05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Kenwood DPX-701 Install

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/06, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood DPX-701 Install

I installed the DPX701 headunit, with 10 Disc CD Changer, SAT Radio and Ipod interface. All connect to Shaker 500 amps and speakers (Pioneer replacements 3way in doors and 2way in rear shelf. CD changer mounted in between rear shelf speakes with brackets inside trunk...
Lets see, in dash, G-Meter, HP meter, CD controls, 64 Color Display, SAT Radio controls, and Ipod controls.... hmmmmm

I love the system looks and sounds great.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YE8oWKu...01&i=113DPX701
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YE8oWKu...p?i=607SIRKEN1

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YE8oWKu...asp?i=113IP500
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YE8oWKu...p?i=113KDCCX87
Attached Thumbnails Kenwood DPX-701 Install-pict0134-medium-.jpg   Kenwood DPX-701 Install-pict0133-medium-.jpg   Kenwood DPX-701 Install-pict0128-medium-.jpg   Kenwood DPX-701 Install-pict0127-medium-.jpg   Kenwood DPX-701 Install-pict0126-medium-.jpg  

Old 10/11/06, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

Nice.. I'm doing the exact same thing, except instead of a 10 disc changer, I'm putting in a Keg. That way I can have all of my wife and I's (is that how you say it?) CD collection non-compressed all on a flash drive in the trunk. Then, of course, the head unit has a single slot if I ever need to put a CD in there.
Where did you run the cables? I'm putting the serius antenna on the rear deck between the speakers... and I had not thought about mounting the receiver where you put it (which is a good idea).. but did you run the cables up the center under the console, or did you follow the rocker pannels?

Oh.... and what dash kit did it come with? I don't want to buy from Crutchfield, (just 'casue I can get it much cheaper) and I will have to get a dash kit for the bezzel.
And.. the iPod control interface... does the iPod not work off the USB port on the front of the head unit?
Old 10/11/06, 01:42 PM
GT Member

cgallo: how do you like the Kenwood 701, in combination with your Shaker? Good sound?
Thinking about the 501 for my 06 GT.
Old 10/12/06, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by clintoris
Nice.. I'm doing the exact same thing, except instead of a 10 disc changer, I'm putting in a Keg. That way I can have all of my wife and I's (is that how you say it?) CD collection non-compressed all on a flash drive in the trunk. Then, of course, the head unit has a single slot if I ever need to put a CD in there.
Where did you run the cables? I'm putting the serius antenna on the rear deck between the speakers... and I had not thought about mounting the receiver where you put it (which is a good idea).. but did you run the cables up the center under the console, or did you follow the rocker pannels?

Oh.... and what dash kit did it come with? I don't want to buy from Crutchfield, (just 'casue I can get it much cheaper) and I will have to get a dash kit for the bezzel.
And.. the iPod control interface... does the iPod not work off the USB port on the front of the head unit?
IPOD Interface is controlled by the head unit, juste see's the IPOD as another Disk Changer and keeps the IPOD charged to boot.
You can get the dash bezel from crutchfied, and the wiring harness also
Old 10/12/06, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by lattjolarsson
cgallo: how do you like the Kenwood 701, in combination with your Shaker? Good sound?
Thinking about the 501 for my 06 GT.
Great sound, Shaker 500 amps are volume adjustable from headunit
Old 10/12/06, 06:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks really cool! Good features too
Old 10/13/06, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cgallo52
IPOD Interface is controlled by the head unit, juste see's the IPOD as another Disk Changer and keeps the IPOD charged to boot.
You can get the dash bezel from crutchfied, and the wiring harness also
do you have the part numbers for the bezel and the wireharness? I remember lookin' for those a few weeks ago, and there were so many conflicting stories.. I gave up.

thanks in advance.
Old 10/14/06, 10:05 AM

do you have the part numbers for the bezel and the wireharness? I remember lookin' for those a few weeks ago, and there were so many conflicting stories.. I gave up.

thanks in advance.
Harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YZQbO5K...21&i=120705521

Bezel
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YZQbO5K...07&i=120995807

both are included FREE if you buy the reciever from them..

Remember, you still need to wire up a 12V to 5V converter to Shaker amp control line (turn on). The shaker amps are controlled by +5V and most aftermarket units use +12V
Old 10/17/06, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks, I appreciate it...
I won't be buying from Crutchfield.. 'cause they're way expensive, but I know they obviously sent you the correct parts...

The shaker amp... where is it located? And which speakers are ampped by it? Is it just the 2 rear speakers? or the doors as well?
Old 10/17/06, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cgallo52
Harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YZQbO5K...21&i=120705521

Bezel
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YZQbO5K...07&i=120995807

both are included FREE if you buy the reciever from them..

Remember, you still need to wire up a 12V to 5V converter to Shaker amp control line (turn on). The shaker amps are controlled by +5V and most aftermarket units use +12V

Is that conveter from Cructhfield too?
Old 10/18/06, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

yup
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mN2edS5...asp?i=113IP500
Old 10/18/06, 11:04 AM
GT Member

Isnt that for the IPOD only?
Old 10/20/06, 07:21 PM

Nope, the "converter" I'm referring to is a simple Radio Shack purchased 7805 voltage regulator wired into the harness, takes the +12V amp turn on signal from the head unit and converts it to +5V so you don't get the "pop" when you turn on the radio
Old 10/30/06, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

Alright.. I put one in (a DPX-701) this weekend, and I'm havin' all kinds of issues. Besides that it took me all friggin' day, my rear speakers and upper door speakers are quiet as hell, and I can't figure it out. I moved the RCA wires that came with the wire harness kit from Crutchfield to the different pre-outs on the head unit. It still amped only the door subs.... so.... that completely drowns out the rear and upper door speakers.

My other issues are related to peripheral devices.... I can't get the satellite receiver (a Kenwood KTC-SR902) to cough up the ESN so I can register it.... but the head unit sees it and just says "no signal found" or "searching for signal".... I don't understand what the book is telling me when it gives instructions for retrieving the ESN.
My other problem is that I have a Kenwook Keg (KDC-CX901) which is slaving off the satellite receiver, and I don't know if the head unit sees it as an AUX device or if it sees a CD changer.... but I can't get that to come up either.. it powers up, but it acts like the DMS cartridge (like a giant PCMCIA/flash card) is corrupt.... so I'm still playin' with that.

How is yours working, cgallo52? Are all of your speakers working?
Old 10/31/06, 07:47 AM

I just installed a DPX-701 In My 06 Stang so I will try to lend you a hand.

There are Multiple settings that you need to go through on the headunit in order to get it to sound right. 1st. I would make sure that the internal amp is turned on. The way the Shaker 500 system is set up is that the headunit amp powers the doors and rear deck and the amps power the subs only.

So, after making sure that the Headunit amp is on, the second thing I would do is change the speaker setting. (in stand by, press the volume *** in and change the speakers setting over to 6x9)

After that, you need to set your EQ settings for each individual input source as they are all different.

Lastly, with the Headunit on, press the volume *** in once and you will come up with SW Level. I had to turn mine down to -7 to make it sound right.

When I first hooked it up it sounded the same way you are describing. After
Tweaking it, it sounds SOO much better than the Shaker. Give that a try and see what happens. oh and bty, read that manual! It helps! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

As for the Sirius, the package that it came in has the ESN on the back of it. that is the easiest way to grab it.

Alright.. I put one in (a DPX-701) this weekend, and I'm havin' all kinds of issues. Besides that it took me all friggin' day, my rear speakers and upper door speakers are quiet as hell, and I can't figure it out. I moved the RCA wires that came with the wire harness kit from Crutchfield to the different pre-outs on the head unit. It still amped only the door subs.... so.... that completely drowns out the rear and upper door speakers.

My other issues are related to peripheral devices.... I can't get the satellite receiver (a Kenwood KTC-SR902) to cough up the ESN so I can register it.... but the head unit sees it and just says "no signal found" or "searching for signal".... I don't understand what the book is telling me when it gives instructions for retrieving the ESN.
My other problem is that I have a Kenwook Keg (KDC-CX901) which is slaving off the satellite receiver, and I don't know if the head unit sees it as an AUX device or if it sees a CD changer.... but I can't get that to come up either.. it powers up, but it acts like the DMS cartridge (like a giant PCMCIA/flash card) is corrupt.... so I'm still playin' with that.

How is yours working, cgallo52? Are all of your speakers working?
Old 10/31/06, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Right on, Hase... thanks for the info. I tried reading the manual.. there was a lot to look at, and I had a lot goin' on... as well as don't understand the ish much, 'cause I've never really done this before... I've done small headunits with no amps, in an old beather that I cut the harness out of and all that ish, so doing it right is all new to me. Anyways... which preouts did you go to get the correct speakers ampped? I'll have to pull the head unit out again to see where I'm plugged into, but I thought I trie them all and it wasn't right... So, let me know where you put the little RCA pigtail off the amp, and I'll start with that, then mess with the speaker settings. 'cause right now, it's driving me nuts.. the sound is horrible, 'cause it's not separating the highs and lows enough... they're all going thru the same speakers and it sounds way worse than the shaker head unit.
thanks for your help.
Old 10/31/06, 11:11 AM

Page 54 of the users manual shows which rca's to hook up.

That should get you going. Believe me, once you get that worked out you will be suprised at how much better it sounds!

Right on, Hase... thanks for the info. I tried reading the manual.. there was a lot to look at, and I had a lot goin' on... as well as don't understand the ish much, 'cause I've never really done this before... I've done small headunits with no amps, in an old beather that I cut the harness out of and all that ish, so doing it right is all new to me. Anyways... which preouts did you go to get the correct speakers ampped? I'll have to pull the head unit out again to see where I'm plugged into, but I thought I trie them all and it wasn't right... So, let me know where you put the little RCA pigtail off the amp, and I'll start with that, then mess with the speaker settings. 'cause right now, it's driving me nuts.. the sound is horrible, 'cause it's not separating the highs and lows enough... they're all going thru the same speakers and it sounds way worse than the shaker head unit.
thanks for your help.
Old 11/1/06, 06:44 AM

Also forgot to tell you that you will need to adjust the low pass filter down to something south of 100 hz so that you don't have anything but bass coming from the subs.
Old 11/2/06, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

thanks again.... I played a little yesterday, but I'm gonna have to take it out to see which ports I have the RCAs in...
I did play with the filters a little and it cleaned up some... but I still have virtually nothing coming from the rear deck and the upper doors... so I'm gonne check my wiring. I ran a Monster cable last weekend, 'cause I do have another amp I am going to put in, and I might just finish that job while I'm in there... but yeah... good times. I'll get her knocked out. I still haven't got the ESN for my Sirius receiver.... can't get the head unit to display it, and I checked all of the packaging... it's not on there anywhere. I've had it for a couple of years.... just hadn't installed it... so all of the instructions in there ar fore head units that Kenwood doesn't make anymore. So, I sent them an e-mail to see what they say about it... but they've been super slow to respond.
Thanks for the help, though... I'll check back in with results (assuming I get any.... I'm not too bright.)
Old 2/2/08, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you need to use the wiring harness, or is it better to go without it?
Do you get more functions either way or a better connection?