05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Intresting airbag question...

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/08, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intresting airbag question...(pics inside)

Well I have a 2007 Mustang GT that originaly had charcoal leather. I found someone a couple months ago (Subzero) who wanted to trade his crimson red, for mine. We did the swap (looks great), but I'm getting an airbag light on my gauge cluster. The reason for this is because on the passanger side seat, the airbag harness, does not physically mate up to the airbag harness running from underneath the carpet. I looked to see if I could splice into the wires, but there are different color codes and different amounts of wires. I'm not sure what to do...does anyone know?

Just to let you know, both are 2007 Mustang GTs.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by 07alloygt; 3/17/08 at 11:12 AM. Reason: New title
Old 3/16/08, 07:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 07alloygt
Well I have a 2007 Mustang GT that originaly had charcoal leather. I found someone a couple months ago (Subzero) who wanted to trade his crimson red, for mine. We did the swap (looks great), but I'm getting an airbag light on my gauge cluster. The reason for this is because on the passanger side seat, the airbag harness, does not physically mate up to the airbag harness running from underneath the carpet. I looked to see if I could splice into the wires, but there are different color codes and different amounts of wires. I'm not sure what to do...does anyone know?

Just to let you know, both are 2007 Mustang GTs.

Thanks so much!
Did the other car or yours have side airbags or heated seats?
That could be the difference.
What are the colors of the wires on each connector?
Old 3/16/08, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

These are good questions.

Both have side airbags.
I don't think he had heat seats but I can check.
When it is light tomorrow I will write down and put up all the colored wires.
Old 3/17/08, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are the pictures. Sorry, they are blury, it's hard to get under the seat to take a clear picture. lol As you can see, physically, the two harness do not mate up at all!

Last edited by 07alloygt; 3/17/08 at 11:28 AM.
Old 3/17/08, 04:22 PM

Here are the pictures. Sorry, they are blury, it's hard to get under the seat to take a clear picture. lol As you can see, physically, the two harness do not mate up at all!

That's because they aren't supposed to!!!!

I think the harness is backwards.
The connector on the right (gray) in the 2nd picture belongs down there.
The other one (black),I think connects to the bottom of the seat cushion.
If you find the other end it may answer a lot of questions.
Good Luck.
Old 3/18/08, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Haha well I know, that is my problem/question. I was wondering if I can splice into the wires just to get rid of the SRS Airbag light.

What do you mean I need to find that harness? As in it's in the car or what?

Thanks a lot!
Old 3/18/08, 06:41 PM

Haha well I know, that is my problem/question. I was wondering if I can splice into the wires just to get rid of the SRS Airbag light.

What do you mean I need to find that harness? As in it's in the car or what?

Thanks a lot!
Go hunting.
Just what I said.
The harness is backwards.
If you follow it back, you should find the other end that connects to gray connector.
Gray to Gray connector.
Black to the connector under the front of the seat cushion... (The seat cushion is probably not connected either right now.)
No splicing needed, just plug the connectors together that go together.
Old 3/18/08, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
Go hunting.
Just what I said.
The harness is backwards.
If you follow it back, you should find the other end that connects to gray connector.
Gray to Gray connector.
Black to the connector under the front of the seat cushion... (The seat cushion is probably not connected either right now.)
No splicing needed, just plug the connectors together that go together.

So you know for suer it's there if i take the seat out and look under the carpet?
Old 3/19/08, 02:18 PM

So you know for suer it's there if i take the seat out and look under the carpet?
You don't need to take the seat out.
Please, just get down there with a good flashlight and look at the wires coming from the seat.
Old 3/19/08, 05:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weird, i hope you get the problem figured out...
Old 3/19/08, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
weird, i hope you get the problem figured out...
Not weird, an easy mistake.
I think I have it figured out.
Let me draw little arrows if that might help.
Intresting airbag question...-connectors.jpg
Just look under the seat.
Old 3/20/08, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
Not weird, an easy mistake.
I think I have it figured out.
Let me draw little arrows if that might help.
Attachment 55491
Just look under the seat.

Ok, after physically removing the seat out of the car, I can tell you this...

I pulled the carpet out around that area to see if there were any other unconnected harnesses, but they aren't any.

Let me try to explain this as best as possible. The black harness comes from underneath the carpet (hooked to the SRS system). The grey harness is from the bottom of the seat. WELL on my old seats, there was black harness (under the seat) that obviously physically fit into the harness that is ran under the carpet. I looked for a matching harness EVERYWHERE and there isn't one...

In the picture of mine you edited you said "The other end of this harness has a gray connector that connects to the gray connnector in the picture." Well, that harness is ran under the carpet and meets up with a bunch of wires ran down the side of the passanger side door sill (looks like all the wires to the rear such as tail lights, speakers, etc).

Last edited by 07alloygt; 3/20/08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 3/20/08, 04:24 PM

Ok, after physically removing the seat out of the car, I can tell you this...

I pulled the carpet out around that area to see if there were any other unconnected harnesses, but they aren't any.

Let me try to explain this as best as possible. The black harness comes from underneath the carpet (hooked to the SRS system). The grey harness is from the bottom of the seat. WELL on my old seats, there was black harness (under the seat) that obviously physically fit into the harness that is ran under the carpet. I looked for a matching harness EVERYWHERE and there isn't one...

In the picture of mine you edited you said "The other end of this harness has a gray connector that connects to the gray connnector in the picture." Well, that harness is ran under the carpet and meets up with a bunch of wires ran down the side of the passanger side door sill (looks like all the wires to the rear such as tail lights, speakers, etc).
Oh CR@P.
So he didn't have heated seats and you do?
You need the harness from your old seat then.
He should need the harness from your old seat too.
Of course he will still have your seat heater in his(you have to remove the seat cover to get that out).
Does that answer it?
Old 3/20/08, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Ugggggh no...this has nothing to do with heated seats. This is an SRS air bag problem...
Old 3/20/08, 06:14 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just took a look under my passenger seat, it appears that you are missing a wiring harness. There is a harness that is attached to the bottom of the seat that has connectors on one side that connect to the connectors on the seat and to the ones from the floor on the other end.
Old 3/20/08, 06:35 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

There are three connectors on the bottom of the seat and two that attach to the one's on the floor. So the short wiring harness you are missing has 5 connectors on it. Here are a couple of pictures, they don't show much though.
Attached Thumbnails Intresting airbag question...-2008_0320first0005.jpg   Intresting airbag question...-2008_0320first0007.jpg  
Old 3/20/08, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by NJ3
I just took a look under my passenger seat, it appears that you are missing a wiring harness. There is a harness that is attached to the bottom of the seat that has connectors on one side that connect to the connectors on the seat and to the ones from the floor on the other end.
Okay, that could be it.
You are either have the wrong harness on the seat or you are missing something.
Bottom line...
Your harness coming from under the carpet has a wire on it to heat the seat.
I can't see the big yellow wire with the stripe on it on the other connector.
I thought you promised wire colors and such?
By the way, your airbag deployment wires are hooked up, just not the seat sensors including the all important seatbelt tensioners.
Old 3/20/08, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by NJ3
There are three connectors on the bottom of the seat and two that attach to the one's on the floor. So the short wiring harness you are missing has 5 connectors on it. Here are a couple of pictures, they don't show much though.
Those are the same as mine (thanks for the pics).
I think his has heated seats and a different harness from the kickplate to the seat.
It won't connect to our seats, but he has our seats now (with leather).
Old 3/20/08, 07:30 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

I'm also thinking that the connectors he needs may still be attached to the bottom of the seat frame. Either way it'll be soooooooo much easier to undue four bolts and lay the seat back to see what is missing/wrong.
Old 3/21/08, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
I'm also thinking that the connectors he needs may still be attached to the bottom of the seat frame. Either way it'll be soooooooo much easier to undue four bolts and lay the seat back to see what is missing/wrong.

Well, I took the seat out two nights ago to inspect. I cannot find anything.

THIS IS WHAT I DO KNOW: Both of us don't have heated seats, we both have side air bags. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE (I found out last night from him) is that his is a 2005 and mine is a 2007. Maybe for some reason Ford switched harnesses? I have no clue why however since as far as the seat is concerned, we have the same options.

Quick Reply: Intresting airbag question...