05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

My new Stereo is IN!

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/05, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you guys are sick of me posting about my pending audio install, but it's finally in and I am GLAD. I had it professionally installed, but I bought all the parts myself on the internet to save cost. The installed parts are:

Alphasonik PSW410 10" sub
Alphasonik PMZ12005A 5-channel amp
Alphasonik PCT6551 3-way component speakers (front)
Alphasonik PF68C 6x8" 2-way component (rear)
Kenwood KDC-X579 head unit
Kenwood KCA-iP500 ipod control interface
Kenwood Sirius radio adapter & antenna

I originally wanted to get the Kenwood 7015 double DIN LCD head unit, but my dad had the deck listed above and gave it to me for free since he bought a new car. Since the 7015 is a pretty old deck, I am going to take the freebie and wait (and save) until something new comes out to replace the 7015. Everything else is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

I didn't want to wait for the custom molded sub boxes to come out for the mustang or pay the price for one, so I built a sealed enclosure that tucks into the side of my trunk (where the shaker1000 normally goes). I also built a wall on the left side covered in carpet to hold the amplifier. The installer charged a pretty penny to get everything run ($500 or so), but it is amazing how good a job he has done. You can't see any wires, the crossovers are nicely hidden, the 3-way speakers were tucked into the doors for a stock look (using custom made downsizing plates), and the ipod connection was put into the center console storage between the seats.

The only problem I have, which I will address with them monday, is that I have a very high pitched sound coming from the speakers when the engine is on. The sound goes away when it is off, and it also goes away when I turn the head unit on. However, the sound is not present when the head unit is on and the car is off. I believe this is some sort of electrical interference from the engine compartment.

Anyway, the sound is AMAZING. I can crank it up so loud without any distortion. I haven't tweaked the sound completely, but it is such a clean sound overall. A friend of mine just called it "perfect!" The bass is there, but not booming or earth shattering, and the midrange/highs are just amazing. I highly recomend these speakers for anyone looking for a quality replacement. I will post pictures of my install as soon as I get a chance, but for now checkout my new woven glass speakers:

Old 4/24/05, 04:38 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Congrats on the new set up. Did you put the 6x8s where the door subs were or did you have the stock stereo?

Originally posted by oatmeal@April 24, 2005, 12:37 PM
The only problem I have, which I will address with them monday, is that I have a very high pitched sound coming from the speakers when the engine is on. The sound goes away when it is off, and it also goes away when I turn the head unit on. However, the sound is not present when the head unit is on and the car is off. I believe this is some sort of electrical interference from the engine compartment.
It sounds to me like you have the power and RCA's running down the same side of your car. For some reason this causes feedback (squeeling). Try having the power and RCA's running down opposite sides of the car. Or at least as far apart as possible.
Old 4/24/05, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll talk with the install shop about how they ran the power line. I'm sure it has to do with some sort of electrical interference. But, if the issue was that the amp power line is near the speaker wires you would have the squeeling while the car is turned off as well. However, it completely goes away if I play my stereo with the car turned off.

As for the 6x8's, I had them installed on the rear deck. The crossovers for them are mounted in the "ceilling" of the trunk. On the support beam that is horizontal.

The 3-way speaker setup I have in the front is a combo of 6.5", 5.25", and 1" tweeter. The latter two are mounted in the 5x7" opening of the door, and the 6.5" is mounted where the sub goes using a down-sizing plate and shim.
Old 4/24/05, 08:09 PM

Old 4/24/05, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm working on it, I swear!!! I'm stuck in the office (work second shift).
Old 4/24/05, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you getting any sound from your sub like you are from your speakers in that same situation? It sounds almost like your amp is not turning off and is looking for a signal to send out.
Old 4/25/05, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't really tell if the sound is coming from the sub, but I doubt I would ever be able to tell. The sound is at a very high pitch. My dad couldn't even hear it. Then again, he is a vietnam vet=)

My amplifier actually powers ALL my speakers. The high pitch only goes away when I either turn the car engine off and let the stereo run from the battery, or turn the head unit off while the car is running. So essentially my whole audio setup can run perfectly without the noise if I leave my car off. Once the engine is going, I can hear the high pitch noise. However, it is mostly noticable during low to no volume conditions since it will blend in with the music otherwise.

I hope to give it to them later this afternoon, so I will let you guys know what is going on.
Old 4/26/05, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Generally, that will be alternator whine. It comes in from the power feed and gets picked up by the signal feeds or simply doesn't get filtered out by the amps power supply section. Very common. And very irritating. It could also be caused by ignition noise (given the coil on plug arrangement, that should not be a problem) which is usually more of a high frequency "popping" noise instead of a stead whine that varies with engine speed.

Make your installer fix it. He did NOT do his job properly if you have whine and you should not pay him one red cent to fix him mistake. Good luck.
Old 4/27/05, 03:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

i cant believe they charged you 500 bucks to do this install, at most i would say 300 and if you payd that much then you should make them fix that noise which is most likely comeing from the power wire to the amp being run next to the RCA for the amp

i ran all my wires for my indash screen down the center of the car to the trunk and had the whole interior gutted including the seats the brain is mounted under the rear deck lid, and my power wire for my amps is run down the passenger side, then of course the amps plug into the brain in the trunk so the rca's are only about 2 feet long and no where near my power wire
Old 4/27/05, 01:49 PM

That noise you are hearing is from alternator whine. It is because your ground wire from your amp is too long. You need to ground the amp as close to the amp as possible.
Old 4/27/05, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks dallasmustang, I will talk with them about it... see if that might work out. I see them this next monday. I have school in the morning and work 3-midnight... so it's hard to find time for pictures. I swear I will get them up tho!
Old 4/28/05, 07:53 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by dallasmustang@April 27, 2005, 12:52 PM
That noise you are hearing is from alternator whine. It is because your ground wire from your amp is too long. You need to ground the amp as close to the amp as possible.
Good point. I didn't even think of that.
Old 4/29/05, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Ground loop isolator, the quick and dirty fix. I bet the whine changes pitch or volume with engine rpm's...
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=270-054

On some cars it never goes away, but by lowering your gains, seperating power and signal wire, proper grounding, shielded rca's and that $16.99 part the dentist drill should be silenced.

/jealous of ipod interface
Old 4/29/05, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the boost of confidence everyone, sounds like it should be an easy fix. And, the ipod interface is cool -- so long as you setup your playlists ahead of time.
Old 5/2/05, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

and the pics?