05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LUCKY Gets Wired!

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/05, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive the crudness of my chop, but I'm doing a little more thinking about places to mount a sat radio tuner.

My wife is feeling a little picky. She wants to have access to the tuner too. That is drastically restricting my options of places to put the tuner. I may still put it where you did Celtic, but I'm toying with some other ideas.

I'm really getting serious about Sat radio now. My 'rents have it and I could get in on their family plan. This could mean a pretty darn cheap monthly rate for me. All I need is the equipment. I could probably even do the install myself if I pick a good location for the tuner.

Anyways. Without further adieu, Here's my crude little chop of the interior with the XM in a location I am thinking about. What do you guys think? :notnice: ?

[attachmentid=29300]
Old 8/2/05, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Phillip, Hubby installed mine between the 2 vents on the dash......I love the location!
Old 8/4/05, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I guess I'm pretty torn. I love the clean look of the interior and I don't want to disrupt the metal of the IUP. Yet, I want the functionality. I'm torn. I think in looking at the dash mount several times (the one I posted up), I don't much care for that. That leaves only the one you posted up Carol, or Celtic's original idea (which makes wife sigh heavilly every time it is mentioned because she can't mess with it ). :bang: what to do what to do. Not many more options than that that will keep a clean looking interior. There's just not much of anywhere else to mount the thing. My parents got one of those car docking kits - it's a huge arm tacked onto the dash. I'm DEFINATELY not doing that!
Old 8/4/05, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix+July 13, 2005, 9:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SixtySix @ July 13, 2005, 9:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>A pic of my wife laughing it up on one of our pony rides

And her getting in on the action

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-StangerX
@August 2, 2005, 12:03 PM
Forgive the crudness of my chop, but I'm doing a little more thinking about places to mount a sat radio tuner.

My wife is feeling a little picky. She wants to have access to the tuner too. That is drastically restricting my options of places to put the tuner. I may still put it where you did Celtic, but I'm toying with some other ideas.

I'm really getting serious about Sat radio now. My 'rents have it and I could get in on their family plan. This could mean a pretty darn cheap monthly rate for me. All I need is the equipment. I could probably even do the install myself if I pick a good location for the tuner.

Anyways. Without further adieu, Here's my crude little chop of the interior with the XM in a location I am thinking about. What do you guys think? :notnice: ?

[attachmentid=29300]
[/quote]

What happens when the airbag deploys and it gets punctured by your sat radio? Might not get punctured but do you really wanna find out the hard way by putting it infront of the deployment area of the passenger front air bag?
Old 8/14/05, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I really like the location of mine......I can see it or better yet just use the remote for it and not take my eyes off the road. It's not touching the vents, either.
Old 8/15/05, 09:01 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@August 4, 2005, 9:42 AM
What happens when the airbag deploys and it gets punctured by your sat radio? Might not get punctured but do you really wanna find out the hard way by putting it infront of the deployment area of the passenger front air bag?
Just out of curiousity, what does pictures of my wife driving "Rosie" have to do with this topic :scratch:
Old 8/17/05, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Just of curiousity, what does pictures of my wife driving "Rosie" have to do with this topic
Old 8/25/05, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by 2k5conv@May 31, 2005, 9:40 PM
Very nice. I don't have IUP so here's what Circuit City did. Used the FM modulator also.
Looking at the pics, it looks like you have a vert too.. where did they run the antenna wire??? I want to put mine on the trunk as well.

Thanks

Jim
Old 8/26/05, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been reading all the posts about the Commander here. I had a SkyFi2 installed in my Focus and had to think a lot about how to wire it into my Mustang. I tried one of the windshield mounts for a couple weeks but got tired of it obstructing my vision. I found a mount custom-made for the Mustang by a company called Kuda. They have a direct web site, http://kuda-phonebase.de, but they often list on eBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-CELL-P...sspagenameZWDVW

The nice thing about this mount is that no holes need to be made in the dash. That was a big deal to me. Just screw the base of the XM unit to the Kuda mount. The XM unit is easily removable when you park somewhere you need to worry about it.

The next big issue for me was antenna placement. I had issues with the antenna mounted inside the window, so I ended up mounting it on the trunk deck initially. I had problems with it scratching the paint on the Focus, so I wanted to avoid that if possible. I got some 3M automotive double-stick and found a place to mount it on the rear window. No scratching!

The last issue I had was the obtrusive power supply plugged into the center dash outlet. Just plain ugly! I went to the local Napa store and bought a 12V lighter assembly, crimp connectors, wire tap connectors, and 18-guage wire. I removed the glove box giving me easy access to the harness at the back of the 12V accessory plug. I tapped into the wires (making sure the polarity was correct because you'll blow the accessory or XM power cords' fuses) and plugged them onto the 12V adapter. I was able to hide the power cord behind the Kuda mount and up inside the dash. The XM unit looks pretty good mounted where it is and there's no damage to my dash. I'll post pictures as soon as I can if anyone's interested.
Old 8/26/05, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by panamajk89@August 26, 2005, 7:17 PM
I've been reading all the posts about the Commander here. I had a SkyFi2 installed in my Focus and had to think a lot about how to wire it into my Mustang. I tried one of the windshield mounts for a couple weeks but got tired of it obstructing my vision. I found a mount custom-made for the Mustang by a company called Kuda. They have a direct web site, http://kuda-phonebase.de, but they often list on eBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-CELL-P...sspagenameZWDVW

The nice thing about this mount is that no holes need to be made in the dash. That was a big deal to me. Just screw the base of the XM unit to the Kuda mount. The XM unit is easily removable when you park somewhere you need to worry about it.

The next big issue for me was antenna placement. I had issues with the antenna mounted inside the window, so I ended up mounting it on the trunk deck initially. I had problems with it scratching the paint on the Focus, so I wanted to avoid that if possible. I got some 3M automotive double-stick and found a place to mount it on the rear window. No scratching!

The last issue I had was the obtrusive power supply plugged into the center dash outlet. Just plain ugly! I went to the local Napa store and bought a 12V lighter assembly, crimp connectors, wire tap connectors, and 18-guage wire. I removed the glove box giving me easy access to the harness at the back of the 12V accessory plug. I tapped into the wires (making sure the polarity was correct because you'll blow the accessory or XM power cords' fuses) and plugged them onto the 12V adapter. I was able to hide the power cord behind the Kuda mount and up inside the dash. The XM unit looks pretty good mounted where it is and there's no damage to my dash. I'll post pictures as soon as I can if anyone's interested.

Ummmmmm.....YEAH!
Old 8/26/05, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll put them up tomorrow then. :P
Old 8/26/05, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the interior shots. I'll get the exterior shots during daylight.
Old 9/9/05, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by 2k5conv@May 31, 2005, 10:40 PM
Very nice. I don't have IUP so here's what Circuit City did. Used the FM modulator also.
The antenna is on the back deck just ahead of the trunk. The wire runs along the weather seal, along the wiring to the trunk lid, and into the car along the lower right trim. It then pops out and goes under the dash to the Terk which sits below the radio. Doesn't look too difficult.