount antenna included with the tuner?

I used the stock antenna on my Sport Trac (same as the Stang). It has a yellow plastic casing around the mini-coax connector (think F-cable but tiny). This can be removed and it will plug right in.
Old 5/25/08, 11:35 AM

ok so I fixed the "subs sounding like spekers" problem which was simple because i had the RCA's in the wrong plugs lol but now it sounds alot better

gonna be a few days before i get to the popping noise as my dad has my solder so it will be a miracle of god trying to get that thing back.
Old 5/25/08, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

The voltage regulator CAN be done with crimps, but soldering is 100% easier with those tiny legs.
Old 5/28/08, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Norm1961
Yes, you can use the stock antenna. Infact, I just used the stock sirius antenna when I installed my pioneer head unit with XM. You will need to pry the plastic housing off of the antenna's connection, but after you do that you can plug it right in.
Old 7/17/08, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, I was thinking of picking this unit up today as it's on sale but Crutchfield in Canada doesn't carry Pioneer for some reason. Is there anything special about the harness set that they provide over what I could get from a local stereo shop or a Best Buy?
Old 7/17/08, 02:49 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm pretty sure its just a Scosche harness. All you need is model # of harness and you could find it elsewhere.
Old 7/17/08, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Gary!
Old 7/17/08, 03:35 PM
Post *****

Well I looked on Crutchfield and this is the part, but it only gives their model # not the manufacturers part #

This is for '06 Mustang with Shaker 500

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...px?i=120705521
Old 7/17/08, 03:43 PM
Post *****

This from Scosche site looks like it is it. Is this right Infinity?

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID.../productID/581

Quick Reply: New Head Unit Install Questions