05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Kenwood DNX7100 Head Unit Install / Part 3 of 3

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/07, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Kenwood DNX7100 Head Unit Install / Part 3 of 3

Here's the pdf file I wrote up on the install of my Kenwood DNX7100 head unit.

This is part 3 of a 3 part series...

http://www.hagshouse.com/My%20Mustan...ead%20Unit.pdf

I hope it helps...

hags1
Old 6/19/07, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow That's a Sweet write up Thank-You for sharing , it makes it look soo much easier when explained and viewed like that !
Old 6/19/07, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Please let us know what you think of the unit when you get a more in-depth chance to play around with all the features (DVD, Sirius, etc.) I'm strongly considering buying the DNX7100 and am anxiously awaiting a review of it! Thanks a lot for the installation write up and pictures!! Great job!
Old 6/19/07, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

wow my adobe said the file is damaged and could not be repaired, i hate when you upgrade and it messes up on you
Old 6/20/07, 04:13 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice setup

i was pretty sold on a 6 DVD changer (in dash) Kenwood Head unit with Garmin Navigation..
i loved the features.. turned it on and HATED the interface..
the basic interface was all purple text labels with green backgrounds.
the advanced interface had grainy green, blue and purple icons.

i don't understand why they build such nice capable hardware, but put on such ****ty software on it.

i couldn't even get a graphic equalizer on :S
Old 6/20/07, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bigmyke23
Please let us know what you think of the unit when you get a more in-depth chance to play around with all the features (DVD, Sirius, etc.) I'm strongly considering buying the DNX7100 and am anxiously awaiting a review of it! Thanks a lot for the installation write up and pictures!! Great job!
Will do....I changed the background picture last night...really easy to do.
The 7100 can hold three images for the background. I loaded the pictures in my jump drive, connected the jump drive to the 4 port USB hub in the arm rest glove box, went to the user interface and selected 'background image', loaded the three images off the jump drive and selected one of them for the new background....worked flawlessly......the best thing of all was I had the I-pod playing at the same time and the I-pod is connected thru the same 4 port USB hub, so I found out I can use the other ports on the 4 port USB hub at the same time.....that's pretty cool in itself....

hags1
Old 6/20/07, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hags1
Here's the pdf file I wrote up on the install of my Kenwood DNX7100 head unit.

This is part 3 of a 3 part series...

http://www.hagshouse.com/My%20Mustan...ead%20Unit.pdf

I hope it helps...

hags1
This is good work Dan, thanks. It's a big help for us guys & gals here
Old 7/8/07, 11:05 PM
GT Member

How do you like the DNX7100 so far, Dan? Pros? Cons? Also, where did you find that 4 port USB hub? I've been looking for it everywhere. Thanks!
Old 7/9/07, 02:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah and i wanted to ask if your trunk subs are still working and is there an option to turn them on or off, if there is none i hope it keeps them on, those things feed my bass addiction lol
Old 7/10/07, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

How do you like the DNX7100 so far, Dan? Pros? Cons? Also, where did you find that 4 port USB hub? I've been looking for it everywhere. Thanks!
Well I typed a nice long reply to your question, but when I hit submit reply the board had already timed out and I had to re-login...It didn't save my reply anfter I logged in again, so before it times out again, here's the short version...

7100 works great....love it....

4 port USB hub from showmecables.com, part #WH4H0

I guess I need to join the Team Mustang Source instead of being a joe blow member to avoid the time out issue with this particular board....man that's annoying when it does that.

hags1
Old 7/10/07, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
yeah and i wanted to ask if your trunk subs are still working and is there an option to turn them on or off, if there is none i hope it keeps them on, those things feed my bass addiction lol
The subs pound way harder then they did before and yes my trunk subs are working....You can turn the subs off too...

hags1
Old 7/10/07, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hags 1
When you ran the cable for the rear view camera did you use the cable that came with the camera or did you buy a new one?
I ordered my DNX7100 from ebay and I'm really getting anxious to put it in!!!
Old 7/11/07, 10:05 PM
GT Member

7100 works great....love it....
Thanks...that's exactly what I wanted to hear! As soon as I have enough money, I'm gonna pull the trigger on it!
Old 7/12/07, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Chip
Hags 1
When you ran the cable for the rear view camera did you use the cable that came with the camera or did you buy a new one?
I ordered my DNX7100 from ebay and I'm really getting anxious to put it in!!!
I bought a new cable since the one that comes with the camera is 60 feet long...I didn't want a balled up cable hiding somewhere in the car...seems like a sloppy install then....

hags1
Old 7/12/07, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Tried the USB port with an external hard drive loaded with music files last night....worked great....I had the I-pod still connected to the USB port and connected the hard drive in one of the other ports....the music from the hard drive played fine...now I have an 80 GB I-pod and who knows how big of an external hard drive I could add...

hags1
Old 7/13/07, 02:46 AM
GT Member

I bought a new cable since the one that comes with the camera is 60 feet long...I didn't want a balled up cable hiding somewhere in the car...seems like a sloppy install then....

hags1
Hags1 can you tell me what kind of cable and how long was it? I'm installing my new head unit this weekend but I don't have my backup camera yet, I would like to run the cable and I have no idea on what I need!!! How did you remove the side panel (by the back seat) to get the wires and cable into the trunk area?

Chip
Old 7/13/07, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

Hags, I forgot to comment on this, but SWEEET write-up. Very nicely done, and I wanted to add one thing. It isn't necessary to remove the shifter handle and boot. You can unclip the boot from the console and then simply tilt it sideways when you pull the console out. That 7100 is tight.
Old 7/16/07, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Hags1 can you tell me what kind of cable and how long was it? I'm installing my new head unit this weekend but I don't have my backup camera yet, I would like to run the cable and I have no idea on what I need!!! How did you remove the side panel (by the back seat) to get the wires and cable into the trunk area?

Chip
Hey Chris,

Sorry I missed this until today....The cable is 25' long and has BNC male connectors on both ends.

hags1
Old 7/16/07, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Hey Chris,

Sorry I missed this until today....The cable is 25' long and has BNC male connectors on both ends.

hags1

Hags1 isn't the plug on the DNX7100 for the rear view camera a female RCA? I ran a 20' video cable with male RCA connectors and it was just enough! I guess I might have to buy some adapters! I ordered my camera from Frys and I should get it any day now I really want to thank you for your write up it was a big help in my install. Love My DNX7100
Thanks again

Chip
Old 7/17/07, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Hags1 isn't the plug on the DNX7100 for the rear view camera a female RCA? I ran a 20' video cable with male RCA connectors and it was just enough! I guess I might have to buy some adapters! I ordered my camera from Frys and I should get it any day now I really want to thank you for your write up it was a big help in my install. Love My DNX7100
Thanks again

Chip
Yes, the 7100 plug is RCA, but the Lorex camera is BNC. They also give you an adapter for BNC to RCA, when you buy the Lorex camera, so I used that adapter at the 7100 plug and connected the BNC at the camera plug..

Glad I could help...

hags1

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX7100 Head Unit Install / Part 3 of 3