05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LUCKY Gets Wired!

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/05, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by CelticCub@June 19, 2005, 1:53 AM
I think it's a beautiful thing!
As I said in an earlier post, you can keep the antenna out of the elements. Mine is on the package tray and I have three bars out of three 99% of the time!
Do you have tint on your back glass? I have 20% tint on mine. Will it still work with that?
Old 6/19/05, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

I haven't tinted my glass at all and I don't know how or if your reception would be affected by tinting the glass. I wouldn't think it would hurt your reception.
Old 6/19/05, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@June 19, 2005, 10:58 PM
I haven't tinted my glass at all and I don't know how or if your reception would be affected by tinting the glass. I wouldn't think it would hurt your reception.
I'd rather have it inside to keep it out of the elements and away from sticky fingers.
Seems like I'd read somewhere here that it could be used through the tint. I'll have to research this.
Old 6/20/05, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@June 19, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'd rather have it inside to keep it out of the elements and away from sticky fingers.
Seems like I'd read somewhere here that it could be used through the tint. I'll have to research this.
I really doubt the tint would adversely affect your radio reception, but I could be wrong.

Again, my antenna is resting on my rear package tray and I have no problems at all getting a clear signal.
Old 7/12/05, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Just started looking into Sat radio. My folks have XM, and are quite happy with it. I spend about 2 hours in my car every day. I took the liberty of making a comprehensive 6 disk set of MP3's. That is certainly captivating my musical interests for now, but it doesn't cover ALL of my musical tastes.

I am looking at your setup Celtic, and I must say, I'm impressed. That's a great way to have the system installed. My folks have the removable system in their car, and I can't say that I'd enjoy having that monstrosity in my new stang. Your install is clean and simple. The placement of the tuner is cool too. It's out of the way and yet easy to access.

Does the LCD have a backlight? Is it tied into the dimmer for nighttime driving, or is it on all the time (seems most logical)? Is the screen color adjustable?

Has anyone installed their antenna on the package tray WITH tint? If so, do you still receive good signal? I have 10% in the back (pretty darn dark), and I'm not sure if I would still receive good signal or not. I suppose I could have an installer test it first to see before running the final wiring.

I'm probably a ways off from installing sat radio IF i decide to go with it at all. I'm not sure if I even will yet. $13.00 a month is yet another bill, and while the service seems enticing, I just don't know if it's worth it or not. I doubt I'd use it in my house. I might use it at work to listen to some tunes, but mostly I'll listen to it for an hour in the AM and an hour in the PM as I come and go from work.

Anyone have any recommended reading? I'm just now embarking on my extensive research quest to see if Sat radio would fit for me. I usually spend months researching stuff, so trust me when I say I'm in no hurry to rush out and buy today!

Thanks in advance for any answers you folks provide.

EDIT: Forgot to ask Celtic, does the tuner interfere with the lightswitch at all? I'm looking at adding fogs to my V6 in the not too distant future, and will be removing the switch to either replace with a GT switch, or to add a switch to it like this:

It would be helpful to know if the tuner overlaps the switch at all and whether or not it would interfere with that install. That may dictate my timetable if I decide to try Sat radio.
Old 7/12/05, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice engineering!
Old 7/12/05, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I dug up images on bestbuy of the XM and Sirius car tuner units. They look about the same, so I'd imagine they'd install similarly. I suppose now it comes down to whether the unit overlaps the switch (could also opt for the less secure velcro option) and which channel lineup looks best. Lost of folks on both sides of the aisle. I suppose I'll just have to continue my research and find one that's best for me.

Old 7/12/05, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I have XM commander and hubby installed mine between the Vents on the dash....great place......you can still see where you're going if you glance at it.
BTW....they do NOT touch the outside rim of the vents at all.
See post # 38 on this thread for pics.
Old 7/13/05, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Carol, You mentioned that you have 20% on your back glass, did you move your antenna inside, or keep it outside as you had originally installed it?

I'm still kicking the ideas around with the wife, and I'm not sure whether or not I'll go with Sat Radio. She seems to think that 6 disks of MP3's are all we need. Me? I love too many different types of music to squeeze them all onto 6 disks. I keep mostly Alternative and classic rock on my MP3 CD's, but that excludes so many GREAT types of music (Jazz, Blues, Classical) and so many great album cuts. I keep a few of these songs on my disks, but not enough to satisfy all of my moods.

If I can get a good clean install setup like celtic and get someone to get it as a gift... I could probably swing it. My folks do have XM, so I could always piggy back on them for the discounted family plan rate. the extra savings would be nice.

Not to get OT, but for those that have XM and those that have Sirius, whare are the greatest differences? It sounds like most of it is sports stuff. The station I am most fond of on XM is "Deep Tracks". They play extended, rare and hard to find album cuts that you don't usually hear on the radio. It's like the progressive radio stations from the 60's. Anyone know if there is a comperable on Sirius?

Other than Howard Stern and some sports stations (none of which is of any interrest to me), what are the differences between the 2? I see lots of folks that Laud one above the other, but never much of a difference between them is mentioned.
Old 7/13/05, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Phillip,
We ended up putting the antenna outside on the trunk lid. Works fine there. Never tried it inside. Chris on this thread put his inside. I don't think he's having any trouble with it. Hubby has XM in his truck and he loves the Deep Tracks station....and any of those with classic rock, and the likes. He also listens to the races(Nascar) when we go out of town. It keeps him from having to change stations so much when the signal is lost. There are so many channels to choose from! Great songs, too. With CD's you have to listen to the same ones, over and over......with XM, different all the time. Sorry I can't compare the Sirius and XM cause we both have XM.
Old 7/14/05, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks a Bunch Carol. I'll keep doing my research. I know 2 friend that have Sirius and both are happy with it. My folks have XM, and I've listened to it quite a bit at their house when the wife and I go to visit. I suppose I just need to start paying closer attention to the channel variations to see what I like.

As for the antenna... I guess that will ultimately be an experiment in the installation. I'll probably have the installer test the antenna on the package tray before running the wires. If they can't get a good signal, they can put it outside.

If they get a decent signal strength, I'll have them leave enough cable to run out to the back (I'm not sure if they trim the cable or just tie it off), strap it up with wire ties, and then put the antenna on the package tray. I'll test it out for a bit and worse come to worse, I'll unstrap the excess, run it outside, and restrap.

Heck, I've run an entire custom wiring harness in my 66... I could probably do the whole thing myself so long as I knew how to take the plastic apart. Of course... I'd feel safer doing it myself than having some 15 year old pre-pubescent mope at bestbuy working for minimum wage put it in. (no offense meant to the 15 year old pre-pubescent's on the boards).
Old 7/14/05, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Phillip,
Hubby and 17yr old son did installation of mine. Did a great job......professional looking, IMO. Saved me $65. Bought the XM Commander(Brand New) off EBay for $99. They want $169 everywhere else. There was a lot of wire....I think the kit comes with extra ties. I did a search for the behind dash wiring so they wouldn't tear up my car installing it. Good Luck to you!! I'll see if I can find the post for the diagram for you if you like.
Old 7/14/05, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Phillip.....found thread for dash diagram if you're interested.......It's under Interior & Audio Mods.....Page 4......entitled "Help, Taking out radio, Don't want to break anything". Look at posts 4,5,&6. Hope this helps. It did for my hubby.
Old 7/14/05, 05:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love the Lemer Chris!
Old 7/14/05, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by darth-bob@July 14, 2005, 6:53 PM
Love the Lemer Chris!
Yeah, weird huh? I won the lemur at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. I hung it from the coat hook in my Audi for a few months, but I think he prefers to ride in the 'Stang. It flies when I drive with the windows down.

Philip, thanks for the comments. It took me a while before I decided on a place to install the controller. It doesn't interfere with the operation of the light switch at all. The unit is backlit. I've noticed that it reflects off the side glass at night. You can adjust the brightness on the display, so it's not too distracting. I'm used to it now. And when you're not listening to XM, you can shut off the power switch, which kills the backlight.

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase. When it comes to music, I like having options.
Old 7/15/05, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Amen to Musical options! I'm still in negotiations with the war department (AKA My wife). I'm sure we'll come up with a resolution in the coming months.

Thanks for the info Carol. I'll definately scour e-bay before purchasing. Hopefully I can find one on there too. Also, thanks for the other forum on taking things apart. That will definately help me out. If I get the go-ahead to tackle the project, I'll be sure to post pics for all to see.

Thanks so much for the info all. Very helpful! B)
Old 7/16/05, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangerX@July 15, 2005, 7:41 AM
Amen to Musical options! I'm still in negotiations with the war department (AKA My wife). I'm sure we'll come up with a resolution in the coming months.

Thanks for the info Carol. I'll definately scour e-bay before purchasing. Hopefully I can find one on there too. Also, thanks for the other forum on taking things apart. That will definately help me out. If I get the go-ahead to tackle the project, I'll be sure to post pics for all to see.

Thanks so much for the info all. Very helpful! B)
Glad I could help out......these forums really helped me, too...
Old 7/18/05, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Im still looking into what I want so far I am looking at the Pioneer AVIC-N2 In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Navigation Receiver with the GEX-P10XMT XM NavTraffic™ Digital Satellite Tuner but am leaning to onboard computer so I also can integrate OBDII Automotive Diagnostics software with all of the same options. I would rather have a profesional system but I think I can build what I want without deviating from the look of the interior upgrade package.

That means I will have to put together a computer into the dash the benefit would be large storage of mp3 and video on the hard drive more custom design and style add a tv fm tuner with Satellite Radio fm modulator, usb gps antenna with nav software, dvd ram instead of rom is a big plus, dual monitor video card for future upgrade of a second and posible third screen, as well as a wifi setup so I can surf the net and download tunes for the car which all can be done from the drivers seat.

guess I have a little time before I take delivery to research some more.
Old 7/18/05, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by CDGun@July 18, 2005, 9:54 PM
Im still looking into what I want so far I am looking at the Pioneer AVIC-N2 In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Navigation Receiver with the GEX-P10XMT XM NavTraffic™ Digital Satellite Tuner but am leaning to onboard computer so I also can integrate OBDII Automotive Diagnostics software with all of the same options. I would rather have a profesional system but I think I can build what I want without deviating from the look of the interior upgrade package.

That means I will have to put together a computer into the dash the benefit would be large storage of mp3 and video on the hard drive more custom design and style add a tv fm tuner with Satellite Radio fm modulator, usb gps antenna with nav software, dvd ram instead of rom is a big plus, dual monitor video card for future upgrade of a second and posible third screen, as well as a wifi setup so I can surf the net and download tunes for the car which all can be done from the drivers seat.

guess I have a little time before I take delivery to research some more.
WOW!!! That's a lot of Multimedia!
Old 7/25/05, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I've seen alot of posts about the Commander but I'm cheap and bought the Roadie 2. Does anyone know if the only way to power it through the cig. lighter? Anyone who has it instaled let me know. (I'm listening to xm right now )

Quick Reply: LUCKY Gets Wired!