05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing touch screen monitor

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/15, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Here is the link for the steering wheel controller for use with Raspi or the Nexus 7 tablet (other tablets can be used if equiped correctly with bluetooth, wifi and GPS incorporated in them). This unit has great reviews for use this way. You must use the EXR style (redundant) verses the EXD which is Digital.

Amazon.com: Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control PC Interface with Accessories and USB Cable: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control PC Interface with Accessories and USB Cable: Computers & Accessories

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/8/15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11/10/15, 01:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Today I layed everything out on the bench and found one big problem. I forgot to order the male to 2 female RCA connectors. I have everything else, now I have to wait for a few days for them to get here from CA. They are very expensive here, around 15 each, while they are only 2-3 bucks each on eBay. I choose eBay. Go figure, eh? Anyways, it will be a couple days before they get here, so again, I'm sitting waiting for items. It's always that way when you do something for the first time. At least I'll have a fairly good list of everything you can use.
Old 11/10/15, 04:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
Today I layed everything out on the bench and found one big problem. I forgot to order the male to 2 female RCA connectors. I have everything else, now I have to wait for a few days for them to get here from CA. They are very expensive here, around 15 each, while they are only 2-3 bucks each on eBay. I choose eBay. Go figure, eh? Anyways, it will be a couple days before they get here, so again, I'm sitting waiting for items. It's always that way when you do something for the first time. At least I'll have a fairly good list of everything you can use.
Yep, definitely know that feeling
Old 11/11/15, 05:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Going by pricing alone, the tablet idea is around $100 cheaper in the overall costs compared to using a Raspberry Pi and Touch Screen monitor. The tablet comes with everything, including GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi built in, so there again is a cost savings. The apps are easier to use, and there in no programming involved, making the tablet idea much sweeter in my eyes. I'm still going to build the Pi Touch Screen system, but right now, the Nexus 7, 2012 model, with 4.4 build is the best I've found for this modification. The Nexus 7 fits perfectly into the dash and can be attached with the 4 regular mount bolts to hold it into its position.

I like to do things right, and sometimes I see too far down the road. lol In this case, I have the Raspberry stuff to do this and will post it up soon, for those who still want to go this route. Who knows, maybe I'll like it better once I get it situated, but right now this set up with the tablet is too good to pass up. The one draw back to this whole idea of installing my own system, is the amount of wiring and stuff it takes to put it all together.

I made up a list tonight of everything I could think of, and came up with a total of $222.20 for everything using the Nexus 7 Tablet. The cost included the SWC kit of $44. If you don't have SWC's then you can leave that price out, making the mod cheaper still. I installed a Boss Strg wheel, so I wanted the SWC's operational like how I put them in with the factory navigation head. My tablet idea, It fell together, less 2 plug in wires I forgot,. I see this as a very viable switchout for the Shaker or even the factory Navigation head, which I am removing for this mod. I'm never happy with the status quo. lol Hope this will help those who are on the edge about doing this install. It is quite doable for almost anyone, and the end rewards are much better than one could imagine until they have it in their car.

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/11/15 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11/11/15, 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That's why I was holding off getting a touchscreen for theRaspberry Pi. I just got my Pi last weekend and I think I will be using it just for TV using OSMC. I have a Nexus 7 2013 that I have been thinking about using and just picked up another 8gb model cheap on eBay, so I might just work on getting that installed. i also have a couple different headunit to play with, so just in case the tablet doesn't work out, I will just stick with one of them. The one head unit is a Pioneer Appradio 3 unit and the other is a single din Sony that has App Remote. I was hoping of using them maybe also with the tablet so that I get a nicer front end, but also need the head unit to work with my iPhone 5S.

Once I get started tearing the dash apart, I will see what works and what doesn't.

Good luck with the Raspberry Pi install. Can't wait to see it.
Old 11/11/15, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sean. The tablet idea is a piece of cake. I'm going to take one of my Pi's and make my grandkid an stand up arcade with multiple games and two player mode. I already have purchased the controls, and it is cut some lumber next. lol.

I have a full list of what it takes with where I bought them being made up. I need to put some part numbers by them and I'm done. I'll post that up tomorrow.
Old 11/11/15, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's what it took to make this system be usable and have all the creature comforts, including a mobile hotspot. It might be hard to read on here, but I can always email a better visual list to anyone who is interested.
Attached Images  
Old 11/11/15, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this thread since its inception and I am ecstatic to see where it goes. I've been looking to replace my Shaker500 hu for some time now in my 05 vert and even thought about going the whole tablet style... but had absolutely no clue how to do it. So I will definitely be following this to the end so I can hopefully turn around and do this myself in my own car.
Old 11/11/15, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by thexbigxbouncer
I've been following this thread since its inception and I am ecstatic to see where it goes. I've been looking to replace my Shaker500 hu for some time now in my 05 vert and even thought about going the whole tablet style... but had absolutely no clue how to do it. So I will definitely be following this to the end so I can hopefully turn around and do this myself in my own car.
At least now you have a break down of what I'm using and costs for my install. I hope you find that this will be a very nice intergration into your 05. I like the fact that it is limitless, in what you can add or take off. You could use multiple cameras, voice recording, etc, if you wanted. The Raspberry Pi unit will be as similar in what it can do, but I don't know the limitations or the uses yet of what it will capable of. I'll find out and post them up when I get the results. As far as the tablet, I'll be posting more as soon as my cables get here.

One thing I didn't list in my post was the mounting frame for the tablet. You really don't need one, but if you buy one, get it for the tablet itself. Metra makes a tablet mount, so that might be a way to go. I'm staying with the plastic 90 degree L brackets from an old kit to mount mine. They are simple to build and just drill the 2 holes in each side and you are set.
Old 11/17/15, 03:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tommorrow I'll try and break down and show the Nexus 7 2012 with wiring and product list, which most of the online write ups tend to leave out. I'll be using the LCA202 controller, a backup camera add on system, Joycon EXR steering wheel controls as well as wiring in the harness to accept the whole thing from the tablet. I'm hoping the 2 RCA adapter cables make it tomorrow so I can power some speakers, but if not, I'll still be able to show the write up. Other than that, it is ready to power up and make sure it is right. I'm going to make it a downloadable PDF file, and post it here. This should help anyone and can be easily downloaded. Till then..........

If anyone has any questions for me to answer before I post this final section, ask them now and I'll try my best to include them in my posting for everyone to see.

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/17/15 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11/17/15, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I picked up my second Nexus 7 over the weekend. It ended up being a 2012 model. I now have a 2012 and a 2013 model, so I can compare them together running Timurs rom.

I still have to get the Joycon EXR though.
Old 11/18/15, 03:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SeanD
I picked up my second Nexus 7 over the weekend. It ended up being a 2012 model. I now have a 2012 and a 2013 model, so I can compare them together running Timurs rom.

I still have to get the Joycon EXR though.
The Joycon is sold on Amazon for 42. I'd buy the one from eBay for 46 if it was me though. The one from Amazon has no CD disc, and you have to download everything, the one with eBay has the small controller for it also as well as the disc and stuff. I didn't catch that when ordering. What Android system you using? I'm using 4.4. It came with GPS and wifi and bluetooth all installed, making it almost a no-brainer to use. lol.

I have both a 2012 and 2013 also, but am going to use the 12. The 13 has a slot for an external microphone though, so that would make using a "SIRI" type program easier. I personally like the 12 better. JMO, of course. lol

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/18/15 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11/18/15, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

4.4 on the 2013 and I think 4.2.2 on the 2012. Timurs 2012 rom uses CM 10.1.

Both the 2012 and 2013 models have a microphone port on them, so I see them both the same. It just depends on wither or not I want to mount the cheaper tablet or more expensive tablet into the Mustang!
Old 11/19/15, 12:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

According to the one site I went on to, it said the Nexus 2012 model did not have a microphone/earphone slot, just an earphone. The 2013 supposedly has the 4 ring, mic/earphone connector in place of the older 3 ring style that the 12 has. This is the only drawback I can find to the 2012 tablet. I'm going to use a USB microphone and set it into the Hub, and use it wired remote. I only need a couple foot line, so that should be an easy remedy to the situation. I got luck and bought a high dollar new mic from a music store for $8.25 on an auction. Samson Go Mic Direct. It sells for a minimum of 38 on Amazon and is used for recording high quality voice and music recordings. I thought that was a good buy so I just snatched it up. It is so clear and filters out the background noise very well. I'm happy with this and it could be incorportated into the SYNC system I think. I'm going to research that, although I think SYNC isn't necessary with a talk and type tablet. lol. CAD has a U9 that looks very nice also, and is somewhat cheaper. To each their own on that item. lol

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/19/15 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11/21/15, 12:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok. Today I received my 2-1 RCA adapters to finish the setup. I layed everything out and what a pile of freaking wires when it is assembled. I know that I'm getting rid of the 2 3ft RCA male to male cables, and will use male/male adapter. That will cut out a heck of a lot of junk wiring. I'll try and post some pictures of the lay out tomorrow.

I was just starting to post how it's all hooked together, but after the second sentence I erased it. It's hard as heck to try and explain without the use of pictures. I'll try and do an add by add set of pics, so that it hopefully will be self explanatory this weekend.
Old 11/23/15, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any updates?
Old 11/23/15, 10:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm waiting to do a final on this until I can get my short RCA connectors. Otherwise the wiring is a freaking' nightmare. I have cords here and there right now. The LCA202 requires 2 male to male connectors to get rid of 5' of wiring that I had. They left California yesterday so should be here by Thanksgiving. That will help immensely. The Joycon is wired up. The 2 wires going to the radio, actually wire to the #18 (+) and #19 (-) wires on the J1 connector going to the ACM wiring harness. That made it easy. I'm glad I did the write up on SWC's so I remembered which was positive and negative. lol.

I was having problems with the Nexus reading the OTG cable. I was running Android 4.4, but had to upgrade to 4.4.4 to make that connection work correctly. I thought of going on to Lollipop (5.0.2) but decided to stay where I am right now. I can always update later if I feel the need. The tablet idea is definitely a win win situation. I hope the Pi is as good, or better.

According to everything I have laying in front of me, this is final pieces to this part of the project. I'm going to go ahead and do the Raspi side of this project next. Now that I have everything laid out and working, it is time to do this part. The Raspi has been sitting on the desk waiting, but tonight I pulled it out and tried to wire things up. I still have to add my board for the audio so that will be the first thing to do. This is will be a time consuming endeavor. I'm totally at a loss when it comes to the Pi. Oh well, if one doesn't try, they can never learn. Right? One drawback to this whole thing is, it won't go into the Mustang until springtime when winter leaves us once again. lol
Old 11/24/15, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

In regards to the Joycon setup. I am not going to be using anything from the factory for hookups. I am running new amps. How would the Joycon be connected up with this in mind? Would those WTP440 plugs just connect to the Joycon and then I program the Joycon and plug it into the USB hub connected to the OTG cable?

I came across a posting where someone connected in a bunch of sources liek the Nexus, BT phone and an Aux port and used a JL Audio Cleansweep Source Expander Switch. They say it handles the switching between different sources automatically, so you can get a BT USB handfree device and pair your phone to it to make/answer calls. When you activate the BT connection the CL-SES will auto switch to that source and mute the other sources. I think this is a perfect replacement for a head unit. This person also put an EQ between the Cleansweep and the AMP to clean up the signal.

I haven't received my Joycon yet as I ordered it from South Korea directly, so it will be a little while before I get it. I am just not sure how it all comes together.
Old 11/24/15, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, I see you know the wiring setup from the swc audio post on here. The Joycon hooks to the #18 and #19 wires in the Ford ACM J1 plug.. When installing the swc's, you originally have to hook up the 16-19 wires anyways. The 18 is positive and 19 negative to hook your Joycon wires. The WPT440 is now WPT1242 and cheaper. I buy mine from National Parts and they are definitely the cheapest in the US, that I've found. They are cheaper than the Motorcraft dealers pricing for some reason. lol. My Nexus came with BT, WiFi and GPS all turned on and working great. I installed the CoPilot app for my navigation. It is dead on accurate. It has my house exactly where it is on all my other GPS units. I like it coming that way from the factory.

Sean. Do you have a 2010 and up steering wheel in your car yet? One thing about using the Joycon, you won't have to change any switches, like you did for the Mustang with navigation or SYNC. You set these on the computer, so you don't have to make any chanages to hardware. This is a good thing. I have so much junk stored for this car. lol. I know I had the different switch if I'd of had to change it out.

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/24/15 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11/24/15, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am not using factory wiring for the audio system, so why would I hook the Joycon to the ACM J1 plug? I have the WPT440 plugs already. I got them last year n preparation. I am thinking I just connect up the Joycon to the WPT440, connect the Joycon to a computer and program it. Then I guess there is a way to map the program to Android function to control things?

Quick Reply: Installing touch screen monitor