05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/08, 09:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
Advance Auto Parts carries the lighting in stock in four colors: Blue, Green, Red and White. I am not sure if they come in other colors. I checked out Optx by StreetGlow's website and I could not find this paticular product listed. However they sell single LED's which come in other colors like orange, purple and yellow. I have no idea if the pods come in other colors too.

I posted earlier that I tapped into the PRND321 indicator light wiring in the console where the automatic shifter is located. That is the easiest location to get to. I am not sure if manual transmision cars have the wire there unused in the harness in he console. However if you remove the center stack trim place around the Audio and HVAC controls you can access night illumination wiring there.

I made another attempt to capture the LED pods lit up. It's really difficult but I did find a setting on my camera that takes pictures in "candlelight" or dark settings. They are kinda blurry but it was the best I can do. It's still hard to get the lighting to show against the all black interior. However they do look MUCH MUCH better in person.

If it were not for the MyColor Option I would probaby have used the green LED's. It still sucks that Ford did not include the rest of the illumination lights as color changeable. They would all look better blue instead of green. However if I had gotten a car with no My Color I would have been happy to make do with all green as it is 70's retro. I got lucky and found my car had the My Color installed. Nothing delights me more than getting the My Color, satin aluminum dash trim, leather steering wheel, and Bullit wheels all in one package already installed on the car.
Old 3/24/08, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about for the rear??
Old 3/24/08, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are mine. I bought the same ones and installed them a little different since I have manual trans. They are quite awesome!!!
Attached Thumbnails LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...-img_0088.jpg   LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...-img_0089.jpg  
Old 3/24/08, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
Here are mine. I bought the same ones and installed them a little different since I have manual trans. They are quite awesome!!!
Looks great!

I'm also considering this mod.

What did you do different for the manual trans?

Also, where did you mount them since pre 08 cars didn't have ambient lighting as an option?

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 3/24/08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 3/24/08, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Looks great!

I'm also considering this mod.

What did you do different for the manual trans?

Also, where did you mount them since pre 08 cars didn't have ambient lighting as an option?
I had a late production 07 so there were many of the 08 items on mine. I had the tabs for the ambient lighting under the footwells. Under the cup holder I have a plug that I believe is for the lighted cup holder so I used that plug to splice into for the lighting. If you have that plug the blue wire with the red stripe is linked with the running light switch. This was quite easy because of this.

On an actual 08 with the ambient light package the back seats are lit with two single LEDs that are on the backside of the counsel. The Optix LED pod has a total of 6 LEDs on it but it gives it the same output as the actual lighting package.
Old 3/24/08, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

So if I have an 05 auto what wire should I be splicing into?
Old 3/24/08, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a late production 07 so there were many of the 08 items on mine. I had the tabs for the ambient lighting under the footwells. Under the cup holder I have a plug that I believe is for the lighted cup holder so I used that plug to splice into for the lighting. If you have that plug the blue wire with the red stripe is linked with the running light switch. This was quite easy because of this.

On an actual 08 with the ambient light package the back seats are lit with two single LEDs that are on the backside of the counsel. The Optix LED pod has a total of 6 LEDs on it but it gives it the same output as the actual lighting package.
I'll have to check, thanks. Funny, I've had the console off for my Hurst shifter and did notice a harness thats not plugged into anything. I'll have to look. Geez, I wonder if there's another mod I can do while I have it off again????
Old 3/24/08, 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
So if I have an 05 auto what wire should I be splicing into?
Watchdevil would be best to answer that one. I believe that he has it listed in this thread, or was that an email he sent me. I don't remember. Check the thread and if it isn't send him a PM.
Old 3/25/08, 07:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Looks great man. You got better pictures of yours than I did mine. Mine look exactly the same lit up.
Old 3/25/08, 07:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Watchdevil would be best to answer that one. I believe that he has it listed in this thread, or was that an email he sent me. I don't remember. Check the thread and if it isn't send him a PM.
Since I have an automatic I just simply spliced into the wire that illuminates the PRND321 bezel. It's a small two wire harness all to itself with a blue and black wire. My car is an 08 and it was not pewired for ambient lighting so there is no extra harness under the cupholder. However, the brackets are in place on my car to mount the lighting under the dash. If you do not have the brackets, just simply go buy some simple flat small steel brackets from the hardware section of a home improvement store and mount one end to any of the screws along the underside of the dash panels then attach the light pod to the bracket. If you simply attach a light pod directly to the lower dash panel it will not aim the ligh correctly into the footwell.

If you have a manual transmission car without wiring for ambient lighting in the console, just simply pick up you night time illumination from any of the switches on either side of the 12V power point above the stereo head unit. If all else fails, pick up 12V from the dimmer switch mounted next to the headlamp switch.
Old 3/25/08, 07:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

On an actual 08 with the ambient light package the back seats are lit with two single LEDs that are on the backside of the counsel.
Do you know the exact location on the console where the LED's are mounted to light the rear?
Old 3/25/08, 12:32 PM
GT Member

There has beem previous discussion on which wire to tap into....my memoery is thst the blue/black wire under the console for the PRND auto illumination works for a manual trannied car as well....wonder if the blue red is present on a pre '08? Also, my '07 w/ a build date 0f 6/05/06 has the mounting points for the ambient lighting.

I've already added under dash courtesy lights using side marker sockets, but this might be cool for ambient while driving.
Old 3/25/08, 12:37 PM
GT Member

Has anybody added ambient lighting w/ a couple of LED's placed where the overhead courtesy lights go....not replacing them, just by drilling a couple holes and adding LED's....would seem simple enough to tie into the map lights.
Old 3/25/08, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
Has anybody added ambient lighting w/ a couple of LED's placed where the overhead courtesy lights go....not replacing them, just by drilling a couple holes and adding LED's....would seem simple enough to tie into the map lights.
Never mind....hooking into the map lights woudn't do it, would have to run wires up (down) the windshield post
Old 3/25/08, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Do you know the exact location on the console where the LED's are mounted to light the rear?
I have to go to the dealer to get my Fusion Key fob cut to my key so I can check it out when I go. I will try to sneak a photo also along with getting some measurements...

Last edited by Tungsten Bullitt; 3/25/08 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 3/26/08, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
There has beem previous discussion on which wire to tap into....my memoery is thst the blue/black wire under the console for the PRND auto illumination works for a manual trannied car as well....wonder if the blue red is present on a pre '08? Also, my '07 w/ a build date 0f 6/05/06 has the mounting points for the ambient lighting.

I've already added under dash courtesy lights using side marker sockets, but this might be cool for ambient while driving.
It's debatable if the blue/black wire for the automatic PRND321 indicator is tucked away in the forward part of the console for manual transmission cars. Tungsten Bullitt did not find it in his manual transmission car, yet his car was prewired for ambient lighting with the harness under the cupholder. My 08 had the brackets installed for ambient lighting under the dash with inactive wiring connectors close by, but no harness under the cupholder like Tungsten Bullitt had.

Good news for 2009 Premium package buyers! The ambiant lighting is grouped as standard equipment along with the Interior Upgrade Package. The Deluxe Mustang goes away and is simply refered to as a Base model.

I bought single blue LED lights from Optx. I am going to try to light up my cupholder when I have time.

Last edited by watchdevil; 3/26/08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 3/27/08, 03:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's debatable if the blue/black wire for the automatic PRND321 indicator is tucked away in the forward part of the console for manual transmission cars. Tungsten Bullitt did not find it in his manual transmission car, yet his car was prewired for ambient lighting with the harness under the cupholder. My 08 had the brackets installed for ambient lighting under the dash with inactive wiring connectors close by, but no harness under the cupholder like Tungsten Bullitt had.

Good news for 2009 Premium package buyers! The ambiant lighting is grouped as standard equipment along with the Interior Upgrade Package. The Deluxe Mustang goes away and is simply refered to as a Base model.

I bought single blue LED lights from Optx. I am going to try to light up my cupholder when I have time.
I noticed when installing my Hurst shifter that the connector is there in my manual, actually wondered what is was for since it wasn't being used. I picked up a couple of the Optix in blue yesterday, new weekend project!!!!!!

What gauge wire did you use to extend the short witrs that are on the pod to read your console?

As for the cup holder, I ran across another thread where someone did it, gonna look after this post. I noticed that he used resonators in the hot line to avoid "pop" and "sizzle"? Can anyone comment on this? Also, is this something I should be concerned with when I do the foot wells?

Found the thread here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...2nd+grade+wire

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 3/27/08 at 04:02 AM.
Old 3/27/08, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
What gauge wire did you use to extend the short witrs that are on the pod to read your console?

As for the cup holder, I ran across another thread where someone did it, gonna look after this post. I noticed that he used resonators in the hot line to avoid "pop" and "sizzle"? Can anyone comment on this? Also, is this something I should be concerned with when I do the foot wells?

Found the thread here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...2nd+grade+wire
I used 24 gauge speaker wire same as the wires off the LED pods. They draw very low voltage anyway and make for a cleaner installation.

As far as "pop" & "sizzle" I have not noticed any such problem. You should not be concerned at all with this happening with the footwells.

I have to think about where and how I want to mount the cupholder LED's. I need to position them so that they do not cause a distracting hot spot while driving. My idea for mounting them is to drill a small hole the same size as the LED and push it through the back side of the cupholder area.

I am thinking about doing the pockets in the door panels since they are useless for anything else anyway but there is no dimmable 12V source unless I run wire into the door. The lighting for the door switches are constant all the time with the key on, even when the headlght switch is off.

I like the Fusion key but I enjoy the slip-on Mustang key covers too much to switch to the Fusion key.
Old 3/27/08, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm thinking about the cup holder location as well. Wondering how they would work if I got one of the SHR cupholder inserts, which is on my to do list, but now not so sure...
Old 3/28/08, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well two days ago I proceded with my cup holder LED light. It is a single blue LED. I mounted it in the bottom center of the cupholder. I drilled a hole the size of the LED and pushed it through from the bottom. I secured it with adhesive glue so it can be removed if necessary to replace it.

One nasty thing I discovered wiring it up. I tapped into the same wire that was going to the RH footwell light. When I did this both footwell lights dropped voltage to where they would not come on, but as soon as I disconnected the cupholder light they came back on again. I decided to wire the cupholder LED directly to where I spliced into the PRND321 connector for the footwell lights and it worked perfectly.

I do recommend using large gauge wire from the splice into the PRND321 connector to the footwell lights as I believe there is a drastic drop in voltage using thin wire in a long run.

Also, one the wiring harness connector that supplies power to the PRND321 bezel and shifter interlock on automatic transmission cars, the wire for the PRND321 nighttime illumination is light blue/red on the supply side of the 9-wire connector harness while the connector that plugs into it uses a dark blue wire all the way to the PRND321 light. The black wire in the harnes remians ground.

I did not research the mounting location for the accessory ambient light kit from Ford well enough. Today I found that the add-on kit puts the LED on the vertical back side of the cupholder. I placed mine in the center bottom. An unintended effect is bright blue light casting on the map light console on the headliner. Also if you look directly down into the cupholder the blue LED will blind you. However it is not a distraction at all while driving.

Last edited by watchdevil; 7/22/11 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...