05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing Nav Radio in 2008 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/08, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Nav Radio in 2008 Mustang

I recently replaced the Shaker 500 radio with a new Nav radio in my '08 GT. The installation went well, thanks to the thread on installing in an '05 model, with the same difficulty in handling the connectors on the bottom of the panel. I installed the antenna on top of the heater box, since it was fairly far forward and under the windshield, had no metal above it, was able to place the antenna facing straight up, and was easily reached by dropping the glovebox door. The radio has performed well. However, the radio does not fit evenly with the trim panel. It sticks out a bit at the top relative to the bottom. I've pulled everything again and looked at all the radio mounting tabs and they are snug against the panel, so I can't understand why this is this way. Any thoughts? Is there some other adjustment somewhere to even these up?

=Vic=
Attached Thumbnails Installing Nav Radio in 2008 Mustang-0512081637.jpg  
Old 5/13/08, 06:17 AM
nm3
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
What was the difficulty with the wires on the bottom? What did that cost to do? Does everything work correctly?
Old 5/13/08, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by nm3
What was the difficulty with the wires on the bottom? What did that cost to do? Does everything work correctly?
The wiring harness has almost no slack and getting to the connectors requires reaching around the mounting frame and figuring out the particular release mechanism on each connector. The 2 on the bottom are more difficult to reach and use different release systems, with the RH one (directs airflow) being a combination latch that takes some fiddling to release it so it swings away and lets the connector come off. It gets easier with repeated attempts, but still a tight spot.

Radio with antenna was bought new off eBay, prices range from $550-$750. New radios need to be programmed for your options (Aux input, type vehicle, etc.) as it communicates with the car for speed sensing, instrument lighting level, etc. That runs $90-$150. That's it! On mine, everything works perfectly. Radio sounds good, the multiple MP3 player is awesome, and the GPS tracks dead-on and calculates rerouting extremely fast. That said, it does not appear any more capable than VZNavigator on my cell phone and actually a bit more "insecure" in that it often, in my very rural area, announces it can no longer provide turn-by-turn directions as the map data is incomplete, so it highlights the route in yellow and stays silent. Those "yellow" routes are totally correct, in my experience, but you have to keep an eye on the map as you drive when that is on. VZNavigator keeps directing right to the destination.

=Vic=
Old 5/13/08, 04:23 PM
GT Member

OK, I took the dash apart again and now see what the issue is. The radio has a post on the back with a rubber cover (as did the Shaker) and that rests on top of a brace bar behind the radio. As it is, it prevents the radio from rocking back so no amount of washers on the bottom screws would help. I found this post screws on to a smaller post coming out of the radio, so I removed the outer layer of rubber and thicker post and it helps. Still not perfect, but a little better. I also checked the side brackets and there is no adjustment in those, so this seems to be just the way it is.

=Vic=
Old 5/13/08, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

FWIW, I have a factory installed nav radio and it does not fit flush. The bottom sticks out about an 1/8 more than the top.
Old 5/19/08, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
FWIW, I have a factory installed nav radio and it does not fit flush. The bottom sticks out about an 1/8 more than the top.
Well, this turns out to not be such a mystery, and I only post this to prevent others from making the same mistake as I did. Turns out that rubber covered post on the back of the radio is supposed to fit in the middle of that cross brace behind the dash. If it sits on top, the top will stick out like mine did. If under that brace, the bottom will sitck out. If you're careful, reaching up under and behind the radio as you guide it in, you can fit that post right in the hole it is supposed to go in in the middle of the brace. When in correctly the radio fits perfectly even with the dash.

As as aside, while I had the ruber cover off that post, I seemed to be receiving fewer satellites than I do now that it is back on. Perhaps that is a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

=Vic=
Old 5/19/08, 10:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have been watching the other thread on nav installation, others that have installed the nav system are getting a speed error. Are you getting this error?
Old 5/19/08, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by denlem
If you have been watching the other thread on nav installation, others that have installed the nav system are getting a speed error. Are you getting this error?
No speed errors at all and the Nav comes up after the stupid disclaimer notice and tracks properly immediately, even if the no-GPS icon is lit. That indicates it is doing its dead-reckoning thing using the vehicle speed input and the direction sensors in the radio. Note that my Mustang and Nav unit are both 2008 models (built latter part of 2007) and the speed error issue seems to be in prior to 2007 models, from what I've read.

If I do a self-diagnostic routine I get something called an ECU configuration error. I suspect that relates to a Satellite radio function which seems to have been enabled on mine, even though I don't have it. The SAT button comes up on the Media screen, but if you press it there is an SDARS configuration failure note on the top line. Perhaps that means I could add the module later without having to reprogram the radio? Anyway, it is certainly not a problem as I just don't select it.

=Vic=
Old 5/20/08, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
Well, this turns out to not be such a mystery, and I only post this to prevent others from making the same mistake as I did. Turns out that rubber covered post on the back of the radio is supposed to fit in the middle of that cross brace behind the dash. If it sits on top, the top will stick out like mine did. If under that brace, the bottom will sitck out. If you're careful, reaching up under and behind the radio as you guide it in, you can fit that post right in the hole it is supposed to go in in the middle of the brace. When in correctly the radio fits perfectly even with the dash.

As as aside, while I had the ruber cover off that post, I seemed to be receiving fewer satellites than I do now that it is back on. Perhaps that is a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

=Vic=
Sounds like mine is sitting under the brace. With factory installed, I guess 'careful' can't be part of the process

Thanks for the info.
Old 5/29/08, 08:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that a stock Nav radio?? From Ford or aftermarket?? Been away from the radio subject for awhile and this is all new to me.

Last I saw my 2005 radio was NOT compaitble with anything.
Really want ipod & satellite radio integrated into my Shaker 500....??

Last edited by Barricade; 5/29/08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 5/29/08, 08:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Lampoon
Is that a stock Nav radio?? From Ford or aftermarket?? Been away from the radio subject for awhile and this is all new to me.

Last I saw my 2005 radio was compaitble with anything.
Really want ipod & satellite radio integrated into my Shaker 500....??
Radio is a "new" stock Nav radio with the Ford logo on startup, actually made by Panasonic, as I recall. This is the same radio now available on new Mustangs as a Factory Installed option and fits where the Shaker 500 radio goes. On Mustangs older that sometime in 2007 the vehicle speed sensor output is different, as is the antena connector. The latter can be fixed easily with an inexpensive adapter, but the speed sensor will give an error on startup from what I've read. That error message goes away and the nav works fine as long as satellites are visible. On newer Mustangs it all works as it is supposed to.

=Vic=
Old 5/29/08, 09:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
Pretty sure that is only a problem on cars that did not have the NAV system as an option at the time it was built ...
Old 6/11/08, 12:39 AM

Beargap, PM/emailed you re: removed Shaker 500.
Old 12/23/21, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Beargap
I recently replaced the Shaker 500 radio with a new Nav radio in my '08 GT. The installation went well, thanks to the thread on installing in an '05 model, with the same difficulty in handling the connectors on the bottom of the panel. I installed the antenna on top of the heater box, since it was fairly far forward and under the windshield, had no metal above it, was able to place the antenna facing straight up, and was easily reached by dropping the glovebox door. The radio has performed well. However, the radio does not fit evenly with the trim panel. It sticks out a bit at the top relative to the bottom. I've pulled everything again and looked at all the radio mounting tabs and they are snug against the panel, so I can't understand why this is this way. Any thoughts? Is there some other adjustment somewhere to even these up?

=Vic=

Want to ask what the NAV unit is called and wondering if it would fit in a 08 Bullitt
Old 10/2/22, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I know this is from 2008 but lots of good info here and the other navigation thread. So I took a risk guy had one the pioneer ford version on ebay for best offer out of 2008 Expedition had the chrome *****. I offered 50 and he accepted he had upgraded. I bought a $10 gps antenna on amazon pink plug. It is magnetic I stuck it above the metal bar above the glove box. As soon as I plugged the nav system in it started to load got the ford screen and it loaded the dvd map that was in it 12p. So far everything works because its out of an Expedition it has rear dvd which the mustang doesn't have and i don't need. One hint when pulling the center bezel the wires on the bottom the connectors are easy to see and unhook if you do it from behind through the foot wells. So far Im happy with it I think it sounds better than my shaker 500. I have not checked out the speed volume thing yet, thought that was a convertible thing. I may update maps to 13p those are from 2012 or 2015. 12p i think is 2011 or 2012
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (10/2/22)
Old 10/2/22, 04:41 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Humm Maybe I should put mine up for sale. I got it to work with my 07 mustang and it has SYNC.
Glad you got yours to work.
Old 11/17/22, 08:51 AM

2014 mustang radio

Can someone please help me in putting in a pioneer to my 2014 mustang and the aftermarket wiring harness doesent have white or grey wires to wire in my front speakers can someone help
I’m installing a double sun with metra dash kit all I need to know is how do I get my front speakers wired in, can I connect them to the green and purple or will that mess up the radio

thanks.
Old 11/17/22, 08:59 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by blue stang
Can someone please help me in putting in a pioneer to my 2014 mustang and the aftermarket wiring harness doesent have white or grey wires to wire in my front speakers can someone help
I’m installing a double sun with metra dash kit all I need to know is how do I get my front speakers wired in, can I connect them to the green and purple or will that mess up the radio

thanks.
​​​​​​@VGMStudios Might Know! I just Paged Him for You!
VGMStudios (11/17/22)
Old 11/17/22, 11:56 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Thing is I dont know the 2014 all to well. Im mostly 05-09 but I can try to help but Ill need pictures.
The one WHITE wire I can find is LEFT Speaker according to this:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=130%20...Navigation.pdf

There is no GREY only wire.
05stangkc (11/17/22)