05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LUCKY Gets Wired!

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/05, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Carol,

The system comes with the control panel, remote, antenna, FM modulator, satellite receiver, face plate, cables and mounting hardware.

By "tuner," if you are referring to the receiver, the installer secured it directly behind the environmental control dials, right beside the FM modulator and underneath the radio head unit. It sounds crowded, but you'd be surprised by how much empty space is behind the dash! The controller is easy to reach and easy to read. I had it mounted just above the headlight switch. Hope this helps!

Here's some of the stuff you get with the XM Commander system:
Old 5/31/05, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

By "tuner," if you are referring to the receiver, the installer secured it directly behind the environmental control dials, right beside the FM modulator and underneath the radio head unit. It sounds crowded, but you'd be surprised by how much empty space is behind the dash! The controller is easy to reach and easy to read. I had it mounted just above the headlight switch. Hope this helps!

Hey, Chris.....
That helps alot.....I guess I was talking about the black "box". I like where you mounted the radio itself. Great place for it. Hubby has an XM radio in his pickup, and we're able to listen to XM radio online....awesome!!
Old 5/31/05, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by CelticCub@May 29, 2005, 7:07 AM
Hey folks, I know this belongs in the Interior Mods section, and I'm sure our moderators will do their jobs and move it (as they should). However, I initially raised this topic in the 2005 Mustang section, so I thought it was appropriate to follow up here...

I just got XM Radio installed on my 2005 Mustang GT. It's seamlessly hard-wired into the car's Shaker 500 stereo system! I chose the XM Commander unit because it had great features and blended in well with my IUP interior. I agonized over whether I should cut a hole in the dash above the glove box and mount the controller with the supplied faceplate, but soon discovered that it would have meant cutting into a $1,500 dashboard assembly. I learned that the section I considered cutting was not separable from the dash; it was the main part of the assembly!

The installer did a great job tucking the wire out of the way and routing the antenna wire to the back package tray.

At the time of installation, there were no direct-line adapters for the XM receiver, so we went the FM modulator route.

RECEPTION IS GREAT!

Check out these pix and how well the XM radio and antenna blend in with the interior!
Very nice. I don't have IUP so here's what Circuit City did. Used the FM modulator also.
Old 6/1/05, 04:18 AM
Cobra Member

Nice, very handy location! Don't you love that low-profile antenna too?
Old 6/4/05, 12:54 AM
GT Member

Looks great, Chris.
Old 6/5/05, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

nice install. good planning.
Old 6/5/05, 02:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks to Chris I got my XM Commander installed today at Circuit City. I mounted mine exactly where Chris did and also went with the antenna on the rear package tray. I have XM in my work car and the antenna mounted on the roof HAS scratched the paint. I buy quite afew things at Circuit City so they gave me $30 off the price of the Commander and 10% off the install price. Since I am already a member I pay 6.95 a month on the family plan. OH YEAH, now I have Deep Tracks in the Mustang! :dance:
Old 6/6/05, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Glad you got wired, Rich. I bought a 3-year subscription when I got my '04 Audi and when I sold the car to buy the Mustang, I let the people that bought my car enjoy the XM until I was ready to put a receiver in my 'Stang. They loved XM because they live in a valley that doesn't get very good traditional radio reception.

I called them when I was ready to deactivate their receiver and activate service to my new receiver. They told me they are going to get their own subscription. They were hooked big time!

Whether you like XM or Sirius, satellite radio (forgive the pun) rocks! :rock:

I hardly ever listen to CDs or (God forbid) local commercial radio anymore.

I got another toy this weekend; an iPod Mini. I downloaded all of my music to my iPod and attached an FM modulator to it. So now I can broadcast all of my music on my car stereo using an open FM band! I'm in nirvana. Music everywhere I go! Life is good...
Old 6/6/05, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Chris......
Couldn't stand it any longer.....ordered an XM Commander the other day off EBay...
Said it shipped today....can't wait to get it installed in my Stang. I've been listening to the on-line version on computer....awesome!!
Old 6/6/05, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

That's great, Carol! I'm sure "Lucie" will appreciate it.

The Commander unit comes with alcohol wipes, wire ties and two small squares of double-sided tape. If you plan to mount the controller where I have, you can route the wire behind the dash by passing it between the lower dash and the lower left side of the left chrome trim ring. There are alternatives, but after a lot of experimentation, I found this location to be the best. Good luck!
Old 6/11/05, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@June 7, 2005, 1:06 AM
That's great, Carol! I'm sure "Lucie" will appreciate it.

The Commander unit comes with alcohol wipes, wire ties and two small squares of double-sided tape. If you plan to mount the controller where I have, you can route the wire behind the dash by passing it between the lower dash and the lower left side of the left chrome trim ring. There are alternatives, but after a lot of experimentation, I found this location to be the best. Good luck!
Thanks, Chris.....it came in yesterday, but we're going on vacation this coming week, and hubby said he'd install it when we got back, providing the weather is good. We have no garage. Hubby wants to use the AUX button to hook in to, but can't seem to find out what it's used for. I understand there's no input. Any ideas? Can't wait to listen to it!!
Old 6/11/05, 05:57 PM

What "accessory power" soource did you guys splice into so it turns on and off by the key? thanks in advance.
Old 6/13/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255+June 11, 2005, 2:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teddybear1255 @ June 11, 2005, 2:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hubby wants to use the AUX button to hook in to, but can't seem to find out what it's used for. I understand there's no input. Any ideas? Can't wait to listen to it!!
[/b]

Hey Carol,

I hope you and your husband have/had a great vacation! In the meanwhile, I wanted to share a link with you that might enable you to use the "AUX" button on your stock head unit. I hope it works. It's from another thread that I read. And I've been meaning to check it out with my installer, but haven't had the opportunity. I would like to bypass the FM modulator and wire the XM directly to the "AUX" button, but I've got to see what my installer says about the product mentioned in the link...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/link.cfm?...ail.aspx?ID=756

<!--QuoteBegin-originalplaid
@June 11, 2005, 7:00 PM
What "accessory power" soource did you guys splice into so it turns on and off by the key? thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I had a "professional" handle the installation since I hate the prospect of dealing with auto electric. However, I've scanned the wiring information the installer used, as well as XM's receiver installation directions. I hope you find this information useful! Good luck!
Old 6/13/05, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Here are XM's installation instructions:
Old 6/18/05, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Chris,
Thanks for all the useful info....we went to Branson,MO....had a great time.....it's XM Commander install day today....yeah!!!!! Beautiful day for that, too. Hubby's getting started in a few min. Waiting for son to come over to help.
Know of any diagrams of the dash/radio area?
Old 6/18/05, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@June 18, 2005, 8:45 AM
Know of any diagrams of the dash/radio area?
I don't have any diagrams of the Mustang dash. All I know is that there's a lot of open space behind that center stack control panel. I was surprised by how quickly the installers were able to remove the panel, the side panels, and the console. It was kind of scary, actually, seeing my car interior reduced to parts in just a few minutes!

The receiver itself rests behind the environmental controls, right alongside the FM modulator. Ironically, the thing that takes up the most space is the excess cable they provide with the XM Commander unit. The installer bundled them up and wire-tied them for neatness and compactness.

I still haven't had the opportunity to discuss the adapter with my installer. I've been too busy to get across town! I'll let you know if I hear anything. At any rate, I'm sure whatever you do today to get the XM working can be reverse engineered to accommodate any adapter.

Good luck with your installation!
Old 6/18/05, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Hubby and son are out there now disassembling(sp?) the dash for the install.....I don't even want to watch them!
Thanks again for all the info you've provided.....I'll post pics when they're finished.
Old 6/18/05, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Hubby and Son are now finished with the installation of the XM Commander!!
Now hubby has left in Stang to take son home. I'll take pics as soon as he returns!

I have pics now........what do you think??
Old 6/18/05, 11:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@June 18, 2005, 5:41 PM
I have pics now........what do you think??
I think it's a beautiful thing!

Enjoy your new satellite radio. I can't live without mine! How sad is that? CDs? Who needs 'em?

Seriously, that looks like a great installation. Very handy placement. My only concern is turning the air vents.

As I said in an earlier post, you can keep the antenna out of the elements. Mine is on the package tray and I have three bars out of three 99% of the time!

Tell your husband and son they did a great job. And thanks for the pix...
Old 6/19/05, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Chris...
I'm like you....I'm very grateful to whoever came up with XM Radio!!
We picked that location to mount it 'cause I can see it better at a glance. It's a great radio!!

Quick Reply: LUCKY Gets Wired!