05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

New Blue Tooth hands free option - feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/07, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Blue Tooth hands free option - feedback?

I just noticed that Ford is now offering a hands free mobile phone option that works with Blue Tooth phones. Anyone have any comments on this? It's a $400 option and I am getting ready to submit my order. I love the idea of hands free with using the Mustangs Shaker 500 audio system for conversations. They have also added a navigation system, but at $2k it looked very overpriced for the unit displayed.
Old 1/20/07, 08:31 PM
GT Member

400!!!! For hands free calling!!! Just make sure that is worth 400 to you. 100 seems a bit more reasonable to me. Haven't seen anyone here ever talking about it and I'm guess it's because of the cost.
Old 1/21/07, 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

well just too let you know this is not new. It has been available since day one. I ordered one for my 05 mustang. It was great. I loved it. I would say its up too you wether its worth it or not. It was for me, but I love gadgets. I think if I put one in my 06 though I will be looking at the parrot etc. They are several systems out there for about half the price. Motorola,parrot etc. These are the companies that probably made it for ford anyway, they also hook into your shaker and speakers. Just have to make sure thats an option before buying. There is a topic on this somewhere that we were discussing the different ones available, if you do a search you can probably find it, good luck, but yes bluetooth to stereo hook up is awesome, and safer than driving and using your phone otherwise.
Old 1/21/07, 08:07 AM

I have hands free in my other car and it works great. Im going to add it to my mustang as soon as i find one i like.
Old 1/21/07, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford bluetooth solution available as an option from back in 05 was the Mobile-Ease kit. I've got one in my 05 and it works OK. I'd say its well worth the price but I'm one of those people who hates having to juggle a phone on my ear at 70mph.

Personally I think it ought to be illegal to operate a motor vehicle while talking on cell a phone without some sort of hands-free kit... but thats a rant for another time.
Old 1/21/07, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know how it hooks up to the stereo? reason I ask is that I have the Sirius upgrade plugged in the back of the unit right now.
Old 1/21/07, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the replies. I just saw this for the first time on the Ford Vehicles site (where you can build and option your car). I have used this site many times before to select options etc, but never saw it which made me think they just started offering this. I am fine with the cost as long as it is quality and works well. I use my cell alot and would love to have the hands free option and figured factory installed is even better. I will have the Shaker 500 with Sirius option as well. Nothing complained about incompatibilities on the Ford builder site, so I assume they are compatible. Can someone confirm this is a factory installed option, not a dealer installed?
Old 1/21/07, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jcode68
Thanks for the replies. I just saw this for the first time on the Ford Vehicles site (where you can build and option your car). I have used this site many times before to select options etc, but never saw it which made me think they just started offering this. I am fine with the cost as long as it is quality and works well. I use my cell alot and would love to have the hands free option and figured factory installed is even better. I will have the Shaker 500 with Sirius option as well. Nothing complained about incompatibilities on the Ford builder site, so I assume they are compatible. Can someone confirm this is a factory installed option, not a dealer installed?
I just checked the Ford website. The bluetooth is not listed as a factory option that I could find. There are multiple manufacturers of bluetooth handsfree units that you could put in the car later. I put in a Motorola unit and could not be happier. Well, when the top is up anyway. hehe.

As a side note, I noticed the base GT premium verts price is a few bucks shy of my mostly fully loaded 05. wow! Talk about price increases.
Old 1/21/07, 06:35 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look under accessories in the options section when you do a "build your vehicle"

It's a $395 option It's called Mobile-Ease Hands Free for owner supplied blue-tooth enabled cell phones.
Old 1/21/07, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

yes it seems you can build it with these items sold to you, but it is still being installed at the dealer, even the remote start option now available as well. But they offer that option on sirius equipped cars as well, so I think it just taps into one of the plugs, probably is an adapter for it to plug into good luck.
Old 1/22/07, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its a dealer installed option and thats one reason i didnt get it. There are a lot better and cheaper units out there. I didnt really like teh looks of the mobilease unit either with the wire sticking out etc. Just my personal opinion but for the $$ you could do better
Old 1/23/07, 02:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cruisin
Its a dealer installed option and thats one reason i didnt get it. There are a lot better and cheaper units out there. I didnt really like teh looks of the mobilease unit either with the wire sticking out etc. Just my personal opinion but for the $$ you could do better
Anyone have a picture of what this Mobile Eas looks like installed? I had assumed it was invisible. What exactly do you see? Is the wire you are talking about for a mic or antenna for Blue Tooth? I just ordered my car with this option, but still have time to change the order if this thing is ugly. Thanks.
Old 1/23/07, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

On a different vehicle but you get the idea. it just wasnt workin for me. i think they generally install them near the radio. Thats a pic of the actual unit installed
Old 1/24/07, 10:19 AM
V6 Member

Yup, that is pretty freakin ugly and will be dropping this off the options list. Anybody got a reccomendation for aftermarket hands free with Blue Tooth? I'm not hung up on this being a factory or dealer installed option. In fact, I opted to NOT order the factory alarm system since for the $400 I know I can get a better unit installed from the aftermarket. Curious as to what others have done on this front as well.
Old 1/24/07, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Post up what you do come up with, both Motorolla and Parrot have nice units. I think the hardest part is making a nice clean factory style install without having that tacked on look. There was another thread we had started about this where I put some pics of a unit or two I had thought about
Old 1/24/07, 03:24 PM
V6 Member

I am now looking at the Parrot 3200 LS model. It has some really nice features and is half the price to boot. Still have to deal with mounting the interface, but at least it is small, good looking and more functional than the one offered by Ford. Would love to hear from anyone with experience installing one of these in a Mustang. My car won't arrive for a couple of months, so it will be a while before I can share any stories.
Old 1/24/07, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Parrot 3000 EVOLUTION

I was thinking about this one but that unit you posted up looks good too. Hard to integrate these. I really dont mind cutting anything to make it look good and keep it functional. I just dont like the tacked on look. Cant believe no one has installed any
Old 1/24/07, 11:49 PM
Cobra R Member

well as far as the comment about the factory alarm. I dont know how many alarms you have had, but every aftermarket alarm I had sucked big time. Yah they had a lot of features etc, but sensitivity and just Going off all the time etc. If I were you I would order factory alarm, they have inside sensors, glass breakage, tow away sensors etc, and you wont here it going off all night like the others in rain, or when a truck drives by etc. I am more than happy having the factory alarm and key fob all in one. You can still add the remote starter etc. Anyway I love the factory alarm, does what it is supposed to, goes off when its supposed too, and not when its not supposed too. but too each his own. I will definitely be trying a parrot of some sorts, I have heard good things about them. Just make sure you get the one that has the stereo hook up option, as I was looking at them before and not all of them had that, just the higher priced ones of course. see ya good luck
Old 1/24/07, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most alarms can have their sensitivity adjusted on the knock sensor, not too much work, just turn the ****. I like my compustar as it has a pager, so I know when its going of and Im not within ear shot. Some how that gives me more peace of mind. Def. get a bluetooth unit that connects to the stereo, without that its as useless as speakerphone on the highway.
Old 1/27/07, 10:09 AM
Cobra R Member

well here is a couple of parrots, that look awesome, the 3200LS-color and 3100. I think when I am ready I will be trying the nicer 3200 unit. Hope these help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9fzGnis...arch=bluetooth

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9fzGnis...arch=bluetooth

OH yah youll need this harness, I spoke with rep and asked if it would work with satellite, he said it showed no difficulties with the shaker 500 and factory satellite. So should be able to unplug the wiring and piggy back again to the harness. Heres the harness that he said works with the 06 and 07, since the 07 is the one with satellite mostly,LOL.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9fzGnis...50&I=120BT5520

Quick Reply: New Blue Tooth hands free option - feedback?